• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My season has ended a few weeks early

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I went out on Monday to do just a couple of runs before heading home - and ended up injured.
I first twisted my knee (not sure if i twisted it then fell, or fell then twisted it - but it doesn't matter at this point) It didn't really hurt, but felt a little "wonky" so I though I could ski down gently and call it a day. I couldn't. My knee gave out when I tried to turn and I slammed down HARD on my arm. I knew it was broken right away. i didn't know how bad it was until after the sled ride down the mountain, in the first aid - it was an open, compound fracture of the distal humerus. (just above the elbow)

So fast forward to an ambulance ride and emergency surgery in Littleton, NH, I now have half a hardware store in my arm.

And will be on the couch for a while:frown:

Attachments

• fx.jpg
    fx.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 17
  • fx2.jpg
    fx2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 17

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Holy crap! THE ARM...oh, my, I think I would pass out just from the knowledge. Has the knee been diagnosed? That sounds super unstable :frown:

This is just awful. Hang in there!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is some picture! I hope you feel better and start to heal up fast. Who do you see down here now that the work is done?

newboots

Angel Diva
Ugh! I once had a badly sprained ankle and a broken metacarpal. It made life almost impossible for awhile! So sorry! How terrible that you had already decided to quit, then life smacked you right in the elbow! :frown: :confused: Nobody deserves this!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I think that’s an unusual arm injury. You must have slammed really hard!! It’s great that external fixation is not required. Has the knee been checked out? Is it stable? Take care of yourself, so both the arm and the knee heal well, and we can ski together again at Diva East next year.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for the well wishes and comments! It is exactly one week today since the accident, and of course it has been a long week, but i am doing ok.

Holy crap! THE ARM...oh, my, I think I would pass out just from the knowledge. Has the knee been diagnosed? That sounds super unstable :frown:

This is just awful. Hang in there!
The knee is looking like it was just a sprain. I can walk on it, it is stable, but still slightly swollen.
That is some picture! I hope you feel better and start to heal up fast. Who do you see down here now that the work is done?
I will be seeing Dr Eric Walsh at OrthoRI - I actually saw him years ago when I broke my pinky finger (yes, skiing) Of course this is a much more serious injury.
So sorry to hear this. How long did they say you'll need to keep it stabilized?
I'll find out more on Fri, but its not even casted, just wrapped. Surgeon felt that there was enough hardware holding it together so it did not need casting, and I would expect some ROM exercize to begin soon.
I think that’s an unusual arm injury. You must have slammed really hard!! It’s great that external fixation is not required. Has the knee been checked out? Is it stable? Take care of yourself, so both the arm and the knee heal well, and we can ski together again at Diva East next year.
Yes, Surgeon thought it was more consistent with a fall from a ladder rather than a skiing injury! Yes I guess I went down hard on it, I was not going fast, but it was early and cold, so the snow surface was quite firm too. Yes, thankfully no external fixation, and thankfully no nerve damage - so many nerves in that area too! I guess it could have been much worse. The knee is ok so far, probably just a sprain that caused all this! I can walk on it, it is stable, but still a little swollen. If it is not 100% after the arm heals then I will have to look into it further. And yes I am hoping to ski with you again at Diva East next year!

Thinking of skiing again - I am going to be scared! Definitely some PTSD issues as I keep relaying the accident in my head. And its not like I was trying some dangerous triple-black diamond trail when it happened, I was skiing a blue I have skied so many times, not fast or out of control. Humbling to think how dangerous the sport we all love can be - I never thought this would/could happen to me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna