• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis

The Jenner

Diva in Training
I'm looking to buy my first pair of skis in many years. I've been renting for the past few seasons. Mostly I ski at okemo mountain in Vermont and like blues and blacks for trails. I'm 5'6" and 150 ponds. I'm not a very aggressive skier, probably an advanced intermediate skier. Could go up to $1000 with skis and bindings. I'd rather spend about $800 though. What are your favorites? Thank you.

Jilly

Staff member
First what about your boots? Did you get them from a ski shop or box store. Boots are your connection to the ski. This is where you need to spend good money.

What skis/models have you been renting?

Welcome to our world and our Ski Diva's home mountain is Okemo.

The Jenner

Diva in Training
Thank you Jilly. I last skied on a demo pair of Kastle skis from the boot pro. I'm not remembering the model - they were heavy and tough to get on edge for me. I would have wanted something lighter with a little more flex then. I can't remember the boot model.

I'm looking at a pair of Technica Cochise 85 boots. What do you think?
Many thanks!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Many thanks!!

First, get to a bootfitter (like The Boot Pro) and get fitted for boots before purchasing skis. After you are happy in your new boots, you can demo skis. There are tons of skis out there that are great...it depends which fits your style.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Hi @The Jenner -

You're probably not going to like the answer =) The answer is that everyone's foot is different, so there is no way for someone to tell you over the internet what boot is right for you. The best rated boot is useless unless it fits your foot and you can flex it appropriately. So you really do need to go to a professional - a boot FITTER, not just a person at a store that sells boots - and get them to make you some recommendations. And you may find that you need some adjustments after purchase.

Be aware that ski boots don't fit like shoes. They should not be actively uncomfortable - although they will be surprisingly tight the first few days you ski them. The typical expression is "like a firm handshake." That's pretty tight compared to shoes. Think of your boot as a mechanical interface to your bindings and skis, rather than footwear.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome ..yes to boots.. huge yes to demos I also ski okemo. I love my atomic cloud 11. Great on the cordoroy at okemo. Atomic lady skis are light.. maybe I'll see you on the mt..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga