• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: New Boot Conundrum

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dear Hubby bought me a new pair of boots online last spring. Dalbello Raya 10's from 2010-11 season. I am currently skiing Raya 9's from many, many years ago. The new 10s are the same sole length, same size, and initially fit okay. That is, until I put my custom footbeds and boot heaters in them. When the custom footbed and boot heater is in, it kills the tops of my big toes.

Initial advice was to "tough it out" until they were broke in. So I tried skiing in the new boots in sock liners without my custom footbed. The standard footbed just doesn't provide enough support and after a couple of hours the bottom of my feet hurt along with my toe tops.

I even tried skiing in the old liner with the new boots (still too tight around the toes, but hurts in the sides not the tops of the toes.)

My bootfitter blew out the toe box in the shell, I put my custom footbeds in, I taught in them Monday and after 1.5 hours I was again in excrutiating toe pain.

The only difference between the old boots and the new boots seems to be the liner. The old boots had neoprene toe box, and the new boot has a transparent shell and leather/vinyl toe box. (The new toe box is kind of pointy--must have been designed by an engineer who thinks women's feet are pointed like high heeled shoes...)

I am wrestling with what to do. Throw the boots in the trash when hubby isn't looking? (VERY tempting, but my shells are old and I'm afraid the plastic is getting brittle) Get a new foot bed for the new boots? Anyone have any ideas?

Christy

Angel Diva
Have you gone back to the fitter? I'd keep going back until it's right, unless the fitter tells me to get rid of them, that he can't do anything else.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your old liners are not trashed then might be worth trying them in the new boots?
As above post might be worth seeing the fitter again to see if they can stretch the toes of the actual boot out, if the shell really is identical to your last pair then maybe it is worth looking at alternative liners which you will get a feel about if you try the old liners anyway. Let us know how you get on. x

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oops must have missed the bit where you tried your old boot liners when I read your initial post! Great minds eh? Silly Lily!!!:noidea:

canadianbelle

Certified Ski Diva
Suggest putting in INTUITION liners. I swear by them. They are really super comfy, and if your boot is too big or too small, you can choose one that will fill out the space in the right dimensions.

Also, get a good bootfitter. I had many woes with my boot (arch cramping, baby toe bang, bunion squish, you name it!). The bootfitter finally punched my shell out in the weirdest of places to make the right room that I needed.

BTW, arch cramping or foot pain can be due to TOO MUCH room in a TOO TIGHT boot. For eg. it may be too narrow (so feels tight on the toes) but too long in the length (so there is too much room for your foot to move around; your foot is cramping from trying to grip).

Did the bootfitter put toe caps on your feet when doing the custom molding?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna