• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Looking at Blizzard Black Pearl 88s as replacements for Rockettes

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I'm currently 5'5", 124lbs, intermediate to barely advanced skier (blacks except for moguls can be fun), aged 58 (yikes!), and learned to ski about 25 years ago during my yearly 10 day skiing trip in the great American west (mostly Utah and Colorado). I've been skiing Salomon Rockette 90s length 161 for 5 years (specs 130 87 115). Thinking about replacing them with Blizzard Black Pearl 88s length 159 or 166 this season. I want to make sure that I choose the right length and that they'll ski pretty much as I expect them to (but, of course, I know that there is no guarantee).

The following reasons are why I'm considering new skis: 1) I'm an intermediate to advanced skier with cruddy knees and the Rockettes seem heavy to me with a long turn radius, especially when trying to move them around in powder and in trees; 2) I've always felt that I had to stay on top of the Rockettes and use a lot of energy to do so; 3) I'd like a quicker, more responsive ski the keeps me skiing longer, especially as those years creep up on me; 4) I have to accept whatever conditions exist at the time since I only get one ski trip a year, so I need a ski that performs decently all mountain (although I do love powder skiing with a bit of steeps thrown in); 5) the Rockettes have always seemed a bit chattery to me unless I'm on really soft snow. And I do like to go pretty fast when conditions are conducive.

Having said all of the above, I do love the way the Rockettes keep me on top of the snow and I've been able to ski them in everything from knee deep powder to hard ice.
So, thoughts on what to expect if I buy the Blizzards and what size should I buy? Since I live in the south, the only skis I can demo are water skis. ;-)

If I've made any mistakes in posting the above information and questions, please forgive my ignorance.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I haven't skied the Rockettes, but I do know the ski, was going to demo at Powder mt but thought they were heavy especially with demo bindings on them.

The "New" BP 88's really are all that the reviews say. Wonderful.. My Blizzard Rep told me I would 'lust' after them, I have, If I hadn't purchased another ski already I would have purchased the BP 88. They are a fantastic ski, every thing you have listed that you want the BP's will deliver. There is no tip chatter at speed. They carve very nicely, they are Fun! When they re-designed the ski they got it right! Since, you like trees, moguls I'd think you'd have a blast on the 159's Paging @contesstant She has the 'new' BP's. not sure of the size.

eclaire

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jumping in here to ask if there’s a difference between the 78’s from last year and the 88’s, with the exception of the top sheet? I’ve found the 78’s for $350 and the 88’s for $600. I’m inclined to go for the cheaper ski because my budget is super tight this year, but not if I’m missing something here in terms of performance.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jumping in here to ask if there’s a difference between the 78’s from last year and the 88’s, with the exception of the top sheet? I’ve found the 78’s for $350 and the 88’s for $600. I’m inclined to go for the cheaper ski because my budget is super tight this year, but not if I’m missing something here in terms of performance.
Have not heard of any technical changes to the BP78 or BP88 for 2019.

As for performance between the two, they are very different skis from my experience. I like the BP88 a lot. Liked the original Black Pearl enough to buy a pair (2011). I didn't like the Cheyenne (Massanutten demo day 2015) that evolved into the BP78. Vaguely remember that it was work and less responsive in general on a day with stellar conditions for the Mid-A when I liked the Rossi Temptation and Head Joy skis a lot. I demo'd the BP78 last Jan (Massanutten demo day 2018) and while it was okay, I much prefer other skis in that width category. YMMV.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm currently 5'5", 124lbs, intermediate to barely advanced skier (blacks except for moguls can be fun), aged 58 (yikes!), and learned to ski about 25 years ago during my yearly 10 day skiing trip in the great American west (mostly Utah and Colorado). I've been skiing Salomon Rockette 90s length 161 for 5 years (specs 130 87 115). Thinking about replacing them with Blizzard Black Pearl 88s length 159 or 166 this season. I want to make sure that I choose the right length and that they'll ski pretty much as I expect them to (but, of course, I know that there is no guarantee).

The following reasons are why I'm considering new skis: 1) I'm an intermediate to advanced skier with cruddy knees and the Rockettes seem heavy to me with a long turn radius, especially when trying to move them around in powder and in trees; 2) I've always felt that I had to stay on top of the Rockettes and use a lot of energy to do so; 3) I'd like a quicker, more responsive ski the keeps me skiing longer, especially as those years creep up on me; 4) I have to accept whatever conditions exist at the time since I only get one ski trip a year, so I need a ski that performs decently all mountain (although I do love powder skiing with a bit of steeps thrown in); 5) the Rockettes have always seemed a bit chattery to me unless I'm on really soft snow. And I do like to go pretty fast when conditions are conducive.
Although I'm a size or two smaller, you probably would be happy with the BP88 @159 given your terrain preferences for an all-mountain One Ski Quiver (OSQ). That's based on my experience on demo BP88s last winter at Taos. I thought I was getting the 152 but ended up on 145. Thought that would be too short since the all-mountain skis I own are 159 and I also have the original Black Pearl @159 and like that length for those skis. As it turned out, 145 for the 2018 BP88 was just fine. My Taos instructor thought they were the perfect length. Taos Ski Weeks are geared to learning how to ski bumps and steep trees very smoothly. One afternoon I took a couple groomer runs at pretty high speed keeping up with a friend who likes to ski fast and found the skis very stable. There weren't any tree runs open (low snow conditions) but I'm sure they would be good fun in trees with some powder.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@GaSkier : I know it's a drive from Georgia but there are free demo days at Sugar and Snowshoe. I live in central NC so I understand the problem of demo'ing locally. Haven't been, but I would expect Snowshoe to have all-mountain skis. There was quite a range of models at SugarFest in mid-Dec when I started looking for good skis about a dozen years ago. That's a demo day with brand reps who set up separate tents. Don't know what brands participate these days.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The BPs will feel lightyears easier to maneuver compared to the Rockettes. I am almost the exact same stats as you, and had the BP 88 in a 166 until last season, when I went to the 159 because I wanted better maneuverability.

I have quite a quiver of skis, have demoed and tested (for reviews) tons, and none of them make me smile quite as much as the BP 88s.

@eclaire, the 78 vs. the 88 are very different skis. I wasn't a fan of the 78s.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you everyone for your advice and the time you spent answering my post. :thumbsup:

And if anyone has any strong opinions on binding preference for these skis, I've love to hear it. I'm wandering a bit in wilderness regarding the latest in binding technology.

I now feel that my decision to purchase the BP88 159 is the right one (Christmas gift to myself, yea!). It's nice to have found a place for a gal to ask questions relating to athletic equipment and receive women specific advice and experiences with the equipment.

Wish I lived close enough to a ski hill to participate in demo days. I've come across only a few during my annual ski trips out west, but never had much luck with the skis available. Either length was wrong, only a few were available for women and already on the hill, or the reps had weird attitude and tried to push me into mens skis. Looks like the manufacturers are trying to do a better job, though, in developing good skis for women and making them more readily available for us to demo.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot size can determine what bindings we might recommend. Some bindings have higher heel pieces that are exacerbated by small boots (short BSLs.) I have Attack 11s on my BPs and Attack 13s on my Sheevas. The Attack bindings are solid choice and are fairly flat so aren't an issue with smaller boots. There are some good Salomon options out there, but after having Salomon bindings on my previous 2018 Black Pearls, I prefer the Attacks. I can't really explain why, I just like the feel better.

And congrats! They are fun, confidence-inspiring skis!!

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the replies, especially regarding the bindings. It will certainly help me decide on something appropriate. My boots are not especially short, but it's good to know that boot size matters if a binding has a higher heel piece (never knew about such a thing).

Now, I've just had a ski shop employee mention, upon learning that I do sometimes like to fly down slopes pretty fast when no powder or good non-groomed conditions are around (happens all too often during my annual ski trips), that I may be happier with the BPs in the 166. He said that they are almost the exact same length as the 161 length Rockettes I've been skiing. Huh? All because I headed into one of the only 2 ski shops in town. :doh: I'm not sure the guy knows what he's talking about, but then maybe I'm wrong (happens way all to often). He didn't happen to have a pair of the Black Pearl 88s in the 166 length, so I couldn't get a look at the length compared to my Rockettes. And he had the 159s, so kinda talked himself out of a sale. LOL!

Thoughts, anyone? I'm not a back country skier or a racer, so...now I'm confused again. :confused:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thoughts, anyone? I'm not a back country skier or a racer, so...now I'm confused again.
For what it's worth I was flying down groomers on the 145cm BP88s I demo'd at Taos last winter. I'm not a racer, but willing to go pretty fast under certain circumstances. They were completely stable, which was a surprise. My usual length for mid-80s skis is 159cm.

As for length, not all brands measure the same way. So it'a quite possible or skis that are marked as different lengths are actually the same. What really matters is the length of the part of the skis that are on the surface of the snow. That's one reason I can ski powder skis with a lot of tip and tail rocker that are almost 20cm longer than my carvers.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Similar height/weight as you. I'm familiar with both skis, liked the Rockettes "of yore." Demo'd both those lengths of BP last March - and was happier with the performance of the 166. Shop wasn't off in explaining that the 166 Black Pearl and 161 Rockette are actually similar lengths. Black Pearl does have some rocker, thus less contact length. I found the 159 to be a bit "squirrely." 166 was great, though. Just to add to your confusion? If so, sorry...

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Aha! Now I understand that the thing is the amount of ski in contact with the snow at different times and how rocker affects this. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. The guy at the ski shop just said "Length specs mean different things to different manufacturers.". Which didn't make a bit of sense to me. And maybe not even to him. Ha ha! Thanks again for the educational answers. I've certainly learned a lot since I found the forum and started exploring topics.

Still not positive on the length to purchase, though. Guess I could buy the longer length and if I didn't like the way they skied during my January trip, I could sell 'em as used after the trip and buy the 159s. Even if the ski is not quite the length that I feel most comfortable skiing, it'll still be a ski vacation and better than sitting at work. :ski2:

Is it hard to sell a good pair of skis used, I wonder, since I'd have to do it entirely online (not much of a market here)? And where does one do so?

Jilly

Staff member
Not those ones! Ebay, Craigs list, local supermarket bulletin board.....here in the Diva's only section.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I change my vote: Go with the 166's, the ski is very stable, you sound like you ski more advanced than intermediate, steeps, speed, bumps, these will help you be a better skier and they will serve you well for a long time. And worse case, Should you not like them they will sell quickly.
Bindings: just DON"T get Griffons. I have them on my 2014 Black Pearls I hate them, I have to 'stomp' on them to get in.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Appreciate the update regarding her recommendation by @nopoleskier on ski length as well as the warning on the Griffons. I can't imagine what a pain it is to try to stomp on the Griffon bindings in deep snow. Was thinking about Salomon bindings, since I've had good luck in the past or the Attack 11. My Rockettes have the Salomon STH12 bindings and I've been fairly happy with them (not sure if they're considered heavier bindings, though). Always have released properly when I've taken a tumble and performed well in deep snow. My usual DIN setting is 6 and I've never had them pre-release (even on small, unexpected airborne events). I previously used 7, but the ski shops always argue with me that based on weight and age, 4-6 is more appropriate. Gave up fighting with them a couple of years ago.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good Salomon binding to go with the BP88s?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Attacks get great reviews on here. I've been thinking of putting them on a pair of old Atomic Elysians that have heavy demo bindings. I have Look pivot 12's on my Z-90's they have to be lined up to get in them but I love the flex and I get to feel of the ski. My Atomic CLoud 11's came w/Atomic bindings. I do like ski companies like atomic that sell skis w/binding makes it so much easier!
I don't know anything about Salomon bindings..

As for DIN. at your height and weight 6 seems right for your skiing style (they are releasing when needed) I'd bet you'd have a unwanted release at 4! That's really low for aggressive skiing IMO. I weigh more than you I'm at 7-7.5 the chart says I should be a 8+ for my weight and type 3 skiing. I sign a form/release I want them at 7- 7.5 (even on demoing)

If they come off when they need too they are correct IMO. I Do Not Want a Pre Release!! YIKES I can't imagine flying and having one come off... that is a recipe for disaster and getting hurt.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Salomon Warden on one of my pairs and am happy with them. Very easy to get in them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My usual DIN setting is 6 and I've never had them pre-release (even on small, unexpected airborne events). I previously used 7, but the ski shops always argue with me that based on weight and age, 4-6 is more appropriate. Gave up fighting with them a couple of years ago.
I'm shorter and lighter than you are and a little older. The appropriate DIN from the tables was 5 when I was under 50 at Type II. After crossing the arbitrary age cutoff, I changed to Type III so that the calculated DIN still comes out at 5.

When I demo, I insist on DIN 5 even if that means signing a waiver. Usually not a big deal when I make it clear that I'm an advanced skier and demo frequently. Since I also know my BSL, I don't get questioned.

As for bindings, I put Look WTR 12 on my all-mountain demo skis that I bought from a shop in Taos a couple seasons ago. Always have trouble getting into Marker bindings at free demo days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna