• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My 2nd annual Alta visit: 4/8/2017 - 4/11/2017

alison wong

Angel Diva
My 2nd year visiting Alta, the goal I set for myself for this trip was, able to do the same runs that I did last year, without assistance or babysitting.

4/8/2017 – My first stay at a ski in/ ski out lodge, life is good!

I stayed at an airport hotel the night before and took shuttle to Alta on 4/8 morning.

I arrived to Alta with mixed feelings, happy because I got to slide again, sad because it was my last bash of the season.

This time I stayed at Snowpine Lodge, a ski in / ski out lodge. This was the 1st time I ever stayed in a true ski in / ski out place, I felt I was being splurged a little. But then I justified the splurging by the fact that this’d be my last bash of the season.

I arrived to Snowpine lodge in high spirit. I was able to check into my room immediately. The room was small with twin size bed, and shared bathroom. The lodge had a very homey and cozy feel, which I l
Snowpine lodge is the smallest lodge in Alta, 20 rooms. To my understanding, they will be expanding to 60 rooms, with elevator. There will be opening again in 2018/19 season after the expansion.

Picture of Snowpine. Location wise, this lodge is the closest to the Albion base.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.18.48 PM.png
I changed and booted up, got my lift ticket and was at the Sunnyside lift before it started running at 9:15am.

Continued my last year’s routine, I always warmed up at the Sunnyside, Cecret, and Supreme lifts in the morning. 2nd time visiting this place, I knew my way around better, so I was skiing solo in the morning, roaming around the trials freely without consulting the trail map.

Around mid morning, I went to meet up with Lucia (Mr T's wife) because they were here for the weekend. I met Lucia 1st time at Epic Ski gathering in WB, I was happy to ski with her again in Alta.

This was her first time visiting Alta. She was complaining to me about the poor visibility off the Sugarloaf chair. So I took her up to the Wildcat chair, which was a lower altitude than the Sugarloaf. We did one of my favorite runs, Aggie’s Alley.
Since she continued to have boot problem, I left her at the ski shop to fix her boots and went on my own to do another lap off the Wildcat chair.

Don’t know how I got so brave, I decided to do a black diamond off the Wildcat chair on my own. This was kind of the slope that it did not look so steep from the chair, but it was steep. As soon as I got on the trial, I knew I was in trouble. Well, too late to back out, it was clearly too steep for me to handle and, I could barely managed to do one turn, let alone consecutive turns. So I started to side slipping, then tried to make another turn. At times, I struggled to maintain my balance and I actually fell on my 3rd turn. Anyway, I made it down OK, and that run did not really dampen my confidence!

It was the Alta Demo day, all demo tents are set up near the Collins and Wildcat base.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.21.44 PM.png
Lucia picked up a pair of demo, we then went to Sunnyside and Supreme.
We spent most time lapping around trials in Supreme. By early afternoon, she was ready to quit because of her ankle pain from the boots.

After I left her, I decided to try a pair of demo skis myself, mainly for curiosity and also for the fun it. There were very limited skis that fit my criteria: intermediate, mid 150s in length, soft. I ended up a pair of DPS 105mm. @marzNC was nice enough to accompany me to do the demo run off the Wildcat chair.

I really struggled with that fat skis, it was so difficult to turn. During the last 1/3 of the run, I was paralyzed with fear and mostly side stepping (not side slipping) my way down off Corkscrew run (blue trail). @marzNC was literally babysitting me the entire time. I felt bad…
From this demo, I concluded that fat skis and I are not compatible for now.

The first day I never made my way to Sugarloaf and Collins chair. Primarily because of fear and I did not feel confident that I could do them on my own. Last year, I always had someone accompanying me skiing down the trails from those 2 chairs.

Snowpine lodge is half board, b'fast and dinner included. Dinner is 4 courses: 2 appetizers, 1 main course, 1 dessert.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.23.12 PM.png

4/9/2017 – First experience in skiing 16 inch of snow

Breakfast for the champion: ready for a powder day.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.24.38 PM.png

It was a challenging task to put on my skis in 16 inch deep of snow. Not to mention, as soon as I set down my skis, they sank so deep and I could not see them.
I finally made it to work and I was trying to ski downhill, but I fell…. I decided to take off my skis first and then got back up.
By the time I got up, my skis were lost in deep snow again. By the time I found my skis, I lost my poles. When I found both, I fell again as I was trying to put the skis on. This cycles continued for few more rounds. I was already sweating and hyperventilating, but I have not even started skiing and I was <10 feet away from the lodge!
Finally, I got on my skis and headed toward the rope tow. Snow was above my knee deep and I was actually skiing with my knees, moving 1 inch at a time…. Was this deep powder all about, so that I could ski with knees? If so, I didn’t know how to appreciate it…. coz it was not fun.

I decided to take a morning lesson this day….., Following my routine, I headed toward Sunnyside chair for warm up. I’ve never seen so many fell on ski slopes before, as I was wondering why, I took a tumble also, I rolled over and my bindings came off.

I was the only student in the group lesson, so it became a solo. I requested to learn some off piste skiing.

My lesson started with a run off Sugarloaf chair. I remembered from last year that trials off Sugarloaf were steep, I had to do few rounds of breathing exercise to gather the courage before heading down. To my surprise, this year, the blue trials off the Sugarloaf felt more like an advanced green, they were not steep at all.

My instructor first took me to an off piste area that was relatively flat, so I could get a feel of what “off piste” terrain was like. Then, she took me to a steeper trial, focusing on the techniques. Finally, she took me to a trail what was off piste and steep. This was a good step wise approach because I got to practice what I learned from the first two runs.

Before the lesson ended, my teacher gave me a blessing that I could ski the blues off Collins myself (initially she thought it was a bad idea because of the snow depth and ungroomed terrain).

Feeling confident and energetic, I spent the afternoon skiing blue trials off Collins and Sugarloaf, exploring the same areas that I visited last year. I did that all on my own, without any babysitting!

My last chair ride of the day was Collins chair, I downloaded at 4:24 pm. Feeling adventurous, I decided to ski a different blue trial, Main Street, to get back to the base. Man, that was a stupid decision! I thought I was heading towards Main Street but I could not see any lollipops, or signs. As I went further down, I came to an open space, without lollipops, felt like an off piste area. I saw one ski track, but it was already covered in snow. My guess was whomever was here last, it must be a while back. I did not see a single soul, so there was no one I could ask for direction. The lift should be stopped by now so no one would be coming…. I was lost and I had no idea where I was.

I had a slight panic. My heart said I should be fine because I shouldn’t be too far off the main trail, my head said something was not right. First thing came to mind, I should not fall because I did not want to get stuck in deep snow. Second thing came to mind, I had my cell and Alta Map with me. If worst came to worst, I could call for help. With that said, I should be OK. Next thing I did was to follow the ski track. Hallelujah ! I was relieved to see the Collins mid station not too far away, I knew where I should go now. As I was making my way down, I told myself I should never repeat such mistake again. Being adventurous is ok, but being adventurous after all lifts are closed? Bad idea.

The drag tow at the base to take me back to Snowpine lodge closed at 5 pm. I missed it by few minutes. I ended up carrying my skis and hiking uphill back to the lodge.

This was an interesting day.

This picture captured the tree-lined view from the Supreme lift. My instructor mentioned Supreme lift offered the best view of all lift chairs in Alta, which I agree.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.26.22 PM.png

alison wong

Angel Diva
After my lesson, I was skiing around the Supreme area in the afternoon. The cloud just cleared out and it felt like a blue bird day (for few minutes), an older gentleman asked me to take a picture for him. In return, I asked him to do the same for me. He used to ski in Alta when he was a kid. Alta to him is a magical place, he still tried to visit here from time to time. I ran into many people like him in Alta.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.28.31 PM.png

View from the Supreme area - looking downhill
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.56.30 PM.png

View from the Supreme area - Looking uphill
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.56.40 PM.png

4/10/2017 – Best day to ski is the day after the powder storm

Got a PM msg from Mr. T in the morning, his wife Lucia decided to extend her stay for 1 more day. Great, I got to ski with her again. I met up with tseeb and Lucia in the morning, 3 of us skied together for few runs. During the chair lift ride, we talked about Ballroom, a blue trial off Collins chair. Ballroom was the trial I wanted to visit since last year. For no particular reason, I just like the name because it sounded so inviting.

Me: Tony, is Ballroom steep? Do you think we can do it?

Mr. T.: Not so steep but it is deep.

Me: What do you mean deep? You mean, the snow is deep or the skis sink in deep into the snow.

Mr. T: You need to keep your skis to stay “afloat” on the snow.

Me: OK, once we get in there, we have to commit? There is no way out, to get back to the groomed trial, right?

Mr. T: (more explanation). If you guys wanted to go, I can go with you both. If you fall, I can help you to get up….

Me: So it is easy to fall?

Finally, I decided I was not ready for this and we parted our ways with Tseeb. He went to do his Devils Castle run, Lucia and I went back Sugarloaf to do our own “intermediate” thing.

I took this picture because, as we got off Sugarloaf chair, I saw skiers waiting in line to do the Devil's Castle run, Mr. T was one of them waiting. As an intermediate, I guess I don't understand what's the fun about this? I think I would be exhausted by the time I get to the top, I would not have any energy left to ski down.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.59.09 PM.png

First few runs off Sugarloaf, I took the lead and Lucia followed (since I knew the area better). After, I told her to lead. Things got interesting again. She was ahead of me and I saw her missed the turn to the blue trails, heading toward the 2 blacks – Amen and Extrovert. I was in a moral dilemma: should I be a good person to go after her and let her know what’s ahead of us? Then we helped each other to get down on a black diamond? OR, should I be a selfish person, just head to the blue trial and let her deal with whatever needs to be dealt with by herself? I decided to be a good person!

I finally caught up to her and I said: “Hey, do you know this is a black diamond?! It is steep!” She looked down Extrovert and said: “But it was groomed, it should be ok. You just have to make turn like this….” She showed me how she did it, and waited me at half way point. I followed her and first 2 turns was a bit shaky, but after I got the rhythm, it was fine, it was no different than turning on blue runs. As soon I made it down to the bottom, I was glad that I decided to be a good person! I thanked her for taking me to this run and, pushed me a bit further.

Never in my wildest dream that I thought I could ski down a black diamond in Alta, this was not part of my expectation for this trip.

I felt good about this Extrovert run and I requested her to repeat it few more times.

For lunch, we met up with tseeb for a quick break at Collins mid-station. In the afternoon, we headed to Wildcat and Collins chair, tseeb did couple runs with us before he headed out to Snowbird via a traverse (Baldy chair was closed). From Aggie’s Alley trial, tseeb showed us how to ski a short off piste.

Then he took us to the two black diamonds (off Collins chair): Collins Face and the one next to it (forgot the name). Both felt a bit steeper than Extrovert but they were shorter, I thought they were manageable. Again, I felt elated that I conquered 2 more black diamonds in Alta. Sincerely, I could not do any of these on my own. I thanked Lucia again and she said: “I know you could do it, I would not have taken you to places that you could not handle.”

Mr. T called and told us Baldy chair in Snowbird was running again. Lucia and I then went to Snowbird, we only did two runs and decided to head back to Alta. We were back to Collins chair, ended up in the area close to Ballroom, debating again whether or not we should go in….. Lucia was braver than me, she decided to give it a try, I followed. This was my first time to Ballroom, I realized one needed to go through a traverse to access the area. (Traverse makes me nervous because it is narrow. Last year I did a traverse in Alta to access Sunspot, I had an entourage of 4 advanced skiers to help me out.) Surprisingly this time I managed the traverse OK, I did it by myself and I did not freak out. The ballroom area was not groomed, it was tricky to turn and we took our time to find our way down.

I think we picked the right time to go to Ballroom. Even though the terrain condition was not great, there was no traffic, so we could take our time to go through the traverse and we were not blocking any traffic. I survived Ballroom and had fun doing it, I decided to try it the 2nd time.

I did a lot this day and I was all over the place, including places that I never thought I would be able to go in my lifetime. I felt content and satisfied.

Me and the Ballroom! - Lucia took this picture for me when I skid Ballroom the 2nd time.
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 7.02.44 PM.png

alison wong

Angel Diva
I like the fact that Snowpine Lodge sets out something for guests to snack on in afternoons. Usually, it's cookies and fruits.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 7.03.49 PM.png

4/11/2017 – Last day of my season

To continue my last year’s tradition, I’d spend a day in Snowbird also. I decided to go to Snowbird on my last day.

I was going to do their 9:30 am tour, but I was told by the mtn. host to better to do the 10:30 am tour because condition would be better. I spent the next hour on Chickadee, this bunny slope, practicing the stuff I learned from my Alta instructor 2 days ago.

At 10:30 am, there were 2 more folks joining the tour. Originally there was only one mtn host to take us all 3. But the 2nd mtn. host decided to join us. We headed out Peruvian lift, went through the tunnel and headed out to Mineral Basin (?). Condition wise, Snowbird was clearly icier than Alta. I freaked a bit, and did not ski well the first run. Seeing how I skied, the 2nd mtn host decided to break the group and took me to the tour separately. She led me to a Lupin’s run and then toward Baldy Chair. She skied quite fast down on this cat track. Again, I freaked because I became nervous on narrow icy trails. When I arrived to the bottom of Baldy, I told her I decided to go back to Alta, would try to visit Snowbird some other time. So that was the end of my snowbird day.

What a night and day difference between Snowbird and Alta, snow condition was much better in Alta! I skied down Sugarloaf and headed out to Supreme, no issues, no freak outs. As I was on the Supreme chair, I saw another black diamond, Challenger, I was tempted to try it also. I did not get to do this one with Lucia yesterday.

I then ran into @marzNC and her ski buddy. So, I asked her opinion about this Challenger run. She and her ski buddy were nice to go with me…. Snow condition was not as good as the day before, I did not ski so well. But having someone there to guide you down the first time, it helped a lot. It is always my motto that, if it is difficult the 1st time, I must try the 2nd time. So I did. Second time around, it was a bit better. Then MarzNC took me to this off piste trial near the Supreme lift. Off piste skiing was not easy. I felt like I had no control of my skis and I did not how to control it. I fell once but no biggie. I had fun doing it.

After lunch, I bid farewell to @marzNC . Then I headed back to Ceret and Supreme chair, I wanted to ride them for one last time and took few pictures. Both won’t be here next year.

I did my last run at 2 pm then I headed back Snowpine, packed and checked out.

These 2 chairs won't be in Alta starting next year.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 7.05.26 PM.png

After thoughts:

1. From this Alta trip, I finally got a full sense of skiing off piste. It was hard!

2. Skiing in deep powder was also difficult. Few inch of powder would be ideal. However, 16 inch was too much for an intermediate to handle. In all honesty, I can’t rave about the deep powder skiing the day that Alta got 16 inch of snow, because it was not fun. However, it was a great experience that I was grateful and felt fortunate to be able to experience it. You don’t get that in every ski trips.

3. There are not many groomed trials in Alta. Alta is more about off piste skiing. From an intermediate perspective, if one just ski groomers, it can get bored.

4. Skiing in Niseko, Japan was high on my bucket list before. After this trip, I don't think I am ready for powder skiing anytime soon. So Niseko will be on my back burner for now.

I think I have a clearer sense of what my goal should be in the coming years after this trip.

Overall, I deemed this trip a success because I was able to accomplish more than I set out myself to achieve.

Last but not least, shout out to @marznc, I always enjoying skiing with you, hope we will get to do this many more years to come!

Christy

Angel Diva
Skiing in deep powder was also difficult. Few inch of powder would be ideal. However, 16 inch was too much for an intermediate to handle. In all honesty, I can’t rave about the deep powder skiing the day that Alta got 16 inch of snow, because it was not fun.

Right? You'd never know this by the way people talk about powder but it really does take practice. One you start to get it, it's amazing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
3. There are not many groomed trials in Alta. Alta is more about off piste skiing. From an intermediate perspective, if one just ski groomers, it can get bored.

Actually the number of groomers varies a great deal in late season, depending on temps and snowstorm timing. For instance, I didn't remember Amen as a groomed black. Usually ungroomed. But when off-piste is going to be frozen and not fun even for experts, then Alta seems to be grooming more trails. Similar story for Challenger, although it gets groomed fairly often.

Agree that someone spending a 4+ days only skiing blue groomers at Alta could get a little bored. Folks who don't have the time or interest to work on improving technique tend to be happier at Park City when flying to SLC.

2. Skiing in deep powder was also difficult. Few inch of powder would be ideal. However, 16 inch was too much for an intermediate to handle. In all honesty, I can’t rave about the deep powder skiing the day that Alta got 16 inch of snow, because it was not fun. However, it was a great experience that I was grateful and felt fortunate to be able to experience it. You don’t get that in every ski trips.

Yep, the best depth for starting to play in powder is 4-6 inches. Dealing with more than that without powder skis can be very complicated. Plus if the pitch is too mellow, can end up stuck when the powder is too deep and have to break a trail to walk out on skis. First tracks in a little powder on an Alta groomer is great fun!

1. From this Alta trip, I finally got a full sense of skiing off piste. It was hard!

One advantage of learning to enjoy off-piste skiing is that many people don't so that it's a lot easier to find places where you don't have to worry about watching out for out-of-control folks. I didn't think bumps would be worth the effort but my ski buddies that I started doing trips with in 2010 liked them. I did want to learn to ski powder. Soon learned that powder lasts longer in trees, and the way to learn to ski trees was first to learn to ski bumps. It's been well worth the effort to take lessons and learn how and what to practice.

newboots

Angel Diva
I second your vote on powder! I'm just making it into intermediate, and my experience with deep (1 foot) powder was - what a challenge! I had fun in 6" earlier in the season, though. I discovered how much slower I went, so I tried a bunch of harder trails that I wouldn't have normally ventured onto. I fell often, enjoying it.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Right? You'd never know this by the way people talk about powder but it really does take practice. One you start to get it, it's amazing.

Yes, this trip was a "reality" check for me. For my level, I can't appreciate this yet and I don't understand how it can be addictive. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Otherwise, I would be having a ski brain every winter!

Actually the number of groomers varies a great deal in late season, depending on temps and snowstorm timing. For instance, I didn't remember Amen as a groomed black. Usually ungroomed. But when off-piste is going to be frozen and not fun even for experts, then Alta seems to be grooming more trails. Similar story for Challenger, although it gets groomed fairly often.

Agree that someone spending a 4+ days only skiing blue groomers at Alta could get a little bored. Folks who don't have the time or interest to work on improving technique tend to be happier at Park City when flying to SLC.

Yep, the best depth for starting to play in powder is 4-6 inches. Dealing with more than that without powder skis can be very complicated. Plus if the pitch is too mellow, can end up stuck when the powder is too deep and have to break a trail to walk out on skis. First tracks in a little powder on an Alta groomer is great fun!

One advantage of learning to enjoy off-piste skiing is that many people don't so that it's a lot easier to find places where you don't have to worry about watching out for out-of-control folks. I didn't think bumps would be worth the effort but my ski buddies that I started doing trips with in 2010 liked them. I did want to learn to ski powder. Soon learned that powder lasts longer in trees, and the way to learn to ski trees was first to learn to ski bumps. It's been well worth the effort to take lessons and learn how and what to practice.

OK thanks for the info. and your explanation. Now I am finally connecting the dots.... between ski bumps, trees and powder. Generally speaking, for me, skiing on groomers can be a bit boring. For the places I've been to this year, I stayed mostly on groomers (except Alta and SSV) and in the end, I feel like all places groomers are alike.... I want to venture out more next year.

For the places and type of terrains I skied this year, gully is my new found love. I did few times in Val D'Isere, the trial called "Vallon" (blue in Europe, equivalent of green in the U.S.) and it was addictive! I don't mind skiing those all day long and all season!

alison wong

Angel Diva
I second your vote on powder! I'm just making it into intermediate, and my experience with deep (1 foot) powder was - what a challenge! I had fun in 6" earlier in the season, though. I discovered how much slower I went, so I tried a bunch of harder trails that I wouldn't have normally ventured onto. I fell often, enjoying it.

Good thing about powder is, it feels like you fall into bed of soft clouds. After so many fell on that powder day at Alta, now I know the trick how to get back up quickly. (there is lesson learned in every experience, whether good or bad.)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I like the fact that Snowpine Lodge sets out something for guests to snack on in afternoons. Usually, it's cookies and fruits.

View attachment 7094

4/11/2017 – Last day of my season

To continue my last year’s tradition, I’d spend a day in Snowbird also. I decided to go to Snowbird on my last day.

I was going to do their 9:30 am tour, but I was told by the mtn. host to better to do the 10:30 am tour because condition would be better. I spent the next hour on Chickadee, this bunny slope, practicing the stuff I learned from my Alta instructor 2 days ago.

At 10:30 am, there were 2 more folks joining the tour. Originally there was only one mtn host to take us all 3. But the 2nd mtn. host decided to join us. We headed out Peruvian lift, went through the tunnel and headed out to Mineral Basin (?). Condition wise, Snowbird was clearly icier than Alta. I freaked a bit, and did not ski well the first run. Seeing how I skied, the 2nd mtn host decided to break the group and took me to the tour separately. She led me to a Lupin’s run and then toward Baldy Chair. She skied quite fast down on this cat track. Again, I freaked because I became nervous on narrow icy trails. When I arrived to the bottom of Baldy, I told her I decided to go back to Alta, would try to visit Snowbird some other time. So that was the end of my snowbird day.

What a night and day difference between Snowbird and Alta, snow condition was much better in Alta! I skied down Sugarloaf and headed out to Supreme, no issues, no freak outs. As I was on the Supreme chair, I saw another black diamond, Challenger, I was tempted to try it also. I did not get to do this one with Lucia yesterday.

I then ran into @marzNC and her ski buddy. So, I asked her opinion about this Challenger run. She and her ski buddy were nice to go with me…. Snow condition was not as good as the day before, I did not ski so well. But having someone there to guide you down the first time, it helped a lot. It is always my motto that, if it is difficult the 1st time, I must try the 2nd time. So I did. Second time around, it was a bit better. Then MarzNC took me to this off piste trial near the Supreme lift. Off piste skiing was not easy. I felt like I had no control of my skis and I did not how to control it. I fell once but no biggie. I had fun doing it.

After lunch, I bid farewell to @marzNC . Then I headed back to Ceret and Supreme chair, I wanted to ride them for one last time and took few pictures. Both won’t be here next year.

I did my last run at 2 pm then I headed back Snowpine, packed and checked out.

These 2 chairs won't be in Alta starting next year.

View attachment 7095

After thoughts:

4. Skiing in Niseko, Japan was high on my bucket list before. After this trip, I don't think I am ready for powder skiing anytime soon. So Niseko will be on my back burner for now.

I think I have a clearer sense of what my goal should be in the coming years after this trip.

Overall, I deemed this trip a success because I was able to accomplish more than I set out myself to achieve.

Last but not least, shout out to @marznc, I always enjoying skiing with you, hope we will get to do this many more years to come!
@alison wong your trip reports are delightful...would you do mine for me?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good thing about powder is, it feels like you fall into bed of soft clouds. After so many fell on that powder day at Alta, now I know the trick how to get back up quickly. (there is lesson learned in every experience, whether good or bad.)
My friend who was at Alta for the first time also fell over a couple times in deep snow while going slow. The first time was right after leaving the Alta Lodge locker room because she followed her son on the "short cut" to the groomed tow slope. Heard that it took her 10 min to dig out and get re-organized. Pretty sure she took off her skis. She thought it was great fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
OK thanks for the info. and your explanation. Now I am finally connecting the dots.... between ski bumps, trees and powder. Generally speaking, for me, skiing on groomers can be a bit boring. For the places I've been to this year, I stayed mostly on groomers (except Alta and SSV) and in the end, I feel like all places groomers are alike.... I want to venture out more next year.

For the places and type of terrains I skied this year, gully is my new found love. I did few times in Val D'Isere, the trial called "Vallon" (blue in Europe, equivalent of green in the U.S.) and it was addictive! I don't mind skiing those all day long and all season!
Ah, then next year you'll have to try the Three Bears gully. More than one place to get in or out. The children ski school instructors take kids in there starting at Level 6 when snow conditions are good. The Level 8 kids learn how to take the jump at the end. At least that's where my daughter first started jumping off natural features.

The gully below Watson's also has multiple places to enter. It's the one that comes up just above Corkscrew.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I always love your trip reports @alison wong ! And skiing powder is SO hard! I had such a hard time skiing in deep deep powder this year at Whistler - and falling. Getting up is SO hard. I remember when I had this big fall (but no bruises because it was fluffy fluffy snow!) at Whistler, and it took me 20 minutes to get up, and I was hot and sweaty and huffing and puffing, and couldn't use my poles because they were sinking do deep! What a workout. The other fun thing about powder: faceplants :smile: But hey, if you're not falling, you're not learning, right? Hope I get to ski Alta with you one day!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna