• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mr. Ski Diva's new book, "The General and Julia," comes out November 14!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you know that Mr. Ski Diva is a pretty accomplished author (yes, I'm extremely proud). His first book, "Finn," was named one of best books of 2007 by The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, and The Christian Science Monitor, and was named a Notable Book of the Year by the American Library Association. His second book, "Kings of the Earth," was named a must read for the summer of 2010 in Oprah's O Magazine. And his last book, "Marley," has been optioned for a play in London's West End.

Anyway, his next book, "The General and Julia," comes out November 14. It's historical fiction, and it's about the last days of Ulysses S. Grant, as he lay dying in a cottage in the Adirondacks, where he reflects on the crucial moments of his life as a husband, a father, a general, and a president.

Here's a video that pretty much sums it up:

If you have a book club and you'd like Jon to Zoom in, let me know and we can set something up.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Is he taking pre-orders and doing signed copies? :D or should I bring a copy to Diva East?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't sell the books, himself. You can order it on Amazon or get it at your favorite bookstore. And yes, if you want it signed, bring it to Diva East!

If you'd like to order a signed copy, you can probably do so from our local bookshop, The Book Nook in Ludlow. You might have to call to ask, though. I think Northshire Books in Manchester, VT, will have them, too.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Heh, thanks. I didn’t think he personally sold books but wanted to know where he was selling signed copies! I’ll call Book Nook and see if they’ll mail a copy to me.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, thanks. I didn’t think he personally sold books but wanted to know where he was selling signed copies! I’ll call Book Nook and see if they’ll mail a copy to me.

Oops, I take this back. Jon tells me to have you call Northshire, instead (as should anyone who wants a signed copy).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone who's interested in attending a signing and reading/discussion for Jon's new book, here's the schedule right now (a couple are virtual, so you don't even have to attend in person):

11/12 The Back Room, virtual - 7:00 PM
11/13 WGTD-FM/Wisconsin NPR - 10 AM ET
11/14 Launch Day - Go buy a copy
11/16 Mark Twain House, virtual -7:00 PM
11/18 Miami Book Fair, Miami, FL - 5 PM
11/29 RJ Julia Booksellers – Madison, CT - 6:30 PM
12/01 Northshire Books - Manchester, VT - 6:00 PM
12/08 Fletcher Library - Ludlow VT - 6:00 PM
12/10 Norwich Bookstore, Norwich, VT - 7:00 PM
12/19 USC Beaufort - Bluffton, SC - 12:00 PM
1/17 National Civil War Museum – Harrisburg, PA - 6:00 PM
1/23 Northshire Books – Saratoga Springs, NY - 6:00 PM
1/31 Odyssey Bookshop - S. Hadley, MA - 7:00 PM

Last edited:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone who's interested in attending a signing and reading/discussion for Jon's new book, here's the schedule right now (a couple are virtual, so you don't even have to attend in person):

11/12 The Back Room, virtual - 7:00 PM
11/13 WGTD-FM/Wisconsin NPR - 10 AM ET
11/14 Launch Day - Go buy a copy
11/16 Mark Twain House, virtual -7:00 PM
11/18 Miami Book Fair, Miami, FL - 5 PM
11/29 RJ Julia Booksellers – Madison, CT - 6:30 PM
12/01 Northshire Books - Manchester, VT - 6:00 PM
12/08 Fletcher Library - Ludlow VT - 6:00 PM
12/10 Norwich Bookstore, Norwich, VT - 7:00 PM
12/19 USC Beaufort - Bluffton, SC - 12:00 PM
1/17 National Civil War Museum – Harrisburg, PA - 6:00 PM
1/23 Northshire Books – Saratoga Springs, NY - 6:00 PM
1/31 Odyssey Bookshop - S. Hadley, MA - 7:00 PM

I remember asking Jon at Diva East last year if he was doing any readings- at the time the answer was no but I'm glad that the answer is now yes! I specifically remember that I meant to ask about Northshire as it's a fantastic shop and pretty close to you guys (my in-laws have had a condo in Manchester VT for 20+ years and it's a favorite shop when we visit), but I said "Odyssey" because I also lived many years in South Hadley. (The Odyssey is pretty good but not as awesome as Northshire IMHO). It's cool to see that both made the list!

I'm not in a book club but my in-laws are... I'll tell them about the book and see if their groups would be interested in the Zoom. Or is that offer Divas only?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I remember asking Jon at Diva East last year if he was doing any readings- at the time the answer was no but I'm glad that the answer is now yes! I specifically remember that I meant to ask about Northshire as it's a fantastic shop and pretty close to you guys (my in-laws have had a condo in Manchester VT for 20+ years and it's a favorite shop when we visit), but I said "Odyssey" because I also lived many years in South Hadley. (The Odyssey is pretty good but not as awesome as Northshire IMHO). It's cool to see that both made the list!

I'm not in a book club but my in-laws are... I'll tell them about the book and see if their groups would be interested in the Zoom. Or is that offer Divas only?

He's happy to Zoom with any book club. Let me know if you want to set it up.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If Marley gets produced in London's West End ... let us all know. I can't speak for anyone else but Bob and I will fly out to see it!

EVERYONE will hear about it. First it was held up by Covid, then it was the writer's strike (yes, this affected London), so who knows if or when this will happen.

To put this in perspective, his novel, FINN, was optioned for a movie in 2008. The option is still getting renewed every 18 months, but no movie yet.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
That's why I said "if." It's such a pain that someone can option it and do nothing; very frustrating part of the system!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Divas, if you want to attend a a virtual event for Jon's new book, there's one being sponsored by The Twain House, Mark Twain's old digs in Hartford, CT, at 7PM EST on November 16. You'll have to pre-register, but you can do that here.

tempImage9MxVMH.jpg

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So this is really cool: The CBS affiliate in New York has selected "The General and Julia" as one of three potential selections for its book club next month. This is a pretty big deal, given the size of the New York metro area. The public gets to choose by voting on the one they want, between now and November 28. Here’s the video that went up this morning. If you wait til the end of the awful ad at the top, you’ll see the video of went out on the air. And if you scroll down, you can cast your vote (and even read an excerpt). PLEASE VOTE FOR THE GENERAL! It'd be tremendous if Jon won.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga