• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Mount Washington - Vancouver Island

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have some friends who are going to be instructing at Mount Washington on Vancouver Island for the '10/'11 season. I'm keen to know what it's like and if we should be thinking about making a trip from the UK to visit them. If we do go we will plan on staying for a couple of weeks as it is such a long way for us (from the UK) but on the web site it looks pretty limited - inbound at least. Does anyone here have any experience of skiing there? Is there enough terrain to maintain interest for a 2 week trip?

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mt washington is a super fun mountain to ski, it's not big but it does have some cool terrain. the reason I wouldn't want to spend a long time there is because there's nothing there. A handful of ski lodges and that's it. No shops, no restaurants, no entertainment, nothing. There is no town. I think it's an awesome place to visit for a weekend. I was lucky enough to have powder days both times I went and loved the skiing, but I think I would go out of my mind if I was there for 2 weeks!

I suggest you ski elsewhere in BC and visit them for a few days out of your trip. getting to mt washington from whistler, for example, is super easy. you hop on a ferry at horseshoe bay and it's an easy drive from nanaimo....

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eeeek - :eek: Glad I checked! Thanks for the quick reply - sounds like a definite 'no-no' for a 2 week trip - let alone spending the whole season there... think I'd maybe better try to persuade my friends to keep hunting for work at another resort. They spent last season at Jasper/Marmot Basin and were suffering with cabin fever after a couple of months there as it was pretty small and limited for entertainment so from what you're saying it sounds as though Mt Washington may not be the best choice for them!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Whistler/Blackcomb would be a far better choice if they are looking for a place to instruct for the season, and I bet they'd have lots of friends wanting to visit. :becky:

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm sure you're right but they are just starting out with instructing so may not be able to pick and choose their resort. I'm sure there will be lines around the block for the jobs at Whistler/Blackcomb!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm sure you're right but they are just starting out with instructing so may not be able to pick and choose their resort. I'm sure there will be lines around the block for the jobs at Whistler/Blackcomb!

In that case they should check out the Vancouver mountains, Cypress, Seymour and Grouse. They hire lots of new instructors and there's easy access to WB for days off....

PS, are they certified? where are they from and what is their visa situation?

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In that case they should check out the Vancouver mountains, Cypress, Seymour and Grouse. They hire lots of new instructors and there's easy access to WB for days off....

PS, are they certified? where are they from and what is their visa situation?

Yes, they did the course last season up at Marmot - I think they both have level 2 certification. I'll definitely pass on the tip about tryng some of the other Vancouver mountains - thanks!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so level 2 but no teaching experience? They could apply here if they wouldn't mind teaching 3 and 4 year olds or beginner 5-7 year olds and they have their own visas. We hire brand new Aussies and British kids to do this every year....

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so level 2 but no teaching experience? They could apply here if they wouldn't mind teaching 3 and 4 year olds or beginner 5-7 year olds and they have their own visas. We hire brand new Aussies and British kids to do this every year....

The two weeks that we spent there with our then 4yo in adventure camp we never knew their instructors were brand new or that perhaps they may have rather taught adults. Both were fabulous and one even told us where to find powder stashes a few days after a big dump!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The two weeks that we spent there with our then 4yo in adventure camp we never knew their instructors were brand new or that perhaps they may have rather taught adults. Both were fabulous and one even told us where to find powder stashes a few days after a big dump!

If they were telling you that then they probably weren't brand new!! The "minis" program has a small but dedicated group of very experienced instructors who teach the little ones because that is what they love to do. Yes, we have to hire new people every year, and they have to start somewhere, but that area of the ski school is by no means entirely made up of new people. not by a long shot.

Jilly

Staff member
Level 1 and 2's usually end up with the beginners, not necessarily kids. Kid's need a special mentality, just like school teachers that teach junior grades. I myself will ask for beginner adults, which alot of instructors don't like either, over kids. I'm just not good with them as I didn't raise any and don't understand them! But I understand the fear that an adult has. So psycho wise I'm better with adults then children.

But with most ski schools, they're biggest client base is kids, so that's where the instructors are needed.

I wish the CSIA had a kid accreditation program like the PSIA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga