• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking ahead to next year...a ski trip for my anniversary

djbmgbmom

Diva in Training
Now that I've just found this great site, I'm hoping for some input from all of you experienced ski divas. I'm hoping to plan a ski trip with my husband next year (without kids) for our 10 year anniversary. We live in NC, so we don't get to get out of the Southeast very often. We have skied in Winter Park twice and Park City/Deer Valley once. My husband has also been (without me) to Crested Butte, Big Bear and Mt. Snow. I'm a green to moderate blue skier, but my husband is better than me. His favorite skiing so far has been Deer Valley. We also like the ski town aspect of a ski trip - restaurants, apres ski, galleries, etc. Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whistler, BC!!

Plenty of terrain for all levels and the village is packed with bars (huge apres scene), restaurants, galleries and tons of non skiing activities such as ziptrek, snowmobile tours, sleigh rides (both horse and dog drawn) etc. Not to mention the newly opened Scandinavian style spa.....

djbmgbmom

Diva in Training
It's funny, after I posted this, Whistler popped into my head. You must have been reading my mind! I'm definitely going to look into it. Any resources on where to start planning a trip? BC is completely foreign to me. Thanks!

Christy

Angel Diva
One thing you might think about first is flights--is your trip long enough that you don't mind a connecting flight? Or is it more of a weekend, in which case, anything more than a non-stop would be a drag?

As for the ski town aspect, I like Whistler and Aspen best because you can park your car and walk to everything. With Aspen you'll take a shuttle to the slopes but it's free and easy, and the town is a neat historic town. Whistler has more at your fingertips but it's a resort development (still nice though).

djbmgbmom

Diva in Training
It will be more than a long weekend - I'm thinking 4 to 5 days at least. So, we can handle a connection. Even a trip to Utah involves a connection in the winter from here, unfortunately.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's funny, after I posted this, Whistler popped into my head. You must have been reading my mind! I'm definitely going to look into it. Any resources on where to start planning a trip? BC is completely foreign to me. Thanks!

you know, having never booked a holiday here myself, I have to say I don't know much about it at all! I'm sure you could get better advice from other divas on package deals etc.

any questions you have about accommodations, rentals, ski school, activities, restaurants etc I can answer :smile:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you want to cut down on transit time, Stowe (northern VT) has great skiing, and is an extremely cute town with good restaurants, etc.

Christy

Angel Diva
Hmm. If you only have 4 days Whistler might be a bit much. You might want to search Kayak for flights to get an idea of how long it will take you to get to Vancouver, then add a few hours to get your car or the shuttle and get up there. If that's going to blow your whole first day, something closer might be better.

Jilly

Staff member
Whistler is going to be full day of travel each way. But its a great place. SkiCan does packages with flight, bus, accomodation and lifts. They have gateways from the states too. We've been out 3 times with them and never had a problem that the rep couldn't fix!

SkiCan also does Banff/Lake Louise and the interior of BC - Fernie, KC etc.

Another thought for less travel - Porter from NYC to Tremblant! Or something similar to Quebec City and Mt Ste. Anne or Massif.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that I've just found this great site, I'm hoping for some input from all of you experienced ski divas. I'm hoping to plan a ski trip with my husband next year (without kids) for our 10 year anniversary. We live in NC, so we don't get to get out of the Southeast very often. We have skied in Winter Park twice and Park City/Deer Valley once. My husband has also been (without me) to Crested Butte, Big Bear and Mt. Snow. I'm a green to moderate blue skier, but my husband is better than me. His favorite skiing so far has been Deer Valley. We also like the ski town aspect of a ski trip - restaurants, apres ski, galleries, etc. Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

What month are you think of going? I really enjoyed north Tahoe last winter. Although flying to Reno or SLC is more expensive than Denver, being only an hour or less from the slopes balances things out. I fly out of Raleigh. Miss having a direct flight to SLC.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was a green/blue skier, I went with a friend to Keystone for a few days. As I recall, they had a TON of great green/blue terrain with relatively long trails.

We stayed nearby - had to drive maybe 10 miles each morning - but we also spent a day at Breckenridge and part of a day in a really cute town (Breckenridge?) that had bars, galleries, shops and so on.

Anyway, it's been almost 15 years - and we went just before Christmas so it wasn't too crowded, but I don't recall the drive from Denver as being too arduous...

More for you to think about. :decision:

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
I am a passholder at Mammoth and I have to say, it is a great mountain. Since it was bought a few years ago, a ton of restaurants and bars have opened up and you don't need to rent a car. The shuttle system is great and the mountain itself offers free shuttles to guests.

We fly right into Mammoth airport and never miss not having a car.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Yay that someone other than me suggested Mammoth!

However, I was going to suggest Breckenridge. Nice town, a huge variety of terrain, and the possibility of a day at Keystone or Vail for even more variety.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out of curiousity - where are the "typical" ports of entry to Mammoth? Where do people fly into?

Aside from that, I plan on having a long-distance relationship with Whistler. :smile: djbmgbmom, let me know if it's what you wind up choosing, as I've booked a couple weekend trips there this season and have a decent handle on how to score discounts. In general, you can book your entire trip (air, too) through the resort website. I don't know if it's cheaper to do it outside of that, or if there's more flexibility.

From the east coast, I've always found Utah to be particularly easy because the mountains are so close to the airport, and the cost of the ground shuttle is not prohibitive. And, there is often a ski free the day you arrive deal through the airlines. My favorite resort is Solitude, but admittedly, there's not much of a village there. Park City is a really good base camp because it's in an actual town, and the bus system is free and convenient. You can head to both the Canyons and Deer Valley via bus.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna