• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis for intermediate skier trying to gain confidence - Help please!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm basically the same size as you, 5'1" and 100 lbs., and really enjoy my Yumis. They're my skis I take out west, and I use them on powder days, even though they're only 84 at the waist. Not that I'm very good in powder. lol

Anyhow, as others have said definitely demo if you can. Black Pearl and Yumis are very different skis. I'm not personally familiar with any of those other skis, as I haven't demoed anything since 2018 due to being a poor college student again and not leaving PA.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can also go to a ski shop and see if they do demos. That's how I handled it this year and the people I worked with were great. Really knowledgeable about what would probably work best for my abilities. I tried the Black Crow Captis Birdies, Black Pearl 88s, and Santa Ana 98s because they didn't have the 93s. They were all good skis but the Black Crows just felt like they were part of my feet.
I would love to demo the Black Crow Captis Birdies - the reviews are so great! Anyone else here have them!?!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! New user here, but I'm similar to your size (5'1" / 110 lbs) and I love my Rossignol Stargazers! I took some time to demo the Blizzard Black Pearl, Volkl Yumi, and Blizzard Sheeva 9, and the Stargazers won by a mile for me due to how light and maneuverable, yet also how damp they are. I ski mostly at Mammoth and I started this season as an intermediate (Upper Solitude was scary for me), and now I've advanced to doing double black mogul runs down the top of the mountain. These skis are great to progress and learn on - I felt like my skiing ability went up several notches just because of these skis.
My second choice was the Blizzard Sheeva 9 - they were probably equally light and maneuverable, but they began to chatter as soon as the snow had even a hint of iciness. I might've demo'd a size too small, but they didn't have the 157 available unfortunately.
I did like the Volkl Yumis a lot as well, they might be just the slightest bit more stable/carve slightly better, but they felt almost too long on my feet - I didn't feel like I could turn as easily as I wanted to when going through bumpier terrain. I demo'd the exact same length as the Stargazers for these (154).
The Blizzard Black Pearls were not my cup of tea. After being on these other lighter, more playful skis, they just did not feel nearly as fun.
Let us know what you choose! :smile:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fay, I am small also. 5'1 @ 92 pounds. I have the Captis Birdie and love it. This is a wonderful ski.

I also have a pair of Renoun Earharts @ 88. I like the Black Crows better. The Earhart is a ski you may want to consider, but can be hard to demo in your area.
Lots of women like the Santa Ana skis from Nordica. I have not tried those.
Stockli makes one of their Nela skis in an 88 and 96. I have the Nela 80 and it has become my new best friend on almost all terrain. However when I skied this past season in lots of ungroomed snow I used the Birdie and was delighted with the performance.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fay, I am small also. 5'1 @ 92 pounds. I have the Captis Birdie and love it. This is a wonderful ski.

I also have a pair of Renoun Earharts @ 88. I like the Black Crows better. The Earhart is a ski you may want to consider, but can be hard to demo in your area.
Lots of women like the Santa Ana skis from Nordica. I have not tried those.
Stockli makes one of their Nela skis in an 88 and 96. I have the Nela 80 and it has become my new best friend on almost all terrain. However when I skied this past season in lots of ungroomed snow I used the Birdie and was delighted with the performance.
Thanks I"ve never heard of the Renoun Earharts - I'm intrigued! It looks like you can only buy online? I'd be worried about the complexity of duties and taxes on order from USA at that price and the return. BUT saying that if I go to Maine or DC area for Xmas I could bring them back with me... hehe.

All great suggestions. I wish I could demo all. But Captis Birdie sounds like it might be great for WB skiing.

I'm worried the Nela 88 would be too difficult for me to ski for my ability - more timid, intermediate level... (sigh) ... any thoughts on that?

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dang those sound good too. I just watched the ski essentials video review.
Blues to Double Blacks!!! Amazing.

So many choices. Anyone have any tips where a petite woman can demo all these skis in Whistler?
Hi! New user here, but I'm similar to your size (5'1" / 110 lbs) and I love my Rossignol Stargazers! I took some time to demo the Blizzard Black Pearl, Volkl Yumi, and Blizzard Sheeva 9, and the Stargazers won by a mile for me due to how light and maneuverable, yet also how damp they are. I ski mostly at Mammoth and I started this season as an intermediate (Upper Solitude was scary for me), and now I've advanced to doing double black mogul runs down the top of the mountain. These skis are great to progress and learn on - I felt like my skiing ability went up several notches just because of these skis.
My second choice was the Blizzard Sheeva 9 - they were probably equally light and maneuverable, but they began to chatter as soon as the snow had even a hint of iciness. I might've demo'd a size too small, but they didn't have the 157 available unfortunately.
I did like the Volkl Yumis a lot as well, they might be just the slightest bit more stable/carve slightly better, but they felt almost too long on my feet - I didn't feel like I could turn as easily as I wanted to when going through bumpier terrain. I demo'd the exact same length as the Stargazers for these (154).
The Blizzard Black Pearls were not my cup of tea. After being on these other lighter, more playful skis, they just did not feel nearly as fun.
Let us know what you choose! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Been a few years since I've been out, but there was a Hut at the top of Blackcomb that demo'd skis. As for the Renouns, they're made in Quebec, shipped back to Vermont for sale. With the exchange etc I found them a little too $$ even with a CSIA discount.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Been a few years since I've been out, but there was a Hut at the top of Blackcomb that demo'd skis. As for the Renouns, they're made in Quebec, shipped back to Vermont for sale. With the exchange etc I found them a little too $$ even with a CSIA discount.
Yes I remember that demo hut as my husband demo'd a few things. But I recall he found it difficult as skis he wanted to try were often out etc. I will for sure look into it. I recall again with my husband some shops would let you demo and put that money back towards the ski purchase but not all places had all the brands and models he wanted to try so it was quite expensive as they charged $80. Anyway will look into!

Another question WHEN do people go buy new skis? People here seem to start buying in autumn around October /November - that's when the most of the new selection is in. This crazy covid season it was insane as ski shops sold out of product quickly.

Renouns are likely too expensive for me with the exchange to committ buy online and test out. Shame Canadians can't buy via Quebec and return in Quebec if they are made in Canada!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....I stick to blues and I"m overly cautious and slow. My husband says I'm a better skier than I think I am and a lot of it is down to confidence. I'm now not wanting to get left behind as my kids skiing progress and everyone seems to be much better skiers. I go a bit off piste into bumps and a bit of trees only when coaxed and sometimes into the Whistler bowls. I'm really going to focus on trying to get my skiing into the more advance level next season. I don't know how to carve yet.....
@FayGoneAstray, would you talk a little about what's going on when you feel this lack of confidence? What trails, what speed, what type of snow conditions, bring about insecure feelings?

Your answers may help people guide you in what to buy.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@FayGoneAstray, would you talk a little about what's going on when you feel this lack of confidence? What trails, what speed, what type of snow conditions, bring about insecure feelings?

Your answers may help people guide you in what to buy.
According to my husband I ski much slower than my ability. I get insecure about getting out of control and if I start going faster I like to slow myself down - so I work my legs really hard as I"m fighting gravity a bit. As a result I often feel like my legs are getting tired - that I'm doing a non stop squat. To add I'm in decent shape - I run regularly I tell my huband it's easier for me to run 10km than go down a steeper slope for 5 minutes. My husband said this year he noticed I'm picking up confidence and going faster and improving.

I think I have issues being in the correct position on my skis. I sit in the back seat - especially on steeper or more difficult terrain. I feel like my turn technique and body position need correcting.

I hate skiing on ice and zero visibility I panic when I can't see ahead of me. This would be the same in a dark room or a ski hill... I feel physically ill. But this often isn't much of a regular problem. This is zero visibility conditions.

I'm generally a person who likes to feel in control and I'm cautious, risk averse and a worrier by nature. So not the greatest attributes for a skier getting back into it after over tweny , or twenty-five years off! This was only third season? (and my first season with a season's pass) after twenty something years off (and I never did ski school when I learned). And season 1 I only got a 5 day pass... season 2 a 10 day pass and this last season I skied the most with my pass and my husband said he noticed.

I love groomers and I'm not comfortable in deep powder.. But there was one day this past season with some fresh powder that wasn't so deep I could go through it but it slowed me slightly and I loved it! I hate high moguls and I"m afraid of steeps and hitting ice.

Sorry for the essay!

Jilly

Staff member
I know Tim is still in WB. I'll have to see about Lisa and/or Lu. They both stayed east this past winter. The women's weekend camps are really good. Only WB' s best get to teach those.

newboots

Angel Diva
Five days, 10 days, and one season pass - you are right on schedule to have more confidence!

I was super-slow and often skied with @Abbi . One day I almost caught up with her - I asked her if she was slowing down or if I was skiing faster! It sneaks up on you.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to my husband I ski much slower than my ability. I get insecure about getting out of control and if I start going faster I like to slow myself down - so I work my legs really hard as I"m fighting gravity a bit. As a result I often feel like my legs are getting tired - that I'm doing a non stop squat. To add I'm in decent shape - I run regularly I tell my huband it's easier for me to run 10km than go down a steeper slope for 5 minutes. My husband said this year he noticed I'm picking up confidence and going faster and improving.

I think I have issues being in the correct position on my skis. I sit in the back seat - especially on steeper or more difficult terrain. I feel like my turn technique and body position need correcting.

I hate skiing on ice and zero visibility I panic when I can't see ahead of me. This would be the same in a dark room or a ski hill... I feel physically ill. But this often isn't much of a regular problem. This is zero visibility conditions.

I'm generally a person who likes to feel in control and I'm cautious, risk averse and a worrier by nature. So not the greatest attributes for a skier getting back into it after over tweny , or twenty-five years off! This was only third season? (and my first season with a season's pass) after twenty something years off (and I never did ski school when I learned). And season 1 I only got a 5 day pass... season 2 a 10 day pass and this last season I skied the most with my pass and my husband said he noticed.

I love groomers and I'm not comfortable in deep powder.. But there was one day this past season with some fresh powder that wasn't so deep I could go through it but it slowed me slightly and I loved it! I hate high moguls and I"m afraid of steeps and hitting ice.

Sorry for the essa
@FayGoneAstray, here are the things I'm noticing in your post above.

Speed and skill and mileage
According to my husband I ski much slower than my ability. My husband said this year he noticed I'm picking up confidence and going faster and improving. ...
It sounds like your husband, like many recreational skiers, equates speed with skill. Sure, people with more skill may often go fast. But that does not mean people who go fast have more skill. It sounds like your husband thinks if you gain confidence somehow, then you'll go faster and therefore your skill will improve. This is not true. Skill comes from doing things that work. That requires knowing technically what to do, and working on getting your resistant body to do those good technical things regularly enough so that they become a new habit, replacing the old. Learning to do new skills properly has to be learned on low pitch terrain and slow speeds with a lot of repetition. No one can focus on doing new movements when they are intimidated, so slowness and low pitch are essential for learning. Your husband does not know this.

Practice makes perfect; mileage builds skills
...this last season I skied the most with my pass and my husband said he noticed.
Your husband also sounds like he may believe that mileage will make a person a better skier. This is not necessarily true; practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. It's clearly time for some lessons, with a real instructor, one who knows how to teach novice adults. The longer you wait to get good instruction, the more difficult it will be to replace technically bad habits with technically good ones. The bad ones will get embedded even deeper. Deeply embedded habits will assert themselves when you try to do something new and better, interrupting and subverting your learning.

Insecurity about getting out of control
I get insecure about getting out of control and if I start going faster. I like to slow myself down.
Good! Your inbuilt sense of self-preservation is at work. If your skill set is inadequate to keep you in control at speed, then you need to slow down. There are technically good ways, and technically bad ways, to slow down. If it

Using friction to slow down
...so I work my legs really hard as I"m fighting gravity a bit. As a result I often feel like my legs are getting tired - that I'm doing a non stop squat.
This is the bad way to slow down. If it feels like you are doing a non-stop squat, then you are. Using your edged skis to scrape forcefully against the snow to slow you down will wear you out. No amount of strength and endurance will fix this. Good technique will fix it. You need to learn good technical ways to slow down that don't use scraping against the snow. Turns should not be linked hockey-stops.

Fatigue
To add I'm in decent shape - I run regularly I tell my huband it's easier for me to run 10km than go down a steeper slope for 5 minutes.
See above.

Back seat
Skiing in the back seat is like doing continuous wall-sits. It's tiring. And it eliminates your ability to use the front half of your skis to start your turns. That's an essential skill. You need an instructor to help you get out of the back seat. There are techniques for teaching this. You need lots of practice on unintimidating terrain, at slow speeds, under a watchful eye of an instructor, where there are no crowds.

Unsure about turn technique
I feel like my turn technique and body position need correcting. This was only third season? (and my first season with a season's pass) after twenty something years off (and I never did ski school when I learned).
Yes, you need instruction to learn good technique. It doesn't come naturally, nor does it come from mileage, nor from confidence, nor from speed. Good technique can keep you as slow as you want on any terrain, and it can give you that sense of control that everyone wants to have. If you can go slow, you can go fast. Why? Because you know you can slow down at any time. Learning to go slow is the key to confidence and the entryway to skill-building. Imagine if you could go down a field of big moguls, one mogul at a time, stopping after each one. That would be sloooow. Your confidence in those moguls would rise phenomenally. Same thing on steeps, on ice, and on any groomer in any condition. Go slow first, to learn to go fast later.

Hate for skiing on ice
I hate skiing on ice...
This is a skill you can learn. In this case, the type of ski you use matters on ice. You need narrow skis (waist below 80), with stiff torsional flex, little rocker, and sharp edges. And you need good technique. Otherwise, it's OK to stay off the ice.

Panic in zero visibility
I panic when I can't see ahead of me. This would be the same in a dark room or a ski hill... I feel physically ill. But this often isn't much of a regular problem. This is zero visibility conditions.
We all want to see where we are going. Blind skiers need a coach speaking to them as they ski. If we don't worry about zero visibility, there's something faulty about our sense of self-preservation.

Desire for control & worry over the risks; concern that this is a bad attitude
I'm generally a person who likes to feel in control and I'm cautious, risk averse and a worrier by nature. So not the greatest attributes for a skier getting back into it after over tweny , or twenty-five years off!
Wanting to ski in control is a good thing. Concern over the risks inherent in skiing is valid. People do get hurt. You need good technique to ski in control and safely. So take lessons. Not a lesson, lessons.

Love for groomers, fear/hate of high moguls, steeps, and ice
Not knowing how to ski unfamiliar conditions will produce caution in any intelligent person. Take lessons.

Am I too blunt? I hope not. This has been a very busy day for me and I wanted to get this all written before I turn in. Best of luck with your upcoming season!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I stick to blues and I"m overly cautious and slow. My husband says I'm a better skier than I think I am and a lot of it is down to confidence. I'm now not wanting to get left behind as my kids skiing progress and everyone seems to be much better skiers. I go a bit off piste into bumps and a bit of trees only when coaxed and sometimes into the Whistler bowls. I'm really going to focus on trying to get my skiing into the more advance level next season. I don't know how to carve yet.

Are you enjoying skiing blues? It sounds like you are interested in skiing more and willing to do what it takes to improve. Like any skill, skiing better takes practice. While kids can get past blues skiing a few days a year, for an adult it's hard to do skiing less than 20 days a season. My daughter was better than I was by age 10 or 11, and I'm more the adventurous type. She was getting perhaps 10 days at our home hill and a week at Alta during spring break during elementary school. I didn't ski that much before age 50 so was only skiing blue groomers when I started taking my daughter to Alta when she was 7. I was still having plenty of fun though.

There isn't one way to enjoy skiing. Going fast is definitely not a requirement for fun. Although I've become an advanced skier, during the few times I skied in the northeast and it was icy, I didn't go off-piste because that wouldn't have been fun. When there is fresh powder in the Rockies, that'a a completely different story. That's why I go to big mountains. Lessons is what made the difference after I started skiing 20+ days out west. Along with finding ski buddies who were both better skiers and very patient when we did whatever was an "adventure run" for me at the time. Practice related to fundamental skills can be easier when skiing solo since it cannot be rushed and is best done on easier terrain.

I had a local friend who started skiing when her kids did. She's probably a lot like you in terms of being cautious and a worrier. Didn't ski the harder blue at our tiny home hill until her third season. Started with lessons and continues to take them. This past season she had the chance to ski far more than usual, including 10 days at Alta in April. All those lessons and her willingness to practice paid off.

Another question WHEN do people go buy new skis? People here seem to start buying in autumn around October /November - that's when the most of the new selection is in. This crazy covid season it was insane as ski shops sold out of product quickly.
Ideally, people check out skis during the season before they plan to buy skis. Then can get a deal in the spring or summer. That's what I did when I decided it was worth buying good skis about 15 years ago. I had no need for the latest model. Skis from the previous season or two were fine.

I'm also petite. Have settled on two pairs of skis that I've had for a few seasons. In addition to the Head Absolut Joys, I have all-mountain skis that are 85mm for trips to big mountains. The major brands I tend to like when renting or demo'ing are Rossignol, Blizzard, Nordica, and K2. I started demo'ing skis as an intermediate and was surprised how easy it was to tell if skis were fun or too much work without knowing much about ski design.

I demo'd the wider Black Crow models last Dec. They were pretty fun. I can understand why they have become so popular relatively quickly.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@FayGoneAstray, here are the things I'm noticing in your post above.

Speed and skill and mileage
According to my husband I ski much slower than my ability. My husband said this year he noticed I'm picking up confidence and going faster and improving. ...
It sounds like your husband, like many recreational skiers, equates speed with skill. Sure, people with more skill may often go fast. But that does not mean people who go fast have more skill. It sounds like your husband thinks if you gain confidence somehow, then you'll go faster and therefore your skill will improve. This is not true. Skill comes from doing things that work. That requires knowing technically what to do, and working on getting your resistant body to do those good technical things regularly enough so that they become a new habit, replacing the old. Learning to do new skills properly has to be learned on low pitch terrain and slow speeds with a lot of repetition. No one can focus on doing new movements when they are intimidated, so slowness and low pitch are essential for learning. Your husband does not know this.

Practice makes perfect; mileage builds skills
...this last season I skied the most with my pass and my husband said he noticed.
Your husband also sounds like he may believe that mileage will make a person a better skier. This is not necessarily true; practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. It's clearly time for some lessons, with a real instructor, one who knows how to teach novice adults. The longer you wait to get good instruction, the more difficult it will be to replace technically bad habits with technically good ones. The bad ones will get embedded even deeper. Deeply embedded habits will assert themselves when you try to do something new and better, interrupting and subverting your learning.

Insecurity about getting out of control
I get insecure about getting out of control and if I start going faster. I like to slow myself down.
Good! Your inbuilt sense of self-preservation is at work. If your skill set is inadequate to keep you in control at speed, then you need to slow down. There are technically good ways, and technically bad ways, to slow down. If it

Using friction to slow down
...so I work my legs really hard as I"m fighting gravity a bit. As a result I often feel like my legs are getting tired - that I'm doing a non stop squat.
This is the bad way to slow down. If it feels like you are doing a non-stop squat, then you are. Using your edged skis to scrape forcefully against the snow to slow you down will wear you out. No amount of strength and endurance will fix this. Good technique will fix it. You need to learn good technical ways to slow down that don't use scraping against the snow. Turns should not be linked hockey-stops.

Fatigue
To add I'm in decent shape - I run regularly I tell my huband it's easier for me to run 10km than go down a steeper slope for 5 minutes.
See above.

Back seat
Skiing in the back seat is like doing continuous wall-sits. It's tiring. And it eliminates your ability to use the front half of your skis to start your turns. That's an essential skill. You need an instructor to help you get out of the back seat. There are techniques for teaching this. You need lots of practice on unintimidating terrain, at slow speeds, under a watchful eye of an instructor, where there are no crowds.

Unsure about turn technique
I feel like my turn technique and body position need correcting. This was only third season? (and my first season with a season's pass) after twenty something years off (and I never did ski school when I learned).
Yes, you need instruction to learn good technique. It doesn't come naturally, nor does it come from mileage, nor from confidence, nor from speed. Good technique can keep you as slow as you want on any terrain, and it can give you that sense of control that everyone wants to have. If you can go slow, you can go fast. Why? Because you know you can slow down at any time. Learning to go slow is the key to confidence and the entryway to skill-building. Imagine if you could go down a field of big moguls, one mogul at a time, stopping after each one. That would be sloooow. Your confidence in those moguls would rise phenomenally. Same thing on steeps, on ice, and on any groomer in any condition. Go slow first, to learn to go fast later.

Hate for skiing on ice
I hate skiing on ice...
This is a skill you can learn. In this case, the type of ski you use matters on ice. You need narrow skis (waist below 80), with stiff torsional flex, little rocker, and sharp edges. And you need good technique. Otherwise, it's OK to stay off the ice.

Panic in zero visibility
I panic when I can't see ahead of me. This would be the same in a dark room or a ski hill... I feel physically ill. But this often isn't much of a regular problem. This is zero visibility conditions.
We all want to see where we are going. Blind skiers need a coach speaking to them as they ski. If we don't worry about zero visibility, there's something faulty about our sense of self-preservation.

Desire for control & worry over the risks; concern that this is a bad attitude
I'm generally a person who likes to feel in control and I'm cautious, risk averse and a worrier by nature. So not the greatest attributes for a skier getting back into it after over tweny , or twenty-five years off!
Wanting to ski in control is a good thing. Concern over the risks inherent in skiing is valid. People do get hurt. You need good technique to ski in control and safely. So take lessons. Not a lesson, lessons.

Love for groomers, fear/hate of high moguls, steeps, and ice
Not knowing how to ski unfamiliar conditions will produce caution in any intelligent person. Take lessons.

Am I too blunt? I hope not. This has been a very busy day for me and I wanted to get this all written before I turn in. Best of luck with your upcoming season!
Thanks for your thoughtful advice. Sounds like I need a good teacher to work on technique and techincal skills. Hopefully WB women's clinics next season will do the job...

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you enjoying skiing blues? It sounds like you are interested in skiing more and willing to do what it takes to improve. Like any skill, skiing better takes practice. While kids can get past blues skiing a few days a year, for an adult it's hard to do skiing less than 20 days a season. My daughter was better than I was by age 10 or 11, and I'm more the adventurous type. She was getting perhaps 10 days at our home hill and a week at Alta during spring break during elementary school. I didn't ski that much before age 50 so was only skiing blue groomers when I started taking my daughter to Alta when she was 7. I was still having plenty of fun though.

There isn't one way to enjoy skiing. Going fast is definitely not a requirement for fun. Although I've become an advanced skier, during the few times I skied in the northeast and it was icy, I didn't go off-piste because that wouldn't have been fun. When there is fresh powder in the Rockies, that'a a completely different story. That's why I go to big mountains. Lessons is what made the difference after I started skiing 20+ days out west. Along with finding ski buddies who were both better skiers and very patient when we did whatever was an "adventure run" for me at the time. Practice related to fundamental skills can be easier when skiing solo since it cannot be rushed and is best done on easier terrain.

I had a local friend who started skiing when her kids did. She's probably a lot like you in terms of being cautious and a worrier. Didn't ski the harder blue at our tiny home hill until her third season. Started with lessons and continues to take them. This past season she had the chance to ski far more than usual, including 10 days at Alta in April. All those lessons and her willingness to practice paid off.

Ideally, people check out skis during the season before they plan to buy skis. Then can get a deal in the spring or summer. That's what I did when I decided it was worth buying good skis about 15 years ago. I had no need for the latest model. Skis from the previous season or two were fine.

I'm also petite. Have settled on two pairs of skis that I've had for a few seasons. In addition to the Head Absolut Joys, I have all-mountain skis that are 85mm for trips to big mountains. The major brands I tend to like when renting or demo'ing are Rossignol, Blizzard, Nordica, and K2. I started demo'ing skis as an intermediate and was surprised how easy it was to tell if skis were fun or too much work without knowing much about ski design.

I demo'd the wider Black Crow models last Dec. They were pretty fun. I can understand why they have become so popular relatively quickly.
Yes I'm enjoying the blues! Greens can get boring but I ski Blackcomb side mostly so it's blues. The greens are narrow and not enjoyable at all Blackcomb side.

Thanks everyone for your insights and tips. I really appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of your input and responses. Sounds like lessons, lessons and practice and doing... After living aboard for so long it can be difficult living in a place where everyone skis all the time and being the worst one. And I know it's only pressure I put on myself, and no one else care. It's still feels like harder work for me but it's becoming easier ...
It's an important activity for the family to be able to do together .
And I can still try/buy new skis right!?! :wink::yahoo:

Current demo list:
Black Crows Captis Birdie (Camox too wide ?)
Rossi Stargazer
Stockli Nela 88
BP - I have an older version but it might be interesting to try the newer version
Nordica Santa Ana 93 or 88 - is this too demanding a ski for me?

I like the idea of trying during the season and then hunting for a sale in spring.
It's a cold, wet June-uary here in Vancouver, I'm doing armchair research while I'm still waiting for summer to start over here!!

Jilly

Staff member
Keep an eye on this site...https://www.ebay.com/str/asogear/Skis/_i.html?_storecat=11637445 They are an eBay store of a major outdoor store in Toronto. Good stuff. Also Comor Sports, Valhalla outfitters are both out west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And I can still try/buy new skis right!?! :wink::yahoo:

Current demo list:
Black Crows Captis Birdie (Camox too wide ?)
Rossi Stargazer
Stockli Nela 88
BP - I have an older version but it might be interesting to try the newer version
Nordica Santa Ana 93 or 88 - is this too demanding a ski for me?

I like the idea of trying during the season and then hunting for a sale in spring.
It's a cold, wet June-uary here in Vancouver, I'm doing armchair research while I'm still waiting for summer to start over here!!
Never a bad time to think about buying new skis. :smile:

The BP line keeps changing for sure. I haven't been on the latest version of the BP88 yet. When I bought the original BP88 during the summer (lightly used from a Diva), I'd demo'd it during a trip to Big Sky. So knew I liked them but wasn't in a hurry to buy since I had skis that were all-mountain for me at the time. Those skis were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel. So good enough for a few inches of fresh snow on top of groomers or in relatively easy off-piste terrain.

I don't think of the SA line as for advanced skiers only. The trickier decision when you haven't had a chance to demo is what length suits you best. Like width, there really isn't a "right" answer. It depends on your terrain interests and ski technique. Well, also whether or not the skis will be part of a quiver (2+ pairs of skis) or the only pair of skis for all ski days.

When I first demo'd the Stöckli Stormrider 85, it was in the mid-Atlantic at a free demo day. I'd actually tried the Laser SC first because my instructor had them. Didn't think I'd be able to ski the SC. But really like it. The rep asked me to try the Stormrider. Even though the run was very short, only about 2 minutes on an easy blue, I liked them. Then he moved the binding a bit as an experiment. Then I loved them! By then I was advanced skiing black off-piste terrain at destination resorts in the Rockies without hesitation, but wasn't really ready to really enjoy double-black terrain. I demo'd the Stormrider 88 @159 later that season at Taos. Bought them after the second demo day.

The Stöckli Neela 88 presumably is based on what Stöckli learned with the Stormrider 85. What I've found is that when you are willing to work towards good technique, having Stöckli skis can help since it's very obvious if you are getting lazy or reverting to bad habits. I think that's why my Level 3 instructor and a few very experienced instructors at Taos like Stöckli skis.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@FayGoneAstray ~~ You have to be confused ... you're getting recommendations for both narrower and wider skis! The answer depends on what you're wanting to do. If you plan to take lessons and improve your skills and you're skiing mostly groomers, narrower skis may be better for you. I've been to Whistler but don't know the terrain or what the typical conditions are like. It may behoove you to talk to an experienced instructor there for some guidance.

I'm saying this because of what my instructor told me. I am skiing at a level 6, working on skiing chopped up snow in preparation for learning moguls. I am skiing on Volkl Yumis, 84mm waist. I want new skis. My instructor said he prefers that I not go any wider than what I'm on. He may be ok if I was on the 88mm Nordica Santa Ana, but I decided to wait -- and chomp at the bit -- and try to demo next season. Sigh. Patience is not my strong suit. I'll probably be looking at the Santa Ana, Astral, and Black Pearl, all in widths from 78 to maybe as wide as 88mm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna