• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Need skis-K2 Sweet Luv or Dynastar Ex Active?

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there are definitely a few Monster lovers around here! Check out the gear review section.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I checked with levelninesports, they do have the Head Monster 72 available for 169, can get it to me quick. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread on this, but I know so little about Head skis. Since this is a unisex ski, and I haven't skiied in a long time, it might be too heavy or stiff since I'm not an aggressive skier. However John at the shop thought it would be good on ice (here) and conditions in Utah, and that I would not grow out of it right away in Utah. But I'm just not feeling excited about the Head skis, I think because they look most like the old style skis I used to use. After looking at Geishas, fat skis, twin tips, etc, these skis look boring! I know, I'm skiing, not dating them, but I'm sure you know what I'm feeling. Also, should I consider the next level down due to lack of recent experience?

The reasons I suggested it:

1. It's not too stiff. It's an intermediate ski, next to lowest in the Monster line. I know the levelnine review says it's not for slow skiers, but your size and experience should enable you to bend it just fine. I don't think you necessarily need a women's ski ...

2. It's not too soft. Read volklgirl's response again: you will quickly overpower a lower-end ski, especially a women's lower-end ski. You also said you wanted something better than a rental, I think.

3. It's not too wide. The equipment has changed, obviously, since you learned to ski. I am a big believer in learning to use your edges on a narrower ski before moving to a wider ski. It's much easier to tip the ski, to feel your edges, in a sub-75-mm ski.

4. It's not too narrow (at least for now). Eventually when you get the hang of the new shape, you will go wider. But this is a decent bridge, IMO. That's what the Monster line is designed for.

5. It's not too expensive!! Hard to find a better price, especially for a quality ski.

As for being boring, well, I can't help you there. I guess we can't have it all. :D As you said, they don't have to be your soulmate.

The suggestion for the ladies Wild Thang is a possibility. With binding, they'll be about twice the price, and they are also geared to a more advanced skier. But they are lighter, due to being women's skis, so maybe it's a wash.

For comparison, my groomer ski is the Monster 77, which is basically the unisex version of the Wild Thang, and a couple of steps up the scale in target ability. I have the 163 length, and I'm 135 lb. Now, I'm more advanced than you are at this point, and I'm sure I ski faster, but I don't have trouble turning it at low speeds.

You can google "head monster ski review," and I don't think you'll find anything negative.

All in all, it's hard to know without demoing. But given your experience and desire for economy, this is what sounded good to me. I'm sure there are lots of skis that would work for you ... Don't know if there are many at your $200 level, as that usually means a pretty blah ski.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're powerful-ish and like a smooth ride, you'll love the Monster. I demoed the 77 (I think) last year and it had me making vroooom vroooom sounds all over the hill. The guys even took it into the bumps and it didn't disappoint there, either. Look for my "Head Demo Day" thread in the Gear Review section.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the Head endorsement (and the link to Level Nine) Pinto - I just ordered some Monster 75s w/ bindings for $300!

Due to my Volkl addiction, I have been wanting Fuegos, but they don't come off the price on those hardly ever, so I decided to explore cheaper options. The 75s sounded like a good fit for me since I wanted a little bit softer ski than the Auras so that I could make some shorter turns and hop moguls on groomer-only days. I was really impressed by the options available at Level Nine - my mom's first pair of skis were Heads and she got years and years of happy trails out of those bad boys!

I must also admit that the graphic on the Monster 75s was so much better than the 77s and 82s . . . very nice colors and the totem-esque motif is very Alaskan, which I really liked (duh!).

As always, Divas know best! Thanks again, ladies :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Always glad to push a fellow Diva over the edge. :becky:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the Head endorsement (and the link to Level Nine) Pinto - I just ordered some Monster 75s w/ bindings for $300!

Due to my Volkl addiction, I have been wanting Fuegos, but they don't come off the price on those hardly ever, so I decided to explore cheaper options. The 75s sounded like a good fit for me since I wanted a little bit softer ski than the Auras so that I could make some shorter turns and hop moguls on groomer-only days. I was really impressed by the options available at Level Nine - my mom's first pair of skis were Heads and she got years and years of happy trails out of those bad boys!

I must also admit that the graphic on the Monster 75s was so much better than the 77s and 82s . . . very nice colors and the totem-esque motif is very Alaskan, which I really liked (duh!).

As always, Divas know best! Thanks again, ladies :smile:

Good deal! I hope you love them ... I bought my 77s last year for about that price, and they've been great for exactly what you describe, as complements to the Auras.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto, thanks for your thoughtful review. I am letting it all sink and realizing you don't ski on the tops of the skis, you ski on the bottoms! And thanks for the level nine sports reference--I spoke to them and they were absolutely great. $15 shipping, great prices, very friendly. Thanks to all the divas, I'll let you know what happens. Oh, and one more thought . . . how would this ski compare to a Luna? Overlap or complement?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto, thanks for your thoughtful review. I am letting it all sink and realizing you don't ski on the tops of the skis, you ski on the bottoms! And thanks for the level nine sports reference--I spoke to them and they were absolutely great. $15 shipping, great prices, very friendly. Thanks to all the divas, I'll let you know what happens. Oh, and one more thought . . . how would this ski compare to a Luna? Overlap or complement?

I'm going to ask Wendy to change my username to LevelNinePimp.

I hope you love them! And please don't tell me if you don't, LOL. Just kidding.

I haven't skied the Luna, but a cursory glance says "overlap" to me. It is probably softer and lighter than the Monster, but dimensions and intended terrain are similar. If I were you, I would use one or the other (Luna or Monster) as a getting-back-on-the-horse ski ... when you're back on the horse, keep it as a groomer ski and buy a wider ski for fresh snow and off-piste skiing.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pulled the Trigger!

I have been trolling around ebay, and was watching a number of skis on my list come and go. I was interested in some Lunas that went for way over my meager $200 budget, but I was able to buy a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Legends that fit the bill. Ya-hooo! :yahoo: They may be a bit short for me at 152, but I think I'll get a lot of life out of them and have a lot of fun. I am so excited! Thanks to all of you divas, but especially MaineSkiLady, who provided some great reviews and some much-needed hand holding. :grouphug: I'll let you all know when they arrive.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Legends have arrived!

Let's start with the important things . . . the graphics are beautiful in person! :redface: Just girly enough, beautiful to look at, perfect colors. Surprised that the aesthetic means that much to me. And they look gorgeous with my boots. I will post pictures.

The ski is very light, very flexible compared to what I used to ski. The 152 seems SHORT. I may end up growing out of these very quickly, but my daughter has fallen in love with them, so who knows? :noidea:: In a year or so she may grow into them, or I may not be able to part with them.

The hard part is waiting to get the skis tuned, find adequate ski pants, and have So Cal weather cooperate so that I can go to Mountain High. I'll post on another thread to find out where I can get my skis waxed, bindings adjusted. Thanks, Divas! It's an ongoing adventure.:clap:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga