• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

More ski resorts going to RFID

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The first time I encountered an RFID system was in Europe and probably in the early 2000's. I remember thinking "what on earth is this?" We had cards and were told to keep in pocket, but we kept taking ours out, and skiers were in line shaking their heads in foreign languages like "what is she doing?"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking back at Page 1, I started this thread in the summer of 2015 when Steamboat was installing RFID gates. Okemo also moved to RFID that year. Now it feels like it's time for a thread to tease out which ski resorts don't have RFID for lift access yet. Maybe next summer. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
One more ski resort in the southeast has installed RFID. Canaan Valley is in a West Virginia State Park. The new owners of neighboring Timberline Mountain added RFID as part of the major investments made before Timberline re-opened a few years ago.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wolf Creek Ski Area has gone to RFID. They are using the cardboard RFID cards for day tickets. I assume season pass holders get plastic cards.

Can't re-load online. Can buy a dated ticket in advance if at the ticket window.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Had a problem with RFID this week at Killington. I had a Stowe pass and Jay Peak pass. Even though I didn’t aim them toward the scanner it picked it up anyway and rejected my Killington RFID bc of them. Had to go to guest services to obtain sleeves for the other passes. Now I know!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Stratton does not have RFID and it was a pia to take the pass out each time. The staff was so nice that I mentioned this to that she gave me a special id clip that retracts and pulls out if needed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a problem with RFID this week at Killington. I had a Stowe pass and Jay Peak pass. Even though I didn’t aim them toward the scanner it picked it up anyway and rejected my Killington RFID bc of them. Had to go to guest services to obtain sleeves for the other passes. Now I know!
I've heard the lifties at Alta tell people they could put other RFID passes next to their phone in order to avoid a conflict when going through Alta gates.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a small rfid blocking card holder that I use to store everything but the lift pass of the day. I have a deep inside pocket in my ski jacket that I keep it in, so I never have the problem of getting to the lift and saying oh sh%#, where is the right one, or having to go back to the lodge and dig through my boot bag, or worse realize I must have left it at home. I also usually keep an emergency $20 in there, but I think that was spent last season and needs to be replenished. But if I ever decide to wear a different jacket for the day... all bets are off.

marzNC

Angel Diva
But if I ever decide to wear a different jacket for the day... all bets are off.
I remember reading about a resort that allowed people to have multiple RFID cards active at the same time. That meant they could keep a different card in each jacket. I haven't come across that option yet. That would be handy in late season when I bring more than one jacket depending on the temperature.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Utah skiers are generally pretty familiar with RFID since Alta and Solitude were early adopters about 15 years ago. However, RFID is new to Sundance for 2022-23. Here's their video introducing RFID cards. Includes an introduction to a ticket machine. Also mentions the fact that a liftie can see the photo on a tablet that's stored with the pass as the passholder passes through a gate. Apparently Sundance is giving out a goggle strap pass holder for kids.

January 10, 2023

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a new experience with RFID lift access on my recent trip that included Grand Targhee and Bridger Bowl. Both are new to RFID for 2022-23. They didn't install any RFID gates. They are using hand scanners at the base lifts. Difference is that there is no need to scan a bar code so the RFID card stays in whatever pocket it was placed in. Don't need to be too close but it helps if someone holds out an arm or points to where the card is located.

I think both places are using AXESS for RFID lift access. Needless to say, not having to build RFID gates probably decreases the cost of moving to RFID. For sure that should address the concern that some lifties have that having RFID cards means fewer jobs.

Jilly

Staff member
The current RFID gates at Tremblant are used by the ski school or on hill home owners. It's Axess brand. So it will be interesting. They didn't mention if it would gates or scanners. With the union, I suspect it will be the scanners.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Had a new experience with RFID lift access on my recent trip that included Grand Targhee and Bridger Bowl. Both are new to RFID for 2022-23. They didn't install any RFID gates. They are using hand scanners at the base lifts. Difference is that there is no need to scan a bar code so the RFID card stays in whatever pocket it was placed in. Don't need to be too close but it helps if someone holds out an arm or points to where the card is located.

I think both places are using AXESS for RFID lift access. Needless to say, not having to build RFID gates probably decreases the cost of moving to RFID. For sure that should address the concern that some lifties have that having RFID cards means fewer jobs.
They did that at Keystone, too, last time I was there (last yr).

marzNC

Angel Diva
They did that at Keystone, too, last time I was there (last yr).
That's different because Keystone is part of Vail Resorts and the Epic pass. The RFID system that VR developed over a decade ago was designed to work with gates or a hand scanner. Only VR resorts use that technology as I understand. It's a different frequency than what Axess uses.

Boyne Resorts worked with Axess to create the first dual frequency RFID system. That's what Boyne was rolling out in recent years to their resorts across N. America.

SkiData is an American RFID company that uses gates for ski lift access only as far as I know.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The current RFID gates at Tremblant are used by the ski school or on hill home owners. It's Axess brand. So it will be interesting. They didn't mention if it would gates or scanners. With the union, I suspect it will be the scanners.
I liked the hand scanning better than gates. With gates there are always people who get stuck for a little while because they can't get their pass to scan for whatever reason. With a person doing hand scanning, less likely that someone who doesn't scan quickly will hold up the movement of the lift line. Also seems easier for kids or people who don't have a jacket with an obvious pocket for an RFID card.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC. Ibeish ee had the handheld as the experience you describe is exactly the reason I miss the human scanners of paper tickets

SkiBam

Angel Diva

Except the picture with their email yesterday showed gates. Nevertheless, I too hope it's scanners.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC. Ibeish ee had the handheld as the experience you describe is exactly the reason I miss the human scanners of paper tickets
Having been going through RFID gates at Alta every year since 2008, I don't feel that much difference between having gates or hand scanners. I've had enough bored folks scanning who don't make eye contact or respond talk at all that I don't assume a scanner will be friendly enough to smile. Have also had experience with fun people who were stationed to help people get through the gates at a resort or checking the pictures on a tablet.

Having to pull out a card or deal with flipping around a paper ticket is a task I'm happy to avoid. Even Wolf Creek went to RFID this season. They installed gates on both sides for the Treasure lift so getting organized for the quad chair seemed to go smoother.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC I am all for RFID. I am really tired of the RFID crew staring at their screens instead of noticing when a whole family where one or two are not getting through end up holding the line up for so long that multiple chairs go empty on long lift line days. I love getting to keep my pass in my wallet in a secure pocket. That I do not miss with the old paper tickets one bit. Or the flapping around sound. I don't mind wearing an armband with my pass which some places allow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna