• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking to buy, thought Santa Ana 88 was it but....

xkissmekatex

Diva in Training
Hello all, sorry if this is in the wrong location!

Background/ Stats
I am 45 yrs old, 5feet 8inches ( 172.72 cm), 120lbs (54.4kg)
Ski 2-3 times per year in Utah/ Colorado (4-6 days at a time)
Been skiing for 6years, never had a lesson, I am pretty athletic (rollerblading for 27yrs/aggressive)
I ski blue/ easy black, mostly without issue (I don't find insanely steep verticles "fun", prefer a mix of steep then somewhat flat, etc.; likely bc I need a break due to health issues), don't mind if I go fast, no interest in moguls unless they come across my path, not really interested in the tree's too much
Health issue: I do have MS and would say my depth perception isn't the best hence my noninterest in moguls/ trees, so unlikely I will ever want to master these.
I just came back from vail; loved it, it's like skiing alone, those bowels and some front runs are so wide, I felt super comfortable
Prefer to make long wide turns vs short quick moves.
No idea what I would call myself in terms of skill, I just like to get out there and have fun :smile: Intermediate / somewhat aggressive (not sure what that even means to be honest), more cautious when it is narrow or super verticle

I own and rent; am looking to add a general all-mountain and need your help :smile:

Skis I own
The first pair of skis I bought in a 153: K2 SuperBurnin (2014) https://www.skimag.com/gear/k2-superburnin-2014
I find them a bit short now and I don't like them if I hit crud or actual snow. Love them on hardpack!
I would describe them as zippy, stable unless there is a ton of crud or a big snowbank in my way, can get on edge super easy especially in ice and hardpack and get good speed despite being a bit short for me. Wish they were longer
I then purchased Saffron 7 in 162 https://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Saffron-7-Womens-Skis/350617P,default,pd.html
Love them in snow, could go longer now that I am better. No complaints unless it is hardpack
I feel that they are light, stable and super easy to edge unless icy. Love how they float

My problem.
Both of those skis to me at least are so snow/ condition-specific
Maybe it is bad luck, but I am never in Utah or Colorado when it snows, nor is it Wisconsin icy (where I live) so I end up demoing all-mountain a lot.
I dislike not having my own "all-mountain", relying on whatever is available at the shops, so am looking to purchase something in-between

Ski's I do not like
Black pearl 88. I tried them multiple years, different lengths. I find them slow/ sluggish and I actually don't edge the greatest. I really don't like them for whatever reason.
I tried the Rossignol Temptation one year and also found them equally unimpressive: https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/rossignol-temptation-84-womens
In vail this year I demoed Santa Ana 93. I was not a fan. They were slow, I couldn't edge as much as I wanted. Felt unstable. I just wasn't a fan overall.

Ski's I liked a lot
Loved Kenja in a 166 in 2015 https://www.skis.com/Volkl-Kenja-Womens-Skis-2015/362661P,default,pd.html
I remember them as smooth, stable, fast. I want to kick myself for not buying them that year.
I tried 2016 https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/volkl-kenja-womens-2016 and for whatever reason didn't like them as much.
Loved the men's Bhrama 88 this year https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/bli...TsheOtbCuX3Un4EsKtxuvx0BEo2vFdlhoCi7sQAvD_BwE
They are a bit too heavy/ tiring maybe for 6-8hours of skiing, but they are smooth, plow through anything, I felt super stable on them, no problem edging
I loved the Santa Ana in 88 last week in Vail, but only was able to demo 153. I wanted to try the 165.
I was ready to buy, but my only complaint is when I am really going fast and hit too much crud or a large snowdrift that is a bit icy, I felt a bit unstable, or even like I was going to be bucked off. I was thinking maybe this was due to the shorter length than I wanted, but have read a few reviews saying they are not the greatest in crud. Sigh. I thought I had found my ski.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am really looking for in a ski?
Thank you so much in advance,

Katie

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and Welcome.. So many great skis.. I hope you get to demo..
Atomic makes some nice skis. the Vantage series in different widths are very smooth skis.

Blizzard; since you liked the Bhrama I'd suggest some of the other models, the ladies model usually has less metal in them so more playful. The latest BP has Metal in the ski, very different from prior versions, skis more like a Volkl to me. The Volkl Secrets are NICE skis--

Yes too short you over power the ski and get the tip chatter, at your height 153 seems very short.
I have Renoun Z-90's my 1 ski quiver when I go west.
I just demo'd some 2021 Salomons they were 76under foot but they were so solid feeling and a lot of forgiveness.

It Sounds like you are on the right path! Let us know what you liked and didn't like!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm no help with the skis, being too new at the sport. But my contribution is - glad to have you!

:brr::ski3::welcome::ski3::brr:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have a chance to get on the SA 88 again, I say go even longer. I’m 5’4” and ski it in a 165. My other pair of skis (Atomic Vantage x 80 cti) is 160.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you favor a stiffer ski, @xkissmekatex . The Kenja is pretty beefy. You may want to also try the Stockli Stormrider 85 Motion https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-stockli-stormrider-85-motion/ . I found them fairly similar. The Head Kore 93 has gotten great reviews too, but I've only demo'd it in less than great conditions in the east, and don't know how it would perform out west https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-head-kore-93/ . Good luck with your search!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello all, sorry if this is in the wrong location!

Background/ Stats
I am 45 yrs old, 5feet 8inches ( 172.72 cm), 120lbs (54.4kg)
Ski 2-3 times per year in Utah/ Colorado (4-6 days at a time)
Been skiing for 6years, never had a lesson, I am pretty athletic (rollerblading for 27yrs/aggressive)
I ski blue/ easy black, mostly without issue (I don't find insanely steep verticles "fun", prefer a mix of steep then somewhat flat, etc.; likely bc I need a break due to health issues), don't mind if I go fast, no interest in moguls unless they come across my path, not really interested in the tree's too much
Health issue: I do have MS and would say my depth perception isn't the best hence my noninterest in moguls/ trees, so unlikely I will ever want to master these.
I just came back from vail; loved it, it's like skiing alone, those bowels and some front runs are so wide, I felt super comfortable
Prefer to make long wide turns vs short quick moves.
No idea what I would call myself in terms of skill, I just like to get out there and have fun :smile: Intermediate / somewhat aggressive (not sure what that even means to be honest), more cautious when it is narrow or super verticle

I own and rent; am looking to add a general all-mountain and need your help :smile:

Skis I own
The first pair of skis I bought in a 153: K2 SuperBurnin (2014) https://www.skimag.com/gear/k2-superburnin-2014
I find them a bit short now and I don't like them if I hit crud or actual snow. Love them on hardpack!
I would describe them as zippy, stable unless there is a ton of crud or a big snowbank in my way, can get on edge super easy especially in ice and hardpack and get good speed despite being a bit short for me. Wish they were longer
I then purchased Saffron 7 in 162 https://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Saffron-7-Womens-Skis/350617P,default,pd.html
Love them in snow, could go longer now that I am better. No complaints unless it is hardpack
I feel that they are light, stable and super easy to edge unless icy. Love how they float

My problem.
Both of those skis to me at least are so snow/ condition-specific
Maybe it is bad luck, but I am never in Utah or Colorado when it snows, nor is it Wisconsin icy (where I live) so I end up demoing all-mountain a lot.
I dislike not having my own "all-mountain", relying on whatever is available at the shops, so am looking to purchase something in-between

Ski's I do not like
Black pearl 88. I tried them multiple years, different lengths. I find them slow/ sluggish and I actually don't edge the greatest. I really don't like them for whatever reason.
I tried the Rossignol Temptation one year and also found them equally unimpressive: https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/rossignol-temptation-84-womens
In vail this year I demoed Santa Ana 93. I was not a fan. They were slow, I couldn't edge as much as I wanted. Felt unstable. I just wasn't a fan overall.

Ski's I liked a lot
Loved Kenja in a 166 in 2015 https://www.skis.com/Volkl-Kenja-Womens-Skis-2015/362661P,default,pd.html
I remember them as smooth, stable, fast. I want to kick myself for not buying them that year.
I tried 2016 https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/volkl-kenja-womens-2016 and for whatever reason didn't like them as much.
Loved the men's Bhrama 88 this year https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/bli...TsheOtbCuX3Un4EsKtxuvx0BEo2vFdlhoCi7sQAvD_BwE
They are a bit too heavy/ tiring maybe for 6-8hours of skiing, but they are smooth, plow through anything, I felt super stable on them, no problem edging
I loved the Santa Ana in 88 last week in Vail, but only was able to demo 153. I wanted to try the 165.
I was ready to buy, but my only complaint is when I am really going fast and hit too much crud or a large snowdrift that is a bit icy, I felt a bit unstable, or even like I was going to be bucked off. I was thinking maybe this was due to the shorter length than I wanted, but have read a few reviews saying they are not the greatest in crud. Sigh. I thought I had found my ski.

Thank you so much in advance,

Katie

So, that is woefully short for you in that ski, but I am confused because they are offered in a 151 or 158, and a 151 would probably feel like a skate ski for you :becky:. Even a 165 could be considered a tad short for you BUT it will be much more stable. That being said, I bolded above because you're going to feel unstable in that kind of snow on any ski, but some skis will definitely handle it better than others. I'm an unabashed HUGE fan of the Santa Ana 88, and have skied mine well over 100 days since last season and even after testing out several other brands last winter and this, they are STILL my favorite skis. Whomever says they are not great in crud is not skiing the crud I am skiing--I think they ROCK in crud, better than any ski I've ever owned, including the 2016 Kenja. I skied them in coral reef covered by two inches of cream cheese in flat light this past weekend and they were unflappable. I like that they can slow down in the crud and make short turns, or I can hit the gas on them in it and make bigger turns and they're still smooth and stable. They lack the "carbon-y" feel that so many skis possess these days, too, which is not a feeling I care for and perhaps why you didn't like the Black Pearls.

If you have a chance to get on the SA 88 again, I say go even longer. I’m 5’4” and ski it in a 165. My other pair of skis (Atomic Vantage x 80 cti) is 160.
I concur. The 165 at times feels short to me, and I'm 5'5" and weigh 125. Most days, that length feels perfect but there are definitely times I wouldn't mind them longer.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant Describe carbon-y feel, pls.
Oh man, that's kind of a tough one! My husband is doing some extended testing on two pair of skis right now, and today he made the comment, "too much carbon!" LOL! It's just maybe an acquired feeling after skiing a lot of different models and brands over several seasons. Carbon, to ME, can sometimes feel less damp than wood and titanal, and just a bit "jittery" I guess. I don't know. There's something about a nice wood core with some titanal (and carbon in the right construction) that has a warmer feel to it, smooth and stable but still playful.

For example, I owned the BP 88 for two full seasons, carbon flipcore version, and it was a nice ski, I enjoyed the heck out of it, but it was not the nicest ride in crud. I got on a friend's pre-carbon flipcore pair last season while she tried my skis, and man were they nice!

xkissmekatex

Diva in Training
Whoops, typo (sorry!)! re: ski length
I skied the Santa Ana 88 in a 158; they felt short, sadly there wasn't a store with 165 to demo :(

Did you (or anyone reading this) get a chance to try Santa Ana 88 for 2021?
I really loved the 2020 model overall but wonder if I should wait to try 2021 or just buy now?

I am a bit nervous that with less metal for 2021, I will be disappointed (in stability and speed)
I completely agree with short/ long turn ability for 2020 model.
These skis were fantastic overall, as I type this, I think you convinced me to just buy this year in 165!

Thanks!!!!

xkissmekatex

Diva in Training
It sounds like you favor a stiffer ski, @xkissmekatex . The Kenja is pretty beefy. You may want to also try the Stockli Stormrider 85 Motion https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-stockli-stormrider-85-motion/ . I found them fairly similar. The Head Kore 93 has gotten great reviews too, but I've only demo'd it in less than great conditions in the east, and don't know how it would perform out west https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-head-kore-93/ . Good luck with your search!!

I think I do prefer a stiff ski
I haven't seen the Stockli available in a demo before, I will keep a lookout next season!
Thanks!

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant [Carbon, to ME, can sometimes feel less damp than wood and titanal, and just a bit "jittery" I guess. I don't know. There's something about a nice wood core with some titanal (and carbon in the right construction) that has a warmer feel to it, smooth and stable but still playful.]
Need to pay attention to carbon in ski construction when demoing. Wonder whether this was a factor that I didn't care for BP 88(19-20) in 152cm. They felt like sluggish planks attached to my feet, whereas Yumi (156 cm) with titanal bands were like fire responding to my input and still stable. I'm 5'1/113.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant [Carbon, to ME, can sometimes feel less damp than wood and titanal, and just a bit "jittery" I guess. I don't know. There's something about a nice wood core with some titanal (and carbon in the right construction) that has a warmer feel to it, smooth and stable but still playful.]
Need to pay attention to carbon in ski construction when demoing. Wonder whether this was a factor that I didn't care for BP 88(19-20) in 152cm. They felt like sluggish planks attached to my feet, whereas Yumi (156 cm) with titanal bands were like fire responding to my input and still stable. I'm 5'1/113.
It's worth paying attention to. Don't underestimate a poor tune, either. Or binding ramp angle, or boots and stance...so many variables!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoops, typo (sorry!)! re: ski length
I skied the Santa Ana 88 in a 158; they felt short, sadly there wasn't a store with 165 to demo :(

Did you (or anyone reading this) get a chance to try Santa Ana 88 for 2021?
I really loved the 2020 model overall but wonder if I should wait to try 2021 or just buy now?

I am a bit nervous that with less metal for 2021, I will be disappointed (in stability and speed)
I completely agree with short/ long turn ability for 2020 model.
These skis were fantastic overall, as I type this, I think you convinced me to just buy this year in 165!

Thanks!!!!
Oh, if you liked this year's just get them for sure. They'll be clearing out of retailers soon (our local shop already has stuff 30% off.)

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks to this site and pugski the first thing I look is the bindings. That day all skis I demoed had Tyrolia SLR 10. Right to so many variables!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks to this site and pugski the first thing I look is the bindings. That day all skis I demoed had Tyrolia SLR 10. Right to so many variables!
I had some Tyrolia Aattack 2 13s put on my Santa Anas which have more ramp than the Squires that I replaced, but were fine with my previous boots. Got my new junior race boots and had to shim the toes of the bindings because I felt like I was skiing on twinkle toes! I was suddenly hating my skis, but I knew it wasn't the skis. Even skis with bindings that are mounted more forward are not my favorites.

elemmac

Angel Diva

I would definitely try the Santa Ana 88 in a longer length, I wouldn’t hesitate at your size and ability to get into the low to mid 160s.

I’d also try this years Kenja if you liked the old (pre-2016) version, they’ve changed it up again and kind of brought it back to its roots, with a new, updated look and feel.

I’ll throw another one in for thought, the Armada Victa 87ti. It’s got the meat to charge, but you can relax on it and it’s not going to punish you. Definitely a fun ski.

Describe carbon-y feel, pls.

To piggyback on what @contesstant as already said, I'd echo the "dampness" of carbon (or rather lack of).

I'll add a bit of backstory to that: Structural layers surrounding the core of a ski are normally made up of carbon fiber, fiberglass or Titanal...or some combination of the three (or none at all).

- Carbon fiber is high strength and very low weight, but it lacks damping abilities (the ability to resist vibrations). The lack of damping is why high-end hockey sticks are made of carbon fiber...the player can get a better feel for the puck, because all vibrations are felt in their hands.

- Fiberglass has a slightly lower strength, higher weight and a better damping ability.

- Titanal has high strength, high weight and tends to have very good damping abilities.

Ski construction is a big science project of getting the best combination of material for your intended purpose...a lot of carbon fiber, you end up with a super low weight ski, but it's going to give you feedback when you ski it. This is fine for touring, but can be tiresome regularly skiing downhill. Or just a little carbon might reduce the weight and stiffen the ski, but not enough to change the dampness.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski construction is a big science project of getting the best combination of material for your intended purpose...a lot of carbon fiber, you end up with a super low weight ski, but it's going to give you feedback when you ski it. This is fine for touring, but can be tiresome regularly skiing downhill. Or just a little carbon might reduce the weight and stiffen the ski, but not enough to change the dampness.

Thanx for this, @elemmac. I think it helps explain why I can ski my heavier, stiffer Stockli Stormriders all day w/o overly fatiguing my legs. It is a very damp ski w/smooooth action. Whereas my BPs (82 & 88) don't get me as far along in the day 'cause I feel every chicken head and divot on the hill. The difference is very obvious on the corduroy on a very cold morning. To be scientific about it, the Stockli's go rrrrriiiiippp across the corduroy and the BPs go ratatatat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna