• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never-ending / Dry Slopes

Anna

Angel Diva
We have a NEW never-ending dry slope opening soon in Melbourne, Australia. Yes, adjustable gradient!!! No, have to use their skis. :(

What are the Diva's take on these?

Useful? Worthwhile? Great Technique builder?

Cheers!
(only 58 days until our season opens!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:)

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't skied a dry slope for years... I'm betting the technology is probably much better now, but when I did it I just remember it being like skiing on a scrubbing brush! The never ending ones sound pretty cool... good for an off-season ski fix if you don't want to travel to the opposite side of the world ;). I have never seen one in the US, but they're all over the place in the UK. I'm not too sure I'd want to use my own skis on a dry slope though...

I'm going to visit family in the UK next week and missing the end of ski season here at Heavenly/Northstar. I'm halfway tempted to check out one of the dry slopes while I'm there... should be an interesting experience!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't skied a dry slope for years... I'm betting the technology is probably much better now, but when I did it I just remember it being like skiing on a scrubbing brush! The never ending ones sound pretty cool... good for an off-season ski fix if you don't want to travel to the opposite side of the world ;). I have never seen one in the US, but they're all over the place in the UK. I'm not too sure I'd want to use my own skis on a dry slope though...

I'm going to visit family in the UK next week and missing the end of ski season here at Heavenly/Northstar. I'm halfway tempted to check out one of the dry slopes while I'm there... should be an interesting experience!

DON'T!! They haven't improved, it's still like skiing on a scrubbing brush. The snow domes are a bit better but only if you are really snow starved or have drills to practise.

What's a never ending slope??

altagirl

Staff member
What's a never ending slope??

I'm pretty sure it's like a big treadmill on an incline. Nevermind, apparently more like a record on a record player...

edit: apparently both are types of never ending ski slopes.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've never heard of never ending slopes or dry slopes. I'd love a picture of what you're talking about!

Anna

Angel Diva
Ok - new here's the stuff to confuse you all!

1) We're getting one facility with 3 never ending slopes (see prior post for link)
* they are like a conveyor belt.
* no, can't use own skis - app the wax can ruin the surface.
* these are very popular in many countries and apparently they are used for training purposes by elite athletes ...
* the surface is sprayed or constantly wet as well ..... app it's like a HARD groomer

2) We are also getting TWO of these dry slopes (click HERE):

Made with SnowFlex ......

So, for me, for now, I think the Never-ending one will be better... I don't do jumps (yet) ....

So, yeah - opinions still?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks fun, would it fit in my basement?

This looks like Cirque de Treadmill, love the ski dancing.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the dryslope where I live in Edinburgh, Hillend

When I clicked on the "x" to close the picture, I saw the article underneath... :ROTF:. Definitely worth a read.... it made me snort my coffee!

I have opened a can o' worms in my household... hubby now wants to try dry slope while we're in the UK!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw the 'treadmill' type at a ski shop in Louisiana years ago, but never tried it.

If there were one near me, I would try it, and if it is as good as it appears, I would consider it for off-season training.

SkiW

Certified Ski Diva
I have opened a can o' worms in my household... hubby now wants to try dry slope while we're in the UK!

hi mahgnillig,
if he's keen to try a dry slope, see https://www.natives.co.uk/whatsnew/dryski.htm for a list. Be sure to pack gloves and protective clothing, the surface is very coarse!

There are a few snowdomes in UK:
SNO!zone - Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
SNO!zone - Castleford, West Yorkshire
SNO!zone - Braehead, Glasgow
Tamworth Snowdome - Tamworth, Staffordshire
Chill Factore - Trafford Park, Manchester
The Snow Centre - Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

The Snow Centre at Hemel Hempstead is a few miles north of London - will you be near enough to visit this? The main slope is 160metre, 30metre wide. There's a popular Ladies' Morning on either Mondays or Wednesdays - see https://skilikeawoman.com/UK13.htm for info.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll be staying in Kent for the most part... with a weekend trip to Edinburgh for the Beltane festival. I know there's a dry slope in Chatham... that's where I had my first ever skiing lessons as a kid, so we'll probably end up going there :smile:

SkiW

Certified Ski Diva
According to their website, Chatham Ski Centre has "the longest artificial slope in Kent & the South East and is the premier wintersports facility in the region". Let us know how what you and hubby think of the Centre.

Kent in spring should be lovely, blossom everywhere! Have a great visit :smile:

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I work on a dry slope!

They aren't as bad as they used to be. Having misting systems now compared to fifteen/twenty years ago makes them much more user friendly. The majority are also better maintained now.

In terms of ski wear, I'm going through a set of skis on average every year. That's based on five days work a week and forty plus weeks a year. The main reason I end up killing a ski is they go totally lifeless, the flex dies. I've worked less hours since September this season so hopefully my current set of skis will last a bit longer!

SkiW

Certified Ski Diva
I work on a dry slope!

They aren't as bad as they used to be. Having misting systems now compared to fifteen/twenty years ago makes them much more user friendly. The majority are also better maintained now.

it's probably about 15 years ago since I tried a dry slope, and it was my first ever time on skis. Good to hear that the surface is more user friendly now :smile: What's it like with a covering of snow?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yvonne, we've got a dry slop in Southampton (it's a bit rubbish, I went there once) and when it snowed in Dec 2009 they had to close it!! Oh the irony.

But wow, I've never heard of a never-ending dry slope! Not sure I'd fancy that, it's actually a bit like the Flow-rider I've seen on a cruise ship:

[YOUTUBE]D1DxUmAetZU[/YOUTUBE]

I'd be kind of tempted to try one of our UK fridges, but it's a pricey way of skiing a few metres when you add in the cost of petrol to get there..

Ski Around Sue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the never ending slope looks like a lot of fun! Not quite skiing but great for technique and playing around! But I'm sure if I did it I would be rolling all over - nothing so graceful as the guys in the video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna