• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Long hair, helmets & skiing

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
Low pigtails, or preferably low pigtail braids. Much more comfortable for me than a regular low ponytail.

Post-skiing? I get cold in winter, so just wear a hat indoors :D
ya, i have been using low pigtail braids or a low ponytail the past couple of years but i'm not finding either to be as bulletproof as i want them to be >_< :smile:

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
On cold days I pull a low ponytail or braid through a small hole I cut at the nape of the neck of my balaclava. It keeps my hair from working its way to my mouth.

I wear a hat on those rare occasions when I worry about how it looks apres.
snipping a hole in the back for the ponytail is brilliant

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The bane of my life in winter, I got so sick of it I chopped mine off !!! Went for a short bob and had a whole season without long hair issues, growing it out now but will probs cut it off again this winter x

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The bane of my life in winter, I got so sick of it I chopped mine off !!! Went for a short bob and had a whole season without long hair issues, growing it out now but will probs cut it off again this winter x
Every winter I feel an odd temptation to do this!! Even when I tuck it all under a balaclava under my helmet, it still escapes and gets in my mouth etc. I otherwise like the length of my hair, but it is a real pain while skiing... I too have looked at those photos and videos of ladies skiing with their hair streaming loose in the wind and wondered how they do it!

Next winter I might try clipping all the front bits back with some flat hairclips or something. There must be a way to tame it!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have long hair with layers so my go-to is single or double French braids as they sit flat under my helmet and the layers tend not to slowly escape over the day, unlike with a ponytail. I often do a smaller braid or two to catch all the layers at the front so there's no flyaways. It makes my fringe look a bit odd when I take it out, but I've never had success with clips under a helmet as they either push on my head or slip out of place.

The number of braids kind of makes this sound like it should be complicated, but I've had long hair my whole life so 5 minutes of braiding on a ski day is fine. But of course it is slower than pulling it into a ponytail in a matter of seconds.

flyingsquirrel

Certified Ski Diva
+1 on double French braids and then tucked into a balaclava! I definitely get annoyed by the little hairs poking around my neck but get used to it pretty quickly

I have a lot of long layers and have tried just a single braid or ponytail but the loose hair flowing around ends up driving me crazy.

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I figured everyone else must have hair that doesn't escape as easily as mine from a ponytail. A braid isn't much help, I've found, and I'm not very adept with braiding my own hair.

Once it escapes, there is no way to fix it outdoors! Taking off the helmet, etc., recapturing my hair, and getting it all put together again requires a decent ladies' room with counter space. And then I get so hot with all that activity I need to unzip my jacket - pretty soon the ordeal is taking up valuable skiing time. Yet the hair-in-mouth phenomenon messes up valuable skiing time. I long to cut it all off again. But so many haircuts! Every six weeks! What's a woman to do? :snow:

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thumbs up for the headband solution! I always assumed it would make my helmet feel too tight, but I’m going to try this with one that’s thin/lightweight. I’m old enough to remember the days before helmets when we just wore the thick headbands in pretty patterns, all of which I still have

Ski_AnnA

Diva in Training
It feels like I've been trying different techniques for a lifetime. For my somewhat in between long to mid length hair, the only thing that seems able to prevent the hair to slowly make its way to my face (and usually my mouth) is a French braid. Reverse french braid works even better as it seems to tighten them up a bit more. Works nice for the après-ski as well since it ends up being a partially undone French braid that looks casually thrown around like this. If your hair has been freshly washed though...none of that works!

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I figured everyone else must have hair that doesn't escape as easily as mine from a ponytail. A braid isn't much help, I've found, and I'm not very adept with braiding my own hair.

Once it escapes, there is no way to fix it outdoors! Taking off the helmet, etc., recapturing my hair, and getting it all put together again requires a decent ladies' room with counter space. And then I get so hot with all that activity I need to unzip my jacket - pretty soon the ordeal is taking up valuable skiing time. Yet the hair-in-mouth phenomenon messes up valuable skiing time. I long to cut it all off again. But so many haircuts! Every six weeks! What's a woman to do? :snow:

For the folks whose hair escapes the pony tail, would a flipped pony tail help? It worked for my daughter back when she was a wild child in dance class. Like this.

1642124619532.jpeg

newboots

Angel Diva
I might need it color-coded like that one. I wonder how they do that? I'll look it up - YouTube is the klutz's friend!

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I might need it color-coded like that one. I wonder how they do that? I'll look it up - YouTube is the klutz's friend!
Well the color I can't help with. But you make a pony and then poke a hole or divide the hair slightly above the elastic and pull the ponytail through the hole. Conair sells a thing called a topsy tail that helps but I do it with my fingers easily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga