• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Need advice on FAT skis for Powder

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
Hi!
I'm in the market for another ski and would love your help! I'm looking for a powder ski. I want something that excels in powder and lets me do some jumps when I'm out there.

About me:
5'7"
140 lbs
Aggressive skier
Ski out west
Comfortable on blacks
I like powder, bumps and off piste skiing (trees, too)

Here is what I have:
K2 Misdemeanor - 80mm - fun ski for bumps and just playing everywhere on the mountain when it's not deep
Dynastar Exclusive Legend Powder - 85mm - not sure I'll keep it b/c it's so much like my other Dynastar which is...
Dynastar Legend 8800 - 89mm - This is such a fun ski and handles so well in all conditions and is very stable.

So my thought is to sell the 85mm ski and get a big powder ski somewhere around 100mm.

I've read a lot about the Aura and Mantra. There are some other skis in that range - mid-90s. But I fear that getting something only 5mm bigger than my 8800s will be to similar to it. So that's why I thought I'd go to 100mm.

I generally like a forgiving ski that's on the softer side and want something that's not very heavy. I considered the Gotamas (gets great reviews), but I've also read it's heavy and stiff. Or did I read it wrong?

I searched the forums and didn't find much info on skis fatter than mid-90s. What are your thoughts on a good ski at ~100mm? What about the length? Do I go longer? The fatter skis are often longer and not available in smaller sizes. Would something like the Aura/Mantra/Phat Luv/Fat Thang or similar be too close to my 8800s?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Eileen

mollmeister

Angel Diva
More later, but isn't the new Phat Luv considerably wider than it used to be?

Have you considered one of the smaller ski companies, like Blue House or PMGear?

:D

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
You're right - it is 102mm!

I am looking at the main stream ones b/c I work at a ski shop and can only get discounts on the brands we sell. So can't go botique if I want to save $$. Perhaps I should let you all know :smile: :

K2
Dynastar
Volkl
Fischer
Salomon
Nordica
Elan

Thanks!

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Ummm. I'm selling my K2 Nancys - I'll give you a great deal!! :wink: They're soft, forgiving & super fat. They ride great in the powder. Only reason I'm selling them is because I demoed the Mantras & now I want those. (Yeah, I'm a brat - so?) The Mantras are quite stiff - so those may not be right for you if you're looking for flex. The Auras are supposedly 20% lighter & softer than the Mantra.

Other than that - just demo, demo, demo. Skis are an investment. Research a few pairs you'd like to try & get out there on them for a day. I would pay less attention to the measurements & just go on how they feel to you.

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
Skigirl,
Thanks for the advice. Here's the deal - I get skis real cheap from the shop and since I'm moving and won't work there anymore, I need to buy one this week. Which means no demo time. I know it's a little risky, but I figured the price is so good, that I could at least make my $$ back if I don't really like it.

Tell me about the Nancy's - I've just heard they're soft but don't know how they perform. Here's a funny thing - I bought my 8800s from the owner of a ski shop b/c his wife was getting the Nancys. Now she wants the 8800s back. Not that she literally is asking for them, but she said she liked the 8800s better. Maybe b/c they're more versitile and stiffer? Do you know how they compare.

If you're selling them, let me know the length and how much you want. You can PM me.

Why do you want the stiffer ski? Why not the Auras? Sounds like you' know what you want! :smile:
Eileen

skigrl27

The Nancys are just too soft for my weight & skiing style. I would actually keep them because I still can rip on them pretty good, but if I can sell them I totally will just because I'd rather have the cash to put towards the new skis. That...and I know the Mantra will become my regular babies on the mountain - so no sense in keeping the Nancys if they're just going to sit there.

I demoed the Mantra on Saturday & fell in love. I really wanted to demo the Aura, but can't demo them in the size I want. I loved the weight & stiffness of the Mantra...so I now feel like "why demo the Aura?" I may demo the Volkl Bridge - kind of like the Mantra, but a little more narrow underfoot & at the tip & base. Not sure yet.

The Nancys I'm selling are in 169. I'd take anything around $300 for them - but am considering all offers!:wink:

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like the Mantras might be too stiff and hard for me. That was my worry. I like a lighter ski. I'm aggressive, but not an awesome skier, so I think that a softer, lighter ski will be more forgiving for me. Is that accurate? Also, I don't "rip" down the groomers. I mean, I can, but I prefer technical skiing (moguls, trees, steeps) and jumping, so I would think (correct me if I'm wrong), the heavier, stiffer ski will accommodate fast skiing that I don't really care too much about while the softer, lighter ski will give me the forgiveness in the technical areas. But that said, I still don't want a squishy (is that a ski term? :smile: )ski. For example, I tried the Bandits and thought they were too soft and unstable.
Do you think the Nancys are too close to the 8800s to make a difference? Let me see what it would cost me for a new ski and get back to you on the Nancys. :smile:

skigrl27

I "rip" all over the mountain. Much of a skis stiffness depends on the weight & aggresssiveness of the skier. A soft/med flex ski like the Nancy may work great for someone lighter.

I'm 5'8", 155 lbs. and consider myself a solid III skier (Advanced/Expert) I charge the mountain and all of my turns - so the soft/medium flex of the Nancy wasn't enough to hold up to my skiing. I bought them blindly & with no demo or testing or anything. Although they do hold up! They perform well on the harder pack too, although they are truly a fat pow ski. The softness may be nice for you in bumps, trees - while even for me, I prefer more stiffness in the bumps to carry me from bump to bump.

It's totally a preference thing. I have 2 other pairs of skis. The next pair is not getting purchased without several demos. After the Mantra demo...I'm psyched to own these skis.

skigrl27

oh - and I know nothing about the 8800's. Sorry.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga