• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My Very 1st Ski Lesson

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I just booked my very first ski lesson. I've been skiing for years; I was taught the basics by my uncle when I was 10, and have just been learning as I go along ever since. I definitely think I need some help to get me to the next level, so here we go. It'll be at Stratton, March 15, at 8:30am (bright and early!).

Anyone have any tips for me? Anything specific I should mention or ask?

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
Let us know how the lesson goes! I think me and you may be in similar positions and I am thinking of getting a lesson or two myself...

and that video was so adorable! I love the pole usage lol

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NVG, that video is great! You're lucky to have that in your collection.

So, since I received my new One Luvs, I haven't had an opportunity to break them in. I'll be doing my first runs with them at the same time as my ski lesson! I don't know if this is good or bad. I'm going to try to see if it's possible to get at least ONE run in (even if it's the bunny slope) just to at least get a feel for them before my lesson. However, my lesson is at 8:30am, and I'm seriously doubting I'll get to, unless my timing is impeccable (and the lift is within a stone's throw of the place to
meet for my lesson), which knowing me it won't be.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NVG, that video is great! You're lucky to have that in your collection.

So, since I received my new One Luvs, I haven't had an opportunity to break them in. I'll be doing my first runs with them at the same time as my ski lesson! I don't know if this is good or bad. I'm going to try to see if it's possible to get at least ONE run in (even if it's the bunny slope) just to at least get a feel for them before my lesson. However, my lesson is at 8:30am, and I'm seriously doubting I'll get to, unless my timing is impeccable (and the lift is within a stone's throw of the place to
meet for my lesson), which knowing me it won't be.

Hey snowbunny, Have fun! I'll be at skiing at Stratton tomorrow with DH and son. The lift pretty much is within a stone's throw of where you meet for lessons, but the lifts open at 8:30 (unless you have the right kind of pass, or pay extra for early opening) and since your lesson starts at 8:30...

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey snowbunny, Have fun! I'll be at skiing at Stratton tomorrow with DH and son. The lift pretty much is within a stone's throw of where you meet for lessons, but the lifts open at 8:30 (unless you have the right kind of pass, or pay extra for early opening) and since your lesson starts at 8:30...

Darn. I was afraid of that... Oh well!

Maybe I'll run into you!

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowbunny, You're already at the slopes... I hope you have a good time! Let us know how you like your new skis!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Finally got caught up and watched the video, NVG.
Wow, awesome!
You and sis are SO CUTE :smile:

I have a whole season of Ski magazines from the 1968-69 season that I got for DH, a great eBay find. I'll be scanning stuff when I get my desk cleared and posting some of the neat equipment ads, etc. Will harken back to your early era, Ski Diva's as well, also DH, who first skied in '68.

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I <3 my One Luvs! However, I noticed that I tend to clank my tips together on occasion, and I wonder if it's just because they're longer and I need some getting used to them. But I definitely feel a lot more confident on them, and they're a lot more effortless. Speed is now my friend! LOL!

My lesson was good, but I think it was a little too basic for me. He asked me what my goals were, and I started to tell him how I categorize myself as intermediate, and I'd like to progress towards the black diamonds... then he said he'd go over some basics that inter. skiers always have trouble with. So we went over some carving techniques... it was nice to hear that I've been doing it correctly all along, and it was also good to hear how I'm going about it (vs. just guessing my way through it), pinpointing which muscles are doing what, etc. However, in the end I was a little disappointed that I didn't get more out of it. It cost me $90 to find out I've been doing it correctly all along :/ Maybe I should have spoken up, but I've never taken a lesson and I didn't know what to expect. And, I had no idea where he was going with all this, and thought he'd be working his way up to something a little more challenging. Oh well. Now I know for next time!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's tough, there are great instructors, and not-so-great ones, and until you've taken a lesson from them (and spent your money) you don't really know what you're going to get. I took two bumps lessons that were a complete waste of my time and money before I got a fantastic instructor who really made it click for me. The one lesson was pretty much a disaster. It was an afternoon half-day and the rest of the group were taking full-day and had been skiing together all morning. So the instructor spent the whole afternoon referring to things that they had done in the morning. WHEN I WASN'T THERE. :mad: I really should have gone back to the ski school and complained, but oh well. When you get a great instructor, make sure you get their card so you can hopefully use them again! I know that sometimes, they give a discount as well if you take their card back to ski school to request another lesson.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga