• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Montage closed this week...

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Due to tornado damage. In February. And we were so hoping this would be a great ski season after last year. :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow! The pics are pretty wild. Did you get an email? Couldn't find anything on their website. Perhaps because they don't have power.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
No, it's been on our local news. I skied with a lady this week who said she wanted to ski there, but was turned away. It's the worst damage they've had in 20 years. Crazy.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Pennsylvania - Poconos - near Scranton.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pennsylvania - Poconos - near Scranton.
Montage is of the few PA ski areas that can be seen from the Interstate highway. Unusual because the most difficult terrain is on the lower mountain. The base area is in the middle of the mountain. I haven't skied there but stopped by once when driving between NC and upstate NY.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Montage is a fun mountain to ski...one of my favorites in PA. @tinymoose and I have skied there a lot. The "north face" has some nice terrain.....a great bump run and a quite steep (and often mogulled) run that will challenge many skiers. I indicated where the base lodge is with the yellow arrow.

montage.jpg
Montage oftens build a "snow bar" outside, which is quite fun.....
IMG_3429.jpg

@Lmk92 , they *hope* to reopen on Friday if they can get power restored and repair the damage. This winter has not been a winter here at all. It is CRAZY. We are having another severe thunderstorm right now as I type this.

Attachments

• IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow. Thanks for all the info. It's so neat to hear of ski areas like this - may they survive!
After quite a few years of effort, there is a new small ski area in western PA. Laurel Mountain is run by the same company as Seven Springs and Hidden Valley. Private operator on state land. In central PA, Snowtime also owns a trio of small ski areas: Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop. Seems to be a business model that works for hills near densely populated areas.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Montage. LOVE. Probably my favorite mountain in PA. Love the wide open blue groomers on top, and the lower North Face area is just fabulous. Has the best bump run in Boomer and White Lightning is always a fun challenge.

newboots

Angel Diva
Tornado!

Ski areas certainly have their challenges, like the freeze-thaw thing here in the east. It must be a hard business to run.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tornado!

Ski areas certainly have their challenges, like the freeze-thaw thing here in the east. It must be a hard business to run.
Very unusual in the Poconos. An experience ski patroller said he's never seen anything like it in 20 years.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Very unusual in the Poconos. An experience ski patroller said he's never seen anything like it in 20 years.

This weather pattern is unlike anything I've ever experienced here. Sure, here, we get freeze-thaws, and often a few days of above-normal temps, usually in the 40's, and maybe close to 50, in February. But this year, we had about a WEEK of temperatures in the 70's. .Then, after 2 cold days, it's back up in the 60's with more thunderstorm activity. But a violent storm like the one that hit near Montage - in February - THAT is what is highly unusual.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Agree with @vanhoskier , this year in PA has been disturbingly abnormal. That storm that hit Montage was one of the worst T-storms I've ever seen, and I've lived in much more tornado-prone places than Pennsylvania. This morning we had to hold our students in class (as opposed to letting them walk from building to building) because of a severe lightning storm. On March first.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Agree with @vanhoskier , this year in PA has been disturbingly abnormal. That storm that hit Montage was one of the worst T-storms I've ever seen, and I've lived in much more tornado-prone places than Pennsylvania. This morning we had to hold our students in class (as opposed to letting them walk from building to building) because of a severe lightning storm. On March first.

Sorry to veer off topic, @SallyCat, but are you in Southern Lehigh SD, by any chance?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna