• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New England ice

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Travel is not a great idea today, and the farther north, the worse the ice. Long predicted and threatened, and here it is. Roads up this way are at least a half inch of ice, road crews frantically trying to sand and salt until temps rise. Sadly, we are then in for pouring rain, which will have the obvious effect on skiing surfaces, and this is a widespread system, so none will totally avoid it. Even at elevation (3500+), at least an inch of liquid predicted.

Then....the mercury plummets, with the obvious result. :doh::mad2: Grooming and snowmaking can patch a lot of damage, but gladed regions are going to suffer dearly.

I'm not entirely sure where the "ice line" is at this point, but eventually it will be all rain.

Ah, well. For anyone planning to ski in northern New England, hopefully it's not much before Wednesday or even Thursday. Do some checking and homework beforehand to ensure that the fixes have happened following this EVENT.

(WE NEED SNOW!)

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We call this the January Thaw. I'm north of Saratoga Springs, NY. My thermometer says 59, the wind is howling, and it's raining hard.

We haven't had much natural snow in NY either. The resorts opened late and have been playing catch-up ever since.

It's supposed to be sub-32 tomorrow with Lake Effect snow off the Great Lakes, but we still need a good Nor'Easter to blow through here with a couple of feet of snow.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh yeah. We usually get a January thaw up here, too. Kind of a magnitude of difference, however, between the benign few days' thaw and a deluge of 1-3" of pouring rain. :eek: On top of a reasonably okay (for depth) snow pack. Can you say....flooding....(never mind what it will do to ski conditions...)

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On a personal note, this thaw always means trouble for me. I live in a rocky area full of underground springs. When the ground is frozen and the rain is falling and the snow is melting, one of the underground springs runs directly into my foundation. No one could have known when the house was being built. It only happens in January when all three conditions are met. One neighbor has a dry basement and no sump pump at all. The neighbor on the other side has 2 sump pumps just to keep up with the water around the foundation. My poor little sump pump is pumping out 50-70 gallons a minute. This could go on for 10 days straight, and then I am dry until the next January.

In addition, the brittle poplar trees always fall on the power lines when the wind blows like this. I have a generator, although it is a pain to use. Mr. 2ski2moro was too cheap to buy the automatic backup generator, so I have to set it up and keep it filled with gasoline for the duration. The longest we have been without power was 6 days.

I can deal with a blizzard, (well, ok, I pray for snow) but this rainy January is the pits!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh boy. Totally feeling your pain. Rocky here as well, but my issue is having a hill behind my house. "Gravity: it's a law we can all live with." So...when it rains on top of snow pack....

Same deal here with generator, pretty much full-on manual for getting it all going. But once it's hooked up, we can go about 4 hours on a fill (2+- quarts) with limited electrical service. Former owners of house were without power for 3 weeks after a big ice storm here in '98 and put in this system. It's livable. We have the poplar trees as well, aren't they fun and useless :rolleyes: Not even good for firewood (we burn it anyway, it's the only way to get rid of the felled ones). Plus they grow like WEEDS.

Good luck to you - hope my sump can keep up with it, foundation is "lightly" tiled (should be far more extensive, but what a job to do this...), so that's where the excess winds up. Terrible ground water distribution system here, kind of a nightmare. But you know how THAT goes....

loafer

Certified Ski Diva
It is pouring in Western Maine and most of the mountains were closed today. So glad I took the day off and skied yesterday!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Rain just picked up in the last hour. Mountain was open (lower lifts only) this a.m., just checked to confirm: they are SHUT. What a mess. Oh yeah, yesterday was good. :thumbsup: Like 20 degrees warmer than Saturday! Sadly....history for now...

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well It is pouring here and given we are in southern Maine. Know the Mtns. get it next whatever we are getting. SO very depressing after such a great week. Sure glad I got out then.
Want ot think I can go this week but have my doubts for sure.
Would need a bunch of cold to make enough snow to cover up all this ice. Our driveway is all ice and dangerous.
What are others views on the conditions will be like at either mtn this week?

We now need a huge snow storm and not just one by any means!
Let is snow!!

abc

Banned
Don't want to pour salt on woulds but can't resist...

I'm heading out to Utah Friday! :D

Hopefully by the time I come back, things would have improved...

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank goodness I have a ski video to watch all nice fresh deep powder. Just makes me want to go to Utah. Maybe another year!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What are others views on the conditions will be like at either mtn this week?
Sunday River did not shut today, per their daily report (just said "wear Gore-Tex," haha). Right behind this one-day warm-up and heavy rain is a cold front. So, of course, everything will freeze solid. Most resorts will patch any bare spots, groom up the ice, and that's about all that can happen until/if there is decent snowfall (which basically just covers up the ice for awhile anyway). Glades will be toast. Sharpen your edges, wait til late in the week. Pray for snow.

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant closed all but the north side today. Raining there too. Gondola on wind hold, so patron's were bussed around. All that on the website. But I'll be talking to DH after supper and see what he did today.

marta

Angel Diva
Mountain Creek was shut today, it's pouring here. Feh! It's too early for mud-season... I skiied wearing a hefty-bag skirt yesterday afternoon when the monsoons began :(

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you don't have anything else to do, read this.

Ah, MSL, I remember the Ice Storm of 98. Gray, wet, foggy days like this take me back. Since you aren't skiing today, let me entertain you with my story. This is going to get long, so either delete or get a cup of tea...

We had just moved in to our new house near Saratoga Springs just 3 weeks before. The movers put most of the cartons into the basement for us to sort through later. I spent hours going through the boxes. I was really upset. They had DESTROYED my belongings while they were in storage - scratched my antiques, crushed boxes, & ripped upholstery. They did things beyond careless, just malicious. :mad2: I know you won't believe this, but they scratched "dirty words" in my cherry entertainment center and someone urinated in my refrigerator!!!!! Ewww.

Then came the storm, and on January 6, 1998, I awoke to discover 5 inches of water in my basement, where all the cartons were floating. Mr. 2ski2moro was out of the country on business. The furnace electronics were under water, the water heater flame was out, and I had no phone service because the lines were wet. I went to a neighbor's and called the builder. :mad2: Actually, I called him every name I could think of. He came over apologizing that he had not installed a sump pump. He had his guys throw out the soaked cartons, after they repaired what they could.

Insurance doesn't cover water damage in a basement, :eek:but the insurance agent sent over an adjuster just in case. "Don't move anything until she gets there," he said.

Four days later, I was sick and tired of smelling the stinky wet carpet and I made Mr. 2ski2moro remove it as soon as he returned. He said that he didn't think the carpet smelled bad, he thought it was the propane smell coming from the water heater.

I called 911, cracked open a window, put the dog in the Jeep and went to the end of the road, thinking we were about to watch our house explode. It didn't.

The fire department arrived within 5 minutes. All EIGHT trucks and about 50 guys. It was training night at the local volunteer firehouse, and everyone wanted to come. Fire jackets, big hats, air tanks, and big boots tromping through the mud of the new construction and into my new house on my new carpet...

When the guy with ax jumped off the truck, I said, "WAIT RIGHT THERE, I'll open the door for you. You do NOT need the ax."

As I stood at the end of my driveway in the flashing lights of the fire trucks, I met all my neighbors. It was so eerie in the fog, the red flashing lights, the firemen's flashlight beams moving around.

And then, a fireman came up to me. He asked me if I lived here. Yes. "Have you been having headaches?" Yes, thinking of all of the mover's hassles.

"Madam, you have high levels of carbon monoxide in your house. :fear:Please step into the life squad and let me test your oxygen levels. You don't know how lucky you are to have a propane leak. If not for that, we wouldn't have come, you wouldn't know that the water heater flue was blocked, and you might have died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning!"

The next thing I knew, I was on the stretcher on the way to the hospital, facing backwards (which always makes me ill), oxygen mask on my face, trying not to throw up. They were doing all kinds of EMT stuff, and then they asked the question, How old are you?

I have been lying about my age for so long, I had to think about it. I had no clue. I tried to think let's see, I was born in 19XX, but I haven't had my birthday this year...1998 or wait, 97 take away XX...so I just asked them if I could tell him what year I was born. They started the lights and siren and started passing cars, thinking I was brain damaged. It made me laugh. My brain was fine, I just have bad math genes. :loco:

After several hours in the hospital on oxygen, I was released. Hmm, another problem. Mr. 2ski2moro didn't know where I was. The phone wasn't working. He didn't have his cell phone. I didn't know the neighbor's last name.

In the meantime, Mr. 2ski2moro couldn't find me. He had been working with the plumber to get the propane leak on the water heater fixed and get the flue pipe cleared. Someone told him that they had taken me to the hospital. He didn't know where the hospital was. He finally found the hospital, and we were reunited in the ER.

We lost thousands of $$$ in damaged goods. Worst of all were those things that cannot get replaced after they get wet. Yet, they are just things. I have my health and no one suffered long term ill effects. Mr. 2ski2moro had no problem at all, as he went to work everyday and was not exposed to the CO in the house as much as I.

Despite all that I went through, I have much to be thankful for. Others did not fare as well during the Ice Storm of 98.

So, tomorrow, if the snow is lousy and you decide not to go skiing, go out to get a Carbon Monoxide detector. Keep dry, and think snow!

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa thats quite a story 2ski2moro!

On a sad note it was like 60 here today after a torrential downpour last night! All of the beautiful snow that we had is now completly gone. :Cry:

I guess its better than having a bunch of ice though.

Back on to a regular VA winter I guess....and I had some high hopes for winter here since we started off with alot more snow than normal...oh well. My hopes of moving back out west get stronger every day!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^:eek::eek:
Wow. What a story.
Okay, the CO part is truly sobering. Had one in our other house. Will get one here. Probably will be bad news (explaining, perhaps, in part, some of my behavior here? :loco:).

Ouch, what a moving story. Mine was none too wonderful either (as in, the previous owners removed ALL the lightbulbs before we moved the 1400 miles here - a minor but :jaw: kind of deal)....but at least I got a couple of years to settle in before the foot of water poured in?

Okay, the worst of this weather is behind us, but also behind the worst of the weather is a cold snap, so any/all in New England, especially northern aspects, watch for BLACK ICE.

If regional resorts are prudent about limiting traffic for a day or so until water drains out of the snow and NOT grooming TOO SOON, this can be a recoverable event (provided there is still snowmaking $ in the budget---snow from the sky would be nice, but....kinda wishful thinking - around here it's icing, not the cake itself).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Back on to a regular VA winter I guess....and I had some high hopes for winter here since we started off with alot more snow than normal...oh well. My hopes of moving back out west get stronger every day!

You're gonna get some snow on Friday....

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
2ski2moro:

WOW! I'm going to share your CO story with my chemistry students, as we're studying combustion reactions and the production of CO and CO poisoning comes up.....

You are very lucky!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga