• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need skis for bumps, trees, fun in Colorado

AnotherColoradoGal

Diva in Training
After skiing my current skis for 10 (yes 10!) years, it's time for some new boards. In the fall I dutifully read reviews, tried to figure out what kind of skier I am in industry speak, and talked with several sales people at my ski shop. I decided, bought them, tried them.....and hated them. Well, didn't hate but really didn't like them. Luckily I can return them, so please, please help me pick something better.

Me: 5'4, 130 pounds. I ski blacks, double blacks, bowls, glades. In Colorado you can find me on the back bowls of Vail, under Pali at A-Basin, on the Outback of Keystone. I rock the bumps all day long, but also spend a ton of time in tight trees.

Old skis: Solomon 1080s. They were one of the first twin tips, and are considered park skis. They are foam core, super light, super flexible, and a blast in the bumps. The suck big on hard pack because they chatter a lot, but since I try to avoid the front side, I deal with it. I'm only getting rid of them because the bindings are pretty old.

The skis I thought I wanted: Rossignol Saffron 2016. To me they felt extremely sluggish. They were skiing me, instead of vice versa. I thought I was going to kill myself in the trees because they were not responsive at all.

I want playful, responsive, flexible, easy to turn in tight bumps.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if you'd like the Scott The Ski. I find them a little soft most of the time (a godsend right now as I am rehabbing my knee) - but I outweigh you by about 70 pounds for just about the same height.

Also paging @SnowHot

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome..
You'll get plenty of enabling & help here! Many of us will suggest 'demo demo demo. As you found out a ski 1 person loves another will hate. I didn't like the Saffron's either. I'm an East coast skier but come ski towest.. I have a pair of 95 under foot Atomics for west skiing but am guessing where you want to go with a ski 100+?
They are pre-cursors to the Atomic Vantage series I found them Very Playful and not too heavy (me and Volkls don't get along)

Hope you can demo and we'll all be anxiously awaiting for reviews!!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world! Demo, just demo as many skis as you can. Check with Outdoor Divas for their demo days. But you add to your list:

Salomon Quest series -very light
Atomic Vantage W

I had the 90 ranges out. I know @Robyn has the bigger unisex version of the Vantage.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After skiing my current skis for 10 (yes 10!) years, it's time for some new boards. In the fall I dutifully read reviews, tried to figure out what kind of skier I am in industry speak, and talked with several sales people at my ski shop. I decided, bought them, tried them.....and hated them. Well, didn't hate but really didn't like them. Luckily I can return them, so please, please help me pick something better.

Me: 5'4, 130 pounds. I ski blacks, double blacks, bowls, glades. In Colorado you can find me on the back bowls of Vail, under Pali at A-Basin, on the Outback of Keystone. I rock the bumps all day long, but also spend a ton of time in tight trees.

Old skis: Solomon 1080s. They were one of the first twin tips, and are considered park skis. They are foam core, super light, super flexible, and a blast in the bumps. The suck big on hard pack because they chatter a lot, but since I try to avoid the front side, I deal with it. I'm only getting rid of them because the bindings are pretty old.

The skis I thought I wanted: Rossignol Saffron 2016. To me they felt extremely sluggish. They were skiing me, instead of vice versa. I thought I was going to kill myself in the trees because they were not responsive at all.

I want playful, responsive, flexible, easy to turn in tight bumps.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
You won't find anything that feels like your old Salomon 1080's but if you're thinking of something int he +95 range to charge the areas you're talking about.....Nordica Santa Ana 100.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You won't find anything that feels like your old Salomon 1080's but if you're thinking of something int he +95 range to charge the areas you're talking about.....Nordica Santa Ana 100.

See, I wasn't going to suggest that because that's our suggestion for everyone!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail Bowls, Pali Steeps, moguls, live in the car ski, ready at a moments notice.... Hard to beat.
I think TheSki would be too soft.

AnotherColoradoGal

Diva in Training
You all rock -- I knew you would! Thanks Jilly for the tip about Outdoor Divas' demo days. I thought I had missed all the demo days because of time of year. Signed up for the one at Vail on the 21st.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Love my Santa Anas in trees and bumps!

Can't wait to try mine in the bumps and trees out west! I did a few of the frozen hard New England bumps on the side of the trail this weekend and was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to turn my Santa Anas given the new-to-me length.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Outdoor Divas demo days are awesome. Get there early because they are very popular. The staff is awesome and can help you determine the best skis for you. When I did the demo day I went determined I wanted to upgrade my Temptation 88's with the newer version. However, they talked me into demoing the Saffron's 7's which I loved and is my go to every day ski. BTW, I also have the Savory 7's which I use on powder days. Left them at home this week and sure wish I had them for this "heavy" powder we had yesterday.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to our world! Demo, just demo as many skis as you can. Check with Outdoor Divas for their demo days. But you add to your list:

Salomon Quest series -very light
Atomic Vantage W

I had the 90 ranges out. I know @Robyn has the bigger unisex version of the Vantage.

Actually I have the Backland 109 which is different than the Vantage series altogether. I ended up with the women's ski but it is identical to the unisex with a different top sheet. I love it so far but haven't had much time on it.

Outdoor Divas will have the 102 at their demo days but it skis very differently than the 109. Although it might be a better option for you anyhow.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely check out the Vantage 95, it's a nimble little all mountain ski that does it all.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@AnotherColoradoGal - given that you've been skiing on, and enjoying a park ski all over the mountain, the Armada ARW 96 might be a good option to try. Super playful, lots of pop, while not being too soft and flimsy.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually I have the Backland 109 which is different than the Vantage series altogether. I ended up with the women's ski but it is identical to the unisex with a different top sheet. I love it so far but haven't had much time on it.

Outdoor Divas will have the 102 at their demo days but it skis very differently than the 109. Although it might be a better option for you anyhow.
The Backland 109 is another ski that no one talks about. That ski shocked me at how good it was in a variety of snow.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Backland 109 is another ski that no one talks about. That ski shocked me at how good it was in a variety of snow.

After being a late joiner to the mid-fat era when I bought Sweet Fats years ago and then moved on to the Aura I now seem to be an early adopter with the Great Joy and the Backland 109. I suspect that as more people discover the 109 they will agree.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to go out on an independent ski maker limb and recommend the Moment Sierra. It only comes in two lengths (162cm and 172cm), but at 95mm and 99mm underfoot, respectively, they're an amazing ski for these conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga