• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New ski suggestions?

Arlaquinn

Certified Ski Diva
So I am 5ft8inch - 170lbs - just demo Stockli MX 156 and thought they were too short - but a Lot of fun - ski groomers on east coast most of the time - want something snappy that can handle the crud... researching Nordica Santa Ana - would it be the 93s? Any other advice? Intermediate - slightly advanced skier - thanks!!

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I'm shorter than you but about the same weight and the Volkl Secrets are perfect for me. I'm on the 156 length, but you can also get them in 163 if you think that would be too short for you. They've performed great on groomers, light powder, and crud, although for a really heavy powder day, I might want something wider.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I am 5ft8inch - 170lbs - just demo Stockli MX 156 and thought they were too short - but a Lot of fun - ski groomers on east coast most of the time - want something snappy that can handle the crud... researching Nordica Santa Ana - would it be the 93s? Any other advice? Intermediate - slightly advanced skier - thanks!!

Where on the east coast are you? If in New England, there’s a demo day at the Sunapee ladies day in a month. Would you consider a different length ski if you liked the Stockli and it just felt too short? You could definitely go longer with your stats, for example I’m 5’4” ~130lbs. and prefer a ski in the mid 160s for length. If you mostly want to ski groomers, some to add to your demo list could include the Blizzard Black Pearl 88, the Santa Ana 88, the Stockli Stormrider 85, there are a ton people can add. In all cases I’d say to at least try a length in the 160s if you typically gravitate to the 150s, you could even want something in the 170s eventually. The reason I mentioned the Sunapee ladies day is that last year there were many lengths available in a bunch of skis, this isn’t always the case at demo days for taller ladies, so it’d be a great opportunity to try some stuff out if you are around. :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
And don't forget the Black Pearl 82s, more narrow underfoot so they go on edge relatively easily. I'm not sure I'd describe them as "snappy," but I love them because they move well through the crud but they are more . . . fun than my old skis (Blizzard Quattros). I think I have more fun because I have better control; they are longer (although with tip and tail rocker, not much longer).

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blizzard Alights are fun. The black pearl 88 is a fun ski good carver and good in piles of crud.
Atomic Cloud series, the higher the number the more race like they are.

I fell in love with Liberty 76W's for east coast carving and spring piles.

Santa Ana's are nice but a 93 for Icey East coast carving can be tiring on knees (Mine anyway)
I have Renoun Z-90's they do everything from ice to a foot of snow but my knees like my
Liberty (76 under foot) Or my Atomic 11's 71 under foot.

I'd look for something in the high 70's to mid 80's
Length go longer if more rocker in the ski.

I hope to demo skis at my Home Bump today and I'll be back w/review/ ideas

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are thinking Santa Anas and ski mostly in the East, I recommend giving the Santa Ana 88 a look. I'm loving mine. I feel like they ski narrower than their 88 width and do great on very firm groomers as well as crud.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I tried the NEW Black Pearl- the rep was a PIA he wouldn't let me take the 88's until I tried something else! First he wanted me on 152 or his 157 Beginner skis they came out with A sub Alight ski Being a PIA myself, I refused, my 2 GF instructors took the beginner skis. They did not like them.

I reluctantly took the BP82's OMG they were a Big YUK for me. Boring, felt like planks took way to long to initiate the ski, once on edge it was OK but just boring. I took one run and took them back
Mark the Rep was still being bossy so I went next door and tried the Nordica Santa Ana 104, It was a Cold day today, (East) beautiful carving surface and some snow from this weeks storm in the woods but we got rain so there's a crust in the woods. Anyhoo. I do like the Nordica Line. These were a nice fat ski, nimble and still carved, quick turners. It was a nice respite from the blizzard dude.

Back to the New BP- 88's I demo'd the 165cm, they seem 'thicker' and stiffer than the prior model that rocked the ski world. The tips are very stable w/no tip shake at all, they do transfer side to side quickly and held an edge well. BUT For me the prior model was more fun, had more zipity do dah. These aren't bad but just different. Some of my GF's today liked them a lot. No one liked the BP 82's

After those 3 I took my Liberty 76W"s out and never took them off. I'm glad I love my skis.

So Sorry Divas' normally I try several pair to report on I ended up helping one of our new ski instructors (16yrold) find a perfect ski- she liked the Atomic Cloud 9's best.

newboots

Angel Diva
You hated the 82s? Now I really have to demo some Liberty skis!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You hated the 82s? Now I really have to demo some Liberty skis!

not hated but did not like it for how I ski. they just were blah to me, boring, I like poppy, active, responsive skis that like to go fast. They felt like a volkl to me!! OH NO She said it.. Sorry Volkl fans, they always feel plankish not enough lively for me.

And this is why Demoing is SOOOO Important. So many skis and we all ski differently. What one likes another dislikes.

newboots

Angel Diva
Don’t forget, ski preference is VERY subjective!

And this is why Demoing is SOOOO Important. So many skis and we all ski differently. What one likes another dislikes.

So true!

I really like my BP82s, but this is the first time I’ve noticed a difference between skis.

Still, you keep carrying on about those Libertys! I do want to try them!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So true!

I really like my BP82s, but this is the first time I’ve noticed a difference between skis.

Still, you keep carrying on about those Libertys! I do want to try them!

these were the 2021s. The Liberty 76's are a lively ski that like to be 'driven' they like to be pushed.

The BP's are perfect for you they are very stable and YOU love them is all that counts.

Sparky

Angel Diva
I demoed the 2021 BP88 last week and actually liked them! I had the 2015 but I didn’t like the last generation at all after they changed it and made it lighter and whatever else. They put metal back in it which is probably why I like them. Apparently the BP82 is unchanged for 2021, or at least they didn’t add metal like the 88.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given the conditions, I'm not surprised you preferred your carver skis, @nopoleskier . Thanks for the reviews! Good for you for dishing it back out to those PITA/PIA? reps.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demo’d today. @contesstant @LauraVa @diymom I thought the SA 88 would be a ski I would like, but the tune was so horrible I dumped them asap - just not my cup of tea. Tried 9 skis speed demo. Did not get on the Elan 88 b/c someone else had it in the length I wanted. Bummer. I determined that I need Goldilocks length and if the Mindbender 88 came in a 166 I would buy. Glad I bought DD the Captis Birdie, I tried in longer length and loved it! As much fun as my Gen2 Camox Birdie. My goal for the day was to find a 85ish all mountrain for thinner snow days, just like today - a bit firm, with piled up crap later in the day. Part of on mountain demos today was Fischer - tried the Ranger 102 (Bright pink) just for fun, (by they didn’t have my size in other skis) will put on my “106” ish powder ski list.

Sparky

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl wait, you’re looking for 85ish, but didn’t you get Armada Victa 87 last year?? And was demo at mammoth? I demoed the Mindbender 88 on little pow day at Bogus Basin Couple weeks ago. I think I liked it but didn't have enough time on it and to try in 163 because DH led us down trees that ended nowhere and we had to walk 20 minutes to the lift! And we literally did the exact same thing last year! :doh:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sparky I do have Armada Victa 87 Ti @ 163 and after today I think they are perfect for my intended use which was: skills and drills / easy on knees / zoomer groomer carvers. While they have performed in conditions they were not meant for and held up admirably I wish they were a bit longer. Anotherwords they limit out (for me) in terrain I usually ski which is terrain I would not necessarily be working on skills.

So yes, Im looking for a unicorn.

Btw I realize the Fischers I tried were 2021 mens ? Lol I liked them not just bc they were pink, they were very compliant for a 102.

Mr. Sparkey does like tree runs! See there are reasons to have a back country set up ....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna