• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nau Urbane Jacket-- Eco-Conscious Style

mollmeister

Angel Diva
My name is Mollmeister and I have a ski jacket/outdoor wear *problem.*

But I feel much better about my *problem* now that I have discovered Nau products. As I understand it, Nau is a company founded by some ex-Patagonia folk, who wanted to push the envelope with corporate and social responsibility practices (a truly sustainable business) and create stylish, more urban-looking, technical gear. Most of their products are made with recycled/sustainable materials, and a portion of ALL purchases goes to a charity of your choosing. (They support a whole bunch, and you get to pick yours at check-out.)

The look is much more urban than other technical clothing-- think chocolate browns, slate greys, blacks, and olives in cuts that reflect military and very pared down high-fashion styling. Very clean, very simple, very Jil Sander meets Patagonia. But not flashy high-fashion. Think minimalist. Arc'teryx without the visible logos and with a slightly less outdoorsy feel.

So anywhoo, I got an Urbane Jacket a while back. It's probably the most *style-y* of the women's jackets, with a funky button placket that curves up the front, over a zipper. It's attractive and visually interesting enough to wear with a pair of jeans, but was billed as technical enough to wear on the slopes.

https://www.nau.com/homepage/index.jsp#/shopnau/products/107W202

The Good

This is a gorgeous jacket. Interesting looking and classy, without being all Bognerish. Definitely different than anything else I have seen on the hill. Very flattering to the female form, with a curved button placket that emphasizes female curves, and a scooped tail in the back that covers what you want to cover and emphasizes what you want to show off, all the while keeping out snow and errant, up-the-back breezes.

Well constructed, from fabric that has a really nice feel to it, even though the face fabric is made of 100% recycled material. Smooth and drapey, not *crunchy.* Decorative buttons are affixed with narrow webbing, not sewn on, so they feel pretty bombproof and unlikely to fall off. It's a two-later laminate, waterproof/breathable membrane laminated to a face fabric. Waterproofing held up well during a sunny day with some falls and a snowy day following.

Comfortable to wear, enough pockets for me, and the zip-off hood is lightweight and packed away nicely when I didn't need it. Fit is trim, but roomy enough for several layers without binding at critical points.

I feel really good about the way this company is trying to conduct business, and buying from them feels guilt-free, when you are choosing your charity and learning about the eco-sensitive fabrics and distribution channels they try to use. Are they perfect? I don't know. Unlikely. But they're trying pretty hard and turning out good looking product in the process.

The Bad
Not much.

This jacket is definitely a light shell. It's not advertised to be windproof, and it's not, but it would make an awesome spring skiing jacket on a warm day, and did just find on a colder day with a Mountain Hardware wind shirt and a heavy long underwear shirt.

Not enough venting if you're truly wearing it on a spring day, but it's light enough that I don't know that it would be a problem.

I am going to keep watching this company. I tried on a soft shell ski pant back in November and wish I'd bought it. The fit was fantastic, and obviously other people agreed, because they sold out of small sizes very early!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, the minute you started talking about how stylish it is I started rolling my eyes.

Then i clicked the link.

That is one hot jacket! Thanks for the review, I haven't heard of this company!

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. Thanks for the heads up on this brand. I'm going to keep watching it (teeny tiny bit too pricey for me at the moment). Wouldn't it be awesome if Backcountry picked it up?

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Wow. Thanks for the heads up on this brand. I'm going to keep watching it (teeny tiny bit too pricey for me at the moment). Wouldn't it be awesome if Backcountry picked it up?

They do have some great sales. . . and a few standalone stores (there is one in Boulder, which is how I found out about it). I don't know what their distribution plans are, ultimately, but it would be cool if they had a bit broader reach/exposure.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Ok, the minute you started talking about how stylish it is I started rolling my eyes.

Then i clicked the link.

That is one hot jacket! Thanks for the review, I haven't heard of this company!

I knew there would be some eye-rolling. I was laughing when I wrote it. But the company is such a crazy mix of fashion and sustainability and technical. . . it's hard to know how to describe it until you've seen it!
:eyebrows:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Here is the only picture I have of the jacket in action. Copper Bowl on the rarest of occasions this season-- a sunny day!

IMG_8230.jpg

Perhaps I can get the husband to get the camera out again sometime. . . :rolleyes:

And to give you a sense of how flattering it is. . . I am far from big, but I am 5'2" and still have about 5-7lbs of *baby fat* to lose from my 15mo, and it's all concentrated around my middle and bottom. Which is to say that I don't look, in real life, super-model skinny like I do in that picture. Thank the camera angle, my *pose* (which is called, "Honey, would you hurry up and take the stupid picture and maybe remember to get the camera out for action shots on the way down?") and the jacket. All hail the Urbane Jacket. :thumbsup:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
NAU makes bee-yoo-ti-ful clothing. I've altered some for a gal - they have a really cool long coat with an asymmetrical hem that is to die for.

My son attends NAU in Flagstaff; I initially got very confused when I first heard about this company.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, this is bad. I have too many jackets already. But those are COOL. It would be perfect for my trip to Europe in a couple of weeks.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE this jacket--I'm looking for a brown ski jacket, and this one is very, very tempting...

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like somebody read "Let My People Go Surfing" I thought Dick Vandykes son started this co. The initial marketing crew I think had an ex-pat employee as well as Nike and Adidas, Body Shop etc. Nice looking clothes. I wish more companies would go green.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Looks like somebody read "Let My People Go Surfing" I thought Dick Vandykes son started this co. The initial marketing crew I think had an ex-pat employee as well as Nike and Adidas, Body Shop etc. Nice looking clothes. I wish more companies would go green.

I wasn't sure about the folks on the team, so this is interesting. I didn't dig too much, but they don't have a lot in the way of bios on the site. When I was in the store in Boulder they mentioned a couple of Patagonia folks, but that was all. Would love more of a synopsis of the who and the how. . .

Oh, and customer service response has been great for me. They've responded quickly and personally to some all-over-the-map questions and were very helpful when their website melted down during a big sale.
:thumbsup:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the story was in Treehugger or lowbagger or one of those. They brought the Pat and Nike people in when they started. Nike, actually uses a percentage of organic cotton in their clothing. Surprising as that is. I think Pat is going to be 100% recycled next season. They already have a good portion of their product recycled. I am really into the green company thing, my daughter is head to toe recycled skiwear now, I have all but the pants, my husband is all but a couple base layers. We have been really happy with all of our stuff too. The Nau business model seems to be totally based on Pat's which I think is fine, and actually what Pat wanted to see more people doing. The book I mentioned above is actually pretty good. You should definately read it if you are interested in green businesses.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
The book I mentioned above is actually pretty good. You should definately read it if you are interested in green businesses.

I read it and it's wonderful. I totally agree. And it interested me for more than the green practices. I like the whole, broad idea of corporate sustainability-- from eco sustainability to people sustainability.

As a mom who used to be a hardcore, traveling all the time businesswoman and has struggled with how to balance momhood and careerhood, I love the way Yvon Chouinard has approached the idea of family. None of it should be revolutionary, but it is. Breastfeeding at the office! Childcare downstairs! Subsidized childcare! Help getting kids from school to afterschool programs at the office! Flexible leave programs!

I mean that stuff would personally change my world. And I really mean that, on the deepest level.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to thank you Mollmeister for posting this. We are such a consumer based society ( and bunch here;) ) that I think it's important to look at these models. We got gift cards to the Old Navy a few years back and I was totally disgusted trying to spend $100.00 on disposable $5.00 clothing items. Although I'd been planted firmly in the "hippie camp" for years, I guess I never paid as much attention tot the whole clothing thing as I did to water etc. I really started looking at it in a different light. Although my closet is not nearly as full as it has been in the past, I can feel good about what is hanging in there as well as how, where and with what it was made. Has anyone read the journal of the lady that wore the same brown dress everyday for a year?

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mollmeister, thanks for posting that. The jacket looks better on you than in the ad. Very stylish & feminine ! I have totally loved my Patagonia products for over 15 yrs. Love that they now have wool base layers so I don't have to order from Europe. I'm liking the IBEX wool products that many Divas recommended also ! So sounds like I would love the Nau ski pants too. Let us know when they have them in stock again. I'd like to check those out ! Thanks for bringing this new company to our attention. I hate clothes shopping but can really appreciate co's. like Patagonia & Nau. For their ethics & green efforts, as well as quality & long lasting products. :thumbsup:

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone read the journal of the lady that wore the same brown dress everyday for a year?

No. But I kinda feel like I did that with a special pair of hand me down jeans & a favorite outdoors shirt. It was a sad day when there weren't enough threads left to hold the jeans together. Still have the shirt, but the collar & cuffs are worn to nothing. It's like 12 yrs old now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga