• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Maybe I am, inexplicably, a Volkl girl (Volkl Yumi review)

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I've always believed that our love affair with particular skis has to do with the way that ski's construction (shape, materials, etc.) jives (or not) with the particular ingrained body movements we make to initiate turns. No idea if that makes sense but it's my theory of my very own. :becky:

So it's very individual and that's why demoing is what it's all about.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty sure the Yumis he had were 160s . . . not sure though so you should call.

:smile:

:faint: Whoa! I'll double check with him, but that's crazy long for lil' ol' me. If not, maybe the Camelback Demo Day? I was sad to miss Dieter's demo day. I wish it had been on a weekend like last year. Gotta ration the vacation time. :(

mustski

Angel Diva
There is a lot to be said for a sold grip on ice for sure. I am also from the "long, straight ski era". Mine were 180. I, however, am thrilled with the new ski technology. I love the shaped skis and now I am totally hooked on rocker. BUT, serious ice is a rarity where I ski.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
“from whence we came.”
Ski #1 & #4 were K2. I feel like I wouldn't buy K2 again because looking back, skis #2 and #5 were so much better and more fun. But maybe it's a learning process, where K2 helped to get me to the next point, recognizing I needed something else.

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski #1 & #4 were K2. I feel like I wouldn't buy K2 again because looking back, skis #2 and #5 were so much better and more fun. But maybe it's a learning process, where K2 helped to get me to the next point, recognizing I needed something else.

These are my sentiments exactly. My first two pairs of skis were K2, and they were fine, but once I stepped on my Kenjas, it was a whole new feeling. Maybe I wouldn't have appreciated them as much had I not been on those first two pairs of skis?

mustski

Angel Diva
My first woman's ski was a K2. It was a chattery noodle. I avoided woman's skis for the next 10 years!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had the K2 sweet luv as my first ski, I really liked it until I advanced beyond the length I decided to go with, and it started chattering like crazy if I went too fast or was on anything icy. I haven't gone back to K2 since, not for any particular reason, I guess there are just so many choices out there!

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah... I hear the term "chattery" used a lot when people describe K2 skis.

I suppose my problem was that when I was looking to purchase my first pair of skis, I was told that K2 was the gold standard. So... that's what I purchased. I sort of assumed that the chattery, unstable-ness of those skis was the norm. Which is why my second pair of skis were also K2. Looking back on it now... that was clearly not the best choice for me.

Yeah, yeah, I know the rule now: demo, demo, demo. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never tried K2 skis because I've heard them described as heavy, which doesn't really appeal to me. But maybe I'll try some, if I can, at the upcoming demo day.

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never tried K2 skis because I've heard them described as heavy, which doesn't really appeal to me. But maybe I'll try some, if I can, at the upcoming demo day.

You should try them for fun, just to see what they're like! Some people really like them. I never really thought they were particularly heavy, they were actually quite maneuverable.... (dare I say even a little bit more so than my Kenja's) but they were extremely unstable at any sort of speed and had zero grip on ice, which is fairly important for skiing out east.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually really love my K2s (Superfrees) they're very lively and "turney". I don't find them heavy, I am starting to find their speed limit, but think they're getting a little short for me in 160, starting to look to upgrade to the next size up. Grip seems good to me, but then I live in CO.
All that beeing said feel is very different from Volkl, so good chance you won't like 'em...

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
My first skis were K2 Burning Luvs. The second pair were Auras then then that was pretty much it for the Burnin's - but they were good for me at the time!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yeah... I hear the term "chattery" used a lot when people describe K2 skis.

The high-end K2, such as the Burnin Luv (or is it now the Super Burnin?) and the Lotta Luv (I don't know what its equivalent is now) were NOT chattery....very, very stable, ran at high speeds and held a great edge. They were damp, and heavier than other types of skis, but they were great, advanced skis that would've been too much for a rank intermediate. In fact, my Lotta Luvs got sold to a GUY in Maine, who loves them!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The high-end K2, such as the Burnin Luv (or is it now the Super Burnin?) and the Lotta Luv (I don't know what its equivalent is now) were NOT chattery....very, very stable, ran at high speeds and held a great edge. They were damp, and heavier than other types of skis, but they were great, advanced skis that would've been too much for a rank intermediate. In fact, my Lotta Luvs got sold to a GUY in Maine, who loves them!
I agree, I think a lot if women get put on beginner/ intermediate k2s ( by stupid sales guys who think women are girls) which can be chattery. I've demoed the latest superstitious ( lotta love) and found them very stable, strong but not heavy-no chatter and I skied them very fast on hardback- I am a Kenja/Volkl owner/lover. I also like the K2 missdemeaner twin tip and the new bright something- (backcountry ski) k2 has lightened up the range while keeping stability.

You really have to compare apples with apples . ie the top of the line ski of each brand.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually really love my K2s (Superfrees) they're very lively and "turney". I don't find them heavy, I am starting to find their speed limit, but think they're getting a little short for me in 160, starting to look to upgrade to the next size up. Grip seems good to me, but then I live in CO.
All that beeing said feel is very different from Volkl, so good chance you won't like 'em...
My sister IL has this years superfrees, I told her not to go too short as they are rockered. But she's not good at taking advice and went for 155, she was starting to notice some chatter at the end of the season when skiing with me rather than her DH as she was skiing much faster when with me, I suggested she tried to flex them more aggressively and use more forward pressure to get maximum edge connection. (This can be a foreign concept to 1980's skiers) I think that helped. - however I believe she will out grow them by then end of next year- she has a daughter who would suit them and I'll push her hard to demo this time. I think she needed a longer ski. She tends to undersell herself to the salesperson.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the k2 = heavy reputation comes in part from the T9 line of skis (from last decade) being predominantly sold with system bindings. Moreover, most frontside carvers (classified by the manufacturer, not me) have burlier constructions in comparison to freeride skis. There's a bunch of women's skis from ~2005-2010 that are heavy: Volkls, Nordicas, K2s. But, having skied many skis of that vintage, I wouldn't say that I found any that were particularly chattery unless they were too soft or short.

Long way of saying, I don't think that K2 (or any other line for that matter) makes skis that are classified as "chattery." They're more likely the wrong length or stiffness.

Karlyboogy

Certified Ski Diva
I loved the K2 Superbrights at speed and they were very light actually! But at slower speeds they became squirrely and unstable (but I demoed them too short). But I did have fun on these, I liked the feel of them and would like to try the Remedy 102 some time, skinet says it has good hard snow integrity(?). K2 Rictor 90's were better at different speeds, but less playful.
Yumi, the same as others said, just regular, lacked some personality for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna