• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mtn biking- what do you prefer to wear on the bottom?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You mean it's impossible to find extra-large-sized, female-shaped baggy bike shorts??????? I'm SHOCKED!! :scared:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer lycra, and although I wear a skort when road cycling (for modestly), I wear regular pants on my MTB. I tried the skort, but like volklgirl, it would get caught on the nose of my seat. Scary sometimes when needing to make a quick hop on and off.

I've tried on the baggy shorts, and again like VG, I have had a hard time finding any that fit. This year, Novara had a pair that actually fit my waist and hips, but I couldn't see any advantage to them. The liner pulled at the outer layer in a weird way, plus I looked like I had on a pair of diapers. So if they don't make me look any better, I'll stick with lycra--don't need the extra layer in humid NE anyway.

Regarding covering up. For the first time last year, I started covering up during hikes in the sun--like above treeline--and it made a HUGE difference. I felt much better than having the sun bake me. So climbing in the woods, I'll be down to as little as possible, but carry a light shirt for above treeline ascents. Wonder if I should try it on my bike as well?

altagirl

Staff member
You mean it's impossible to find extra-large-sized, female-shaped baggy bike shorts??????? I'm SHOCKED!! :scared:

At least the Shredly ones are offered in a size 16 (I wouldn't say they run big, but they have some stretch.) But I know what you mean.

And I'm with you - MTB baggies that don't fit right are the worst. I'd rather just wear plain spandex shorts too, than suffer through baggies that don't feel right.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I love capris (on my road bike, most of the time I wear capris, even when it's 100 degrees - the ones I have are designed/proven to stay like 7 degrees cooler than bare skin even though they are black)

Which ones do you have? I am pretty sick of frying the 3" above my knees and I'd love some capris I can wear once it gets hot out.

altagirl

Staff member
Which ones do you have? I am pretty sick of frying the 3" above my knees and I'd love some capris I can wear once it gets hot out.

I have Sugoi Mobil capris. They're super lightweight and fast-drying, and somewhat stretchy, but pretty durable. They have held up to being snagged on branches or the occasional fall. This is making me think I should buy another pair.... :smile:

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/s...zmap=2175903&gclid=CMHpm5jUyb0CFbQWMgodxiUAfg

Note - these don't come with a chamois. In years past, Sugoi made a version that came with a separate chamois liner - but honestly I get pretty picky about liner shorts, if I use them at all, so I kind of like not paying extra for a chamois that I won't use anyway. And I like being able to wear the capris for hiking or whatever too. And they are stretchy enough that they work for me for yoga as well.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I'm a complete newbie to mountain biking - I just started last summer and I have no idea what to/not to wear while on my bike, but I've taken to stretchy capris from Mountain Equipment Co-op. They are comfortable and have butt padding, which makes for a much more comfortable ride for me. I really like the look of the Shredly pants @altagirl. I will have to check them out. On top, I usually layer merino wool tshirt, fleece, shell (it can get pretty chilly here, even in the throws of summer).

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I wear baggies; my favorites are a pair of Pearlizumi's that have a detachable liner. They're pretty long, so they keep my upper legs from getting scratched up. I like that when I take the liner out, they can double as hiking shorts. And, I've used the liner under lyrcra tights and capris on cooler days.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I''ll be honest that a few of my men's baggies have made it into my regular summer short rotation. Definitely more of a butch look, but sometimes I like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna