• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mont Bell U.L. Thermawrap Parka

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Product name: Mont Bell UL Thermawrap Parka
Description: Super lightweight synthetic insulated jacket
Uses: Anytime you need a very lightweight, but very warm outer jacket or mid-layer
Rating: Two thumbs WAAAAAY up! This jacket can do it all.

Ever since I started backcountry skiing I've been struggling to find the perfect layering system that wouldn't require me to pack a massive bag. I'm constantly taking layers on and off to regulate my warmth and sweat level, and I've struggled to find simple layers that do the trick.

I quickly discovered that most days, even if it's warm, a good insulating jacket is the key piece to have - on the ridgelines where the wind is always blowing, or when you stop to eat and your body temperature plummets. It's good to have something warm to throw on top of whatever you're wearing. For the past two years I've been using my North Face Nuptse down jacket and I've had two major complaints:

1) It's pretty bulky and takes up way too much room in my pack.
2) The goosedown cannot handle getting even remotely wet. I've had more than a couple snowy days that it just turned into a soggy rag.

So in comes the Mont Bell. Every issue I had with my previous jacket it took care of with flying colors! I've used it on three long tours now and here's a few of the highlights:

1) OMG this thing is light! It weighs 12 oz and it feels like wearing nothing more than a garbage sack. It packs down to about the size of a softball.
2) The warmth-to-weight ratio is outstanding! It's every bit as warm (or warmer) than my NF and it's so much thinner and lighter.
2) The built-in hood is very nice. While de-skinning on a ridge or eating lunch in the wind, pulling up the hood really helps cut down on the wind chill and keep me really comfortable.
3) The synthetic insulation and DWR coating on the outer shell has done a great job so far. We'll see how it does on the first day touring during a wet snow storm.
4) The hand-warming pockets really do work! I can put my bare hands in the pockets and get them warmed up in a matter of minutes.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with my purchase and I believe I've finally found the perfect piece for the application I was looking for.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Product name: Mont Bell UL Thermawrap Parka
Description: Super lightweight synthetic insulated jacket
Uses: Anytime you need a very lightweight, but very warm outer jacket or mid-layer
Rating: Two thumbs WAAAAAY up! This jacket can do it all.

Ever since I started backcountry skiing I've been struggling to find the perfect layering system that wouldn't require me to pack a massive bag. I'm constantly taking layers on and off to regulate my warmth and sweat level, and I've struggled to find simple layers that do the trick.

I quickly discovered that most days, even if it's warm, a good insulating jacket is the key piece to have - on the ridgelines where the wind is always blowing, or when you stop to eat and your body temperature plummets. It's good to have something warm to throw on top of whatever you're wearing. For the past two years I've been using my North Face Nuptse down jacket and I've had two major complaints:

1) It's pretty bulky and takes up way too much room in my pack.
2) The goosedown cannot handle getting even remotely wet. I've had more than a couple snowy days that it just turned into a soggy rag.

So in comes the Mont Bell. Every issue I had with my previous jacket it took care of with flying colors! I've used it on three long tours now and here's a few of the highlights:

1) OMG this thing is light! It weighs 12 oz and it feels like wearing nothing more than a garbage sack. It packs down to about the size of a softball.
2) The warmth-to-weight ratio is outstanding! It's every bit as warm (or warmer) than my NF and it's so much thinner and lighter.
2) The built-in hood is very nice. While de-skinning on a ridge or eating lunch in the wind, pulling up the hood really helps cut down on the wind chill and keep me really comfortable.
3) The synthetic insulation and DWR coating on the outer shell has done a great job so far. We'll see how it does on the first day touring during a wet snow storm.
4) The hand-warming pockets really do work! I can put my bare hands in the pockets and get them warmed up in a matter of minutes.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with my purchase and I believe I've finally found the perfect piece for the application I was looking for.

I am loving my insulated parka, first one in 20 years. It's so nice not to have to wear so many layers and pack so much crap! I broke down because I simply don't do very much backcountry skiing anymore since I had my daughter. I do think it gets warm by the time I am at the bottom of a run so I was worried about it being too much for hiking and skiing in, but maybe not...Glad to hear it may work. What are you wearing for layers when hiking, I am wearing a single layer on area in the cold weather, will definately be dropping that to a really thin capilene here in about a month, honestly don't know where to start for hiking though, I am worried about getting overwarm and then getting chilled.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually start off the day with a thin capilene top and midweight Icebreaker wool top. The wool seems to do very well over a large range of temperatures, so it's nice to have something breathable and warm on all day. I'll stuff my softshell and insulated jacket in my bag.

If I start getting really warm, I'll strip down to capilene, but most days in the teens or lower I never take off the wool layer. If the wind chill kicks up, I'll put on my softshell while skinning.

When I get to the top of a shot we're going to ski, I'll pull on at least my softshell and maybe the jacket if it's really cold. I tend not to ski down in the insulated jacket for the same reason you said - it just gets too warm.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting, my first day in my insul. jacket, it was around 0 and I went gung ho and wore a wool base, sythetic insul and a vest! I ended up taking the vest off by the time I got to the chair and have only once when it was double digits below zero worn the two layers again. I went to the regulator only and will probably be going to the wool base layer only in about a month. I think I am different though, I sleep with more blankets than you can imagine, but when I am outside moving, it doesn't take much for me to stay warm, I need to be more careful of when I stop. Still good to know, hiking/skinning in this may be an option, I think less layers for me though, I am weird I guess.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna