• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NJ travelers to Vermont/ Stratton

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gotta be honest - all these differnt state policies have got me really confused. It almost prevents you from doing quick weekend trips. So I see Killington is opening up reservations for Parking passes - does anyone on Ikon here plan to make reservations? Do you think they will sell out and limit our ability to use the allotted days?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Gotta be honest - all these differnt state policies have got me really confused. It almost prevents you from doing quick weekend trips. So I see Killington is opening up reservations for Parking passes - does anyone on Ikon here plan to make reservations? Do you think they will sell out and limit our ability to use the allotted days?

it’s definitely intended to prevent quick weekend trips unless you’re coming from a non-quarantine county.

I’m on IKON and don’t plan on making parking reservations for Killington anytime soon. It’s too early for me to know when I plan to go. I’m in-state and only about 90 minutes away, however, so it’s easier for me to pick a day to go on relatively short notice.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it’s definitely intended to prevent quick weekend trips unless you’re coming from a non-quarantine county.

Which in VT means that only basically Vermonters can do those weekenders (or a few places in Maine). This has all made me curious what the numbers in a normal year are for guests to Killington or Okemo or Stowe or all of the VT resorts and smaller ski areas. What percentage in/out of state. Anyone know or have a guess?

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Which in VT means that only basically Vermonters can do those weekenders (or a few places in Maine). This has all made me curious what the numbers in a normal year are for guests to Killington or Okemo or Stowe or all of the VT resorts and smaller ski areas. What percentage in/out of state. Anyone know or have a guess?
In normal days, Killington and Mt Snow are full of people from MA. I think NY folks also flock to Mt Snow. I would hazard a guess that a majority of the weekend crowd are from a nearby state that would be required to quarantine now.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In normal days, Killington and Mt Snow are full of people from MA. I think NY folks also flock to Mt Snow. I would hazard a guess that a majority of the weekend crowd are from a nearby state that would be required to quarantine now.
Thanks @alr for these insights. Makes me wonder how less crowded slopes will be (also curious about Okemo). I know some folks who like to go to Sugarbush from NJ (well, in the past the would).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I don't know the percentages, but in a regular year Okemo is full of people from Connecticut.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm prepared to be mistaken, but I thought that part of the point of requiring. reservations was to keep skier numbers at a manageable level and allow a daily determination of whether or how many non-passholder lift tickets should be sold?

If lifts are going to operate at 50% capacity for non-family/pod members, then lines could quickly become gruesome without any sort of limits on # of skiers per day. I can also imagine some pressure coming from people in long lines for everyone to just "group up" and pretend they are in the same family rather than leave four out of every six seats on a chair unoccupied while a hundred people wait in line.

Last edited:

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm prepared to be mistaken, but I thought that part of the point of requiring. reservations was to keep skier numbers at a manageable level and allow a daily determination of whether or how many non-passholder lift tickets should be sold?

If lifts are going to operate at 50% capacity for non-family/pod members, then lines could quickly become gruesome without any sort of limits on # of skiers per day. I can also imagine some pressure coming from people in long lines for everyone to just "group up" and pretend they are in the same family rather than leave four out of every six seats on a chair unoccupied while a hundred people wait in line.
Yes that makes sense about why reservations (keep at manageable level) but if people follow travel/quarantine restrictions (a big if) then seems so much less people will be out there on the mountain to begin with?

to share: I called the VT Dept of Health today to discuss some of the issues I am concerned and curious about. Brought up the how can people travel from CT/NJ/etc and stop and get food, bathroom issue -- while someone in Orford, NH, say, with zero cases cannot go shopping once a week -- and they said that the rules were different (that people cannot actually go into places, just contact-less). Looks like the conversation may result in their website being clarified as we went on the site together and they saw that they did not have that info on there at all, that it only said needed to maintain distance. Also asked about a few other things and will be following back up with them to continue to get clarity. They were open and helpful.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
while someone in Orford, NH, say, with zero cases cannot go shopping once a week -

Just to clarify a couple of points: Orford has active COVID cases, according to the NH DOH. Food shopping is considered essential travel, so if you live in Orford, you can shop, say, at the Bradford, VT Hannafords as often as you like.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to clarify a couple of points: Orford has active COVID cases, according to the NH DOH. Food shopping is considered essential travel, so if you live in Orford, you can shop, say, at the Bradford, VT Hannafords as often as you like.
Hi. I was talking about shopping for food while quarantining. That is not allowed and that has been my point about this all (I know forums are not clear!) (I was not talking about being able to cross the river to shop, which I understand, I was talking about rules during quarantine to be able to ski as of now. Hope that is clear).

Yes right now Orford is 1-4 cases, your are right, but still the point about being low to no cases and less that some VT towns. I could have picked another town in Grafton like Wentworth with no cases as example but I hear you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna