• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking to purchase a new ski and need advice. Is there such a thing as too much of a ski?

Simplerthebetter

Diva in Training
This is my first time posting. Thank you for letting me join this group.

I am in my mid-50s. I learned to ski on my own in college and enjoyed skiing with my children when they were young. I would describe myself as an intermediate skier who used to ski about 5-9 days annually. I feel comfortable with any frontside slopes in the Northeast, even though I don't always look pretty coming down.

However, I tore the meniscus root on my right knee and haven't skied in about five years. In the past, I sort of pushed myself (keeping up with my teens), but now, I would be just content being outdoors. taking it easy. I am 5'4" 145 lbs, average fitness level.

I used to ski K2 Burnin Luv 149mm but never really liked it. They are fine on groomers and on ice but I always felt like I have to put in extra effort to avoid tails catching snow on moguls and glades. I am looking for a fun all-mountain ski that will do well on groomers, ungroomed frontsides, some moguls, and some glades. I live in New England but plan to ski mostly in Colorado and occasionally in New England. Aren't I so lucky? -- My daughter moved to Boulder, CO so we are now doing our winter vacations in Colorado.

The ski store I visited had Elan Ripstick 94W black edition 146 & 154cm as well as Blizzard Sheeva 10 156cm on a really good deal (less than a seasonal demo rental). Would one of these be an appropriate choice for skier like me? Ripstick 94W black edition appears to be an 'advance to expert" level ski, and looking at the reviews, I almost feel like I would have more fun in just 94W.

Is there such a thing as too much ski? Will these skis be pretty forgiving for less skilled skier like me or will they impede my progress or enjoyment?

Your thoughts? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, there can be TOO much ski. Some skis are really stiff and some are noodles.

Buy the ski for the snow you are most likely to ski. The Diva mantra is to demo, demo and demo again. I too had no love for the Burnin Luv.

I know nothing about Elan skis, so can't help you. I know we have some Diva's on them.

One concern.....wide waisted skis on hardpack groomers (east conditions) are proving to be not knee friendly. I wouldn't look at anything over the 94 for sure.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Another Diva just posted a Ripstick 94 for sale here in 162 cm, which at your skill level might be the right length for you. (At 5'7" but heavier than you, I ski the Ripstick 88 in 172 cm. I like how light it is and find the 88 versatile to East Coast conditions.)

Simplerthebetter

Diva in Training
Yes, there can be TOO much ski. Some skis are really stiff and some are noodles.

Buy the ski for the snow you are most likely to ski. The Diva mantra is to demo, demo and demo again. I too had no love for the Burnin Luv.

I know nothing about Elan skis, so can't help you. I know we have some Diva's on them.

One concern.....wide waisted skis on hardpack groomers (east conditions) are proving to be not knee friendly. I wouldn't look at anything over the 94 for sure.
Thank you for your feed back about the wide skis not really being compatible with bad knees. I was concerned that it will take more effort with Sheeva 10 so I was glad to hear your comment. I considered 88 but my daughther did not love her Blizzard Black Pearl 88. They were just not as versatile on trees and powders days that she loves. Plus, she tells me the CO resorts often do not gloom even frontsides right after the fresh snow. She ended switching her demo to Nordica Santa Ana 98 and eventually ended up loving Unleased 98 W which I think would be too wide for me. And yes, we are looking to ski mostly out in CO and I should really demo first. Thank you.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I made the mistake when I was a newer skier of buying skis that were too much for me. I had the weight to handle them but not the skill. One ski in particular I loved but sold it to get an easier ski for me. I ended up buying original ski again years later and loved, loved, loved it. I've been skiing now for 11 years so a lot changes in a few years. I don't always recommend skis because everyone is so different. Demo if you can. My best advice is to buy a ski that fits what and where you ski the most ie midwest, northeast, out west. Do you ski mostly ski groomed, ice, powder, etc? If you only plan to have one pair of skis I'd pick something that suits most of what you ski. If you are a newer skier I'd pick something on the narrowish side as it'll turn easy and be easy to maneuver. You can always buy a more advanced/wider ski as you progress.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have found the Volkl Blaze 86 to be a great ski in the East and West the last couple of seasons. I love skiing bumps and trees and have taken them in up to a foot of fresh snow in the West as well without issue. They are quite good on ice as well.

Next year's Santa Ana 87 might be a nice one to try too.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The ski store I visited had Elan Ripstick 94W black edition 146 & 154cm as well as Blizzard Sheeva 10 156cm on a really good deal (less than a seasonal demo rental). Would one of these be an appropriate choice for skier like me? Ripstick 94W black edition appears to be an 'advance to expert" level ski, and looking at the reviews, I almost feel like I would have more fun in just 94W.
Ski taste is so personal so definitely demo.

With your specs you may want to rule out the 140s, especially in a ski with rocker like the Ripstick. I have the regular 94W as my touring ski, but have not been on the black edition so cannot speak to how it differs. My 94W has a surfy tip and a pretty flat tail; I find other skis in this waist width suit my tastes better, but it is lightweight and serves the purpose I use it for.

Sheeva 9: such fun with an easy going attitude. I feel the 9 vs the 10 may better suit you

Blaze 86W: many of us have an enjoy this ski both in the east and when we travel west

Santa Ana: I have the 93 and it is a great jack of all trades. The new lineup is something to look at when released.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga