• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newton's First Law

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
I was reading the post about women who want to ski as fast as their spouses....
Most mentioned they couldn't...
Well, unless you have the same mass or weight as your hubby, you won't be able to....
It's just physics, not a testament to your skill....

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I was reading the post about women who want to ski as fast as their spouses....
Most mentioned they couldn't...
Well, unless you have the same mass or weight as your hubby, you won't be able to....
It's just physics, not a testament to your skill....
Uh there is a lot more to it than that. Skill plays into it, quite heavily. I am a lot faster than Mr. perma-grin. In the course and out of it! Your skill and ability have more to do with how fast you are on the slope, than your mass and weight. I'm 5'5" 135lbs he's 6' 200lbs. I always give him 3 gates in a dual course and I still catch and pass him. There are quite a few women on this forums I'm sure that have similar results. Your ability to roll cleanly onto the new edge high and early in the turn will seriously effect how much speed your ski will create and carry. Even on a cat track your stance on the ski has a lot to do with how much speed you can carry.

P.S. I love your signature Lol!!!!

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
While I would agree that you are a better skier than your spouse, I would hazard a guess that among World Cup skiers of equivalent ability, the men are faster than the women because they have more mass

abc

Banned
I would hazard a guess that among World Cup skiers of equivalent ability, the men are faster than the women because they have more mass
I doubt that.

They have to negociate gates! So, we're not talking about straightline speeds.

Even in casual skiing down the slope, without gates, I can reach the bottom faster than many heavy guy if I straightlining it! It's the fact that I don't want to straightlining it which cause me (and many other women) to reach the bottom a lot later than man, regardless of mass. Yes, combination of fear of speed and lack of skill, but not lack of mass.

BTW, that's Newton's SECOND law, not first (the first law merely say objects moving will continue to move AT THE SAME SPEED).

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Were not talking about world cup athletes or even my CUSSA kids but the women on this forum and skiers in general. In the world cup the male and female athletes are on equal ability levels and then yes strength plays a big part of it, not so much mass. If that were true then littler gals like tamera mc kinny and Debbie armstrong would never have stood a chance in the world cup. However they were stronger and more skilled than there competitors in the world cup so they won. Please don't asume that because a women is smaller that she can't compensate by improving her skiing skills. My SO is a level 1 instructor working on his level 2 his skiing doesn't suck ,( as are most of the male Instructors that I train) I wait for them they don't wait for me. When I was a younger women my girlfriends I and I routinely "chicked" guys on our beer leagues so that we didn't have to pay for our drinks in the bar after races.(please don't act like none of you have done this before you know you have!) Chicking is when a male racer is beat by a female racer usually after making a bet. Ability, correct application of ski skills along with good equipment choices and proper alignment,are and always have been the great equalizer in skiing. These things all more than compensate for lack of mass. I have many female students that now have to wait for their spouses or partners at the bottom of the run. These women are all smaller than their partners. The difference is these women have all worked towards improving their skiing skills and there spouses have not. The most common question that I am asked from the males that I train and teach is "How do you ski so fast"? My answer is " I spend more time on edge carving than skidding!" A carved tun is a faster turn than a skidded turn it's pretty simple. Tip from the top of the turn not after the falline has been engaged. And I work very hard to stay in balance moving into the new turn not away from it. Speed is our friend!:wink:

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually let my husband go 1st, since he is more likely to go down than I am, that way I am there to pick up the pieces. He thinks he is faster, but I can smoke his 190 pound butt if I want to...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know nuthin' 'bout physics.

But what I do know is that I can be even or ahead of a guy until we get to a flat section. Then he just keeps going and going and I'm left in the dust. And THAT is definitely momentum (annoying, too).

abc

Banned
I don't know nuthin' 'bout physics.

But what I do know is that I can be even or ahead of a guy until we get to a flat section. Then he just keeps going and going and I'm left in the dust. And THAT is definitely momentum (annoying, too).
Even THAT, is not a given.

The size of the ski also matters (and the wax job). I noticed that when I got my skis freshly waxed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga