• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

No Copper Ski Trip

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should have flown out from Scotland to Copper Mountain on Monday.

My Mum took ill over the weekend and was finally admitted to hopsital as an emergency on Sunday, we were probably hours away from losing her.

Mum is still seriously ill. We've had to deal with severe dehydration, acute renal failure, sepsis, pneumonia and communication issues (possible clot). This all seemed to stem from an ear infection.

I had looked forward to this trip for a very long time, was even thinking about being brave and seeing if there were any Divas that fancied meeting up. Now that all seems so unimportant.

Today it is really starting to hit that Mum is going to face a very long recuperation period.

So fellow divas, do a couple of runs for Mum and I over the next few days.

Jilly

Staff member
ScottishGirlie, I was where you are just 6 weeks ago with the Diva Summit and had to cancel. I hope all bodes well and Mum is on her way to recovery. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Jilly, thanx for that. It is all a bit weird at the moment - I'm in practical mode for most of the time. At least I'm not having to worry about work just now so that I can deal with Mum, her doggie, her friends etc.

Is your relative OK now? Really hope so.

Jilly

Staff member
No, sorry to say. My father passed away 5 weeks ago today. So I do know where you are, and what you are feeling. People couldn't believe that I was into the office and the hospital daily. It can be done, and is done because we have to. One of the advantages of being female. We understand priorities, family first!

Look after yourself too. That's all I can say.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your mom, SG, and sorry you had to cancel your trip.

Hope she has a fast and speedy recovery.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
We may be at Copper Friday, and I will dedicate a couple of runs to you both.
:grouphug:

Hopefully all will be well soon. Too many ski trips canceled due to family loss/crisis among Divas and my own personal friends this winter.
:(

So sorry to hear that your trip was canceled, but good news that your Mom survived the health crisis. May her recovery be steady and speedy, and best wishes to you, good daughter.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Jilly no. I'm so, so sorry. I lost my Dad two years ago so know how that feels. I just hope that you're doing OK. Really feel for you and thinking of you too.

Thanx as well Ski Diva.

XX

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx mollmeister. I was in Copper last year and my favourite runs were Overlode and the bumps on Little Burn. Have a blast on one of those for me.

ski now work later, that;s really nice of you too, thanx.

You guys are all so wonderful here.

XX

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Should also have said that my mother-in-law got airlifted to hospital on Sunday too. Thankfully she was released from hospital yesterday. Her problems stemmed from her reacting badly to her chest/heart medicine dosages being changed recently.

My husband and I haven't seen a lot of each other over the last few days.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you Jenny.

One nice thing over the last few days has been having a doggie in the house as my Mum's black lab is now living with us. She is so much fun and full of cuddles, totally cheeky too!!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry about your Mum!

Abbi,
So sorry to hear about your Mum! Strangely, I will be in Copper for a day next week and will definitely think of you and your Mum on a run or two!
Will send you a PM from Colorado and send positive thoughts in general your way!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aww, thanx Ski Spirit, that's really nice of you.

I'm gutted I'm not there. One day it would be nice to hook up with some of you. So many of you seem to be in or around the area when I should have been there, I feel I have missed a chance. Maybe next year.

Watch out for some crazy Scots though. I was going to be staying with friends who are out there until the 11th. But there is also another family I know who I hadn't seen for years that I was going to hook up with. All the kids are great little skiers so keep your eyes peeled!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear your news and I hope your Mum is much much better an recovers quickly. Shame about your ski trip too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SO very sorry to hear about your mother's illness, SG....:(
:hug: from the Divas.
We will be thinking about you, her and your family - sounds like it's a "full plate" right now with your mother-in-law having been ill as well.

Copper will still be here next year, and the year after that.
You've only got one mom.

Sending healing thoughts her way.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't add anything more...you & you're family are in my thoughts.:hug:

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much again everyone for all your best wishes and positive thoughts.

Mum is coming on in small steps. They removed all her drips today, her CT scan came back clear and they also cleaned up her ear a bit. She even managed a shower today. Not bad for someone who had a temperature of 40.1 degrees centigrade on Sunday.

I'm still worried about her speech and communication, things aren't quite right. Hopefully we'll get a chance to speak to a doc tomorrow to see what is what. I know is is baffling them as well.

Small steps I guess...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga