• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mr. SkiDiva's book Finn

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just finished reading Mr. SkiDiva's book Finn. Calling it dark is an understatement. I loved it.

The only other novels I've encountered that venture into this territory are those of Joyce Carol Oates, who loves to figure out what makes uncommon (and disturbing) people tick, and In Cold Blood, which for Capote was a happy accident anyway.

I didn't want to stop reading Finn. It stayed in my head during the day like one of those songs that wouldn't stop repeating. It kept me happy for a couple of weeks, so I'm glad I didn't have the time to read it in one sitting. I'm sorry it's over. It was that kind of book and more.

The language was beautiful, and different. Just reading one paragraph after another was a pleasure too new to describe. The river was a felt force and I can sense its movement right now. Finn was totally believable, his actions seemingly unmanipulated by any usual authorial motive (entertainment, ideology, ethics, titillation, whatever). The interior spaces of his character are complex and sad and evil and all the things that prompt questions of justice and blame. The time shifts kept me busy until I gave up on sequencing, and once I did that I slipped into another layer of understanding. I think that was the way it was supposed to work, such a surprise. The mysteries of the plot were slowly revealed in an oblique way, a process so interwoven with the way everything was told that it seemed a natural part of the air.

What a pleasure to read.

If they make a movie of this, there's a danger that the voice embedded in the words will be gone and all that will be left is character and plot - not anywhere near what makes this book the mountainous accomplishment it is. I hope only the best producer/director gets the rights, recognizes the book's unique strengths, and comes up with equivalent filmic translations of those strengths. That'll take some vision.

Read this book!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you liked it, LF. Now you know why I was so excited about it. If I may say so myself, it truly is a work of art.

I'm thinking about buying it as an audio CD for my husband for father's day. He head about Finn on XM BBC Radio and then I mentioned that the author is Mr. Ski Diva :D ....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't seen that one before.

Something new that's pretty cool: Jon's going to be giving a talk at the Mark Twain house in Hartford, CT on July 24, sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities. A real honor.

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Jon's not a forum poster, but do you think you could get him to go to AW to say "Hi!" He is developing quite a fan club on that site. It's cloe to impossible for first time fiction writers to land a Random House deal, so he is an inspiration!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone hear Mr. Ski Diva on National Public Radio's Weekend Edition this morning??? Talking about Finn, of course.

He was delighted -- features on both him and Nick Lowe, whom he loves, in the same half hour!

Pretty cool!

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, we heard the interview with him this morning. Very nice!!

Congrats to him!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga