• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Need advice on knee injury

marzNC

Angel Diva
My understanding is basically that the inability to heal tears on your own is only restricted by blood flow. I believe that the MCL has better blood supply than the ACL, and things like the meniscus have blood vessels only in certain areas so your chance of healing is dependent on where the tear is.

Yep. The meniscus areas are called red-red, red-white, white-white with red-red being the thickest and closest to the outside. Since my 2-3cm tear was in the red-red, my ortho said it could heal without intervention. He was unwilling to give a timeframe though. What I found online implied 6-12 months.

An ACL has too little blood flow partially because it's completely inside the knee. So the special fluid in there is a factor. Low blood flow is one reason "repair surgery" proved to be ineffective when it was done 20-30 years ago.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
He was helpful and correctly diagnosed it as an MCL sprain. He didn't give me a level, but it's a minor sprain. He then gave me my PT referral...and OK'd me for skiing in two weeks if it all feels well.
...Anyway, bottom line--minor injury which should heal well and the leg exercises I am very motivated to do will only make me a stronger skier. I'm officially in the ACL club, too, which kinda stinks.

Okay, I think I nailed this. :becky:

Been there, on both counts, doing okay (some patella issues, began way long ago), work hard, it pays off handsomely. Trust me here.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Deannatoby, let us know how this taping goes. A friend also began to tape his knee and has had success with pain relief. The concept intrigues me and I'd like to know more.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What taping? Do you mean the exercise bands? I'm not taping my knee, which brings back memories of high school football players taping every joint before games. I think it was a bit of a teen boy ritual to cover your body in tape.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:redface: Sorry. Note to self: Do not post before my second cup of coffee. I got my "knee topics" mixed up. There is a recent topic called Crunchy Knees. In it, Pinto has a photo of her knee taped up for some kneecap alignment issues.

Back to your topic...your injury sounds a lot like mine. The good news is that my knee is as strong as ever and I have no residual pain from my sprain. I'm glad to hear that your knee is no worse than it is.

Maybe next year you will be able to sneak away for an Eastern Diva Day or two?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga