• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Lodging: SLC Ikon destinations Deer Vally, BCC & LCC

alison wong

Angel Diva
I have an Ikon pass and plan a ski safari trip to SLC 1st week of Jan, plan to ski Ikon destinations: Deer Valley, Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird.

Is there a central location where I can stay to avoid multiple check in/ out? I will get a rental car but want to have an option of taking bus if needed, It'd be good to stay near bus station.

Do I need 4WD? What about chains?

Thanks in advance for your input.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like fun! I'm headed to SLC the week before Christmas with my daughter. Now that she's in college, she'll be done with school by mid-Dec.

There are lots of VRBO/AirBnB options in SLC. Sugar House is a good neighborhood for either LCC/BCC or DV. The location that SkiSE folks stay at when they take the UTA Ski Bus is Midvale/Sandy. From there, it's a quick drive up LCC or BCC. I've stayed at the La Quinta in Midvale, which includes breakfast and has an indoor pool & hot tub. The Days Inn next door is the even less expensive option.

If you have 4WD, no need for chains. Quite honestly, if LCC requires 4WD, I wouldn't make the drive for a day of skiing. Would go to BCC or Deer Valley instead. Could that happen in early Jan? Yes, but not as likely as later in the season. SLC is a destination where reserving 4WD, but then changing to 2WD closer to the arrival date makes good sense. Or just going with 2WD and taking the bus as needed.

Exactly which week are you considering? Before or after Jan. 5?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks. It'd be Jan. 4 - 10.

I know Midvale / Sandy is good locaiton for LCC and BCC, but not sure how convenient it is to DV.

I'd prefer VRBO booking because I need a place w/ kitchen and has free cancellation.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks. It'd be Jan. 4 - 10.

I know Midvale / Sandy is good locaiton for LCC and BCC, but not sure how convenient it is to DV.

I'd prefer VRBO booking because I need a place w/ kitchen and has free cancellation.
Ah, that's the reason for starting to look for lodging in July. That first weekend will book up soon.

Driving around SLC is really pretty easy. Even rush hour traffic is not in the same league as DC. For a ski day, it's straight forward to avoid the worst of the rush hour. Unless you are thinking of skiing mostly at DV, I wouldn't pick the lodging location based on that drive. While there are people who take the bus from SLC to Park City because parking can be a pain during busy periods, if you arrive early at DV, there is a fair amount of free parking. The drive to DV doesn't involve mountain driving. It's mostly Interstate highway and flat road in a big valley. There is reason that lots of big hotels and condo complexes exist in Park City and DV, but not in LCC/BCC.

I've stayed in a VRBO house twice. The first time was in the Sugarhouse neighborhood. That's convenient to the airport and closer to Park City or Ogden. Jason was with me that week. We skied at Alta, Solitude, and Brighton, plus a day at Snowbasin. Had a couple other friends who flew in for just a long weekend, so being close the airport was convenient. It's a nice quiet neighborhood with local supermarkets and restaurants pretty close by. The second house was south of the center of the city. More restaurants. My group stuck with LCC/BCC skiing that trip.

Skiing at DV the first weekend would probably make the most sense. But need to reserve a ticket from the special Ikon webpage well beforehand. They do max out day tickets during holiday periods. Note that if you make a reservation and don't pick up a ticket, it may still count.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about Sandee? Easy highway access.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sort of depends on how far you are willing to drive. As far as four wheel drive and/or chains, for Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons you can take the bus up. First you don’t have to deal with parking at the resorts. Second you don’t have to get a more expensive car. The valley doesn’t get so much snow. Third the people who drive those buses are amazing at handling the conditions! I rode to Brighton with a driver that had over 100,000 accident free miles! And the road was tight enough in places to have me white knuckling it at dry road conditions! If you do want to drive, then you will want 4 wheel drive as the road conditions may require it by law on any given day.

You have four areas that are relatively close together. Only Deer Valley is really a point beyond. If the roads are dry it’s just a matter of time to get there. Again I might park outside the limits and take the free bus through Park city. But that’s a choice you could make. In really snowy conditions it can be an adventure, even with four wheel drive. The highway up and down as truck run off ramps so it is that steep in places.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What about Sandee? Easy highway access.
Do you mean Sandy? While it's a good location for LCC/BCC access, it has the feel of an area that was "the wrong side of the tracks." I wouldn't be that interested in staying there for an entire week. Especially if doing a solo trip. Since SLC rarely gets snow in the city, I'd rather drive a few more minutes and be in more of a residential neighborhood if going the VRBO/AirBnB route for lodging.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Sugar House is a good neighborhood
What about Sandee?
Interestingly, when I search on VRBO with Sugar House (or Midvale or Sandy), properties in the vicinity neighborhood also came up. These 3 all "blended together.

Thanks for the tip about Sandy, will focus my search on Sugar House neighborhood.

It sort of depends on how far you are willing to drive.
@Abbi : Thanks for the advice. I've been to Alta 3 times. All 3 times I took shuttle and stayed on site, never had to get a rental car. I have minimum knowledge about lodging in SLC.

I don't mind driving as long as the roads are good, i.e. highway, wide roads, cleared of snow... From what I was told, roads to DV are wide, state highways. So I don't mind driving a bit longer there.

I think what I may do is, get a 4WD, stay near the bus station, so I have the flexibility of driving vs taking bus. I don't like mountain driving, consider it as un-necessary stress and prefer to avoid if I can.

This is not a solo trip, I plan to take my nephew there. Originally, I promised him for a ski trip during his spring break in March. Then I found out I can't take time off during that week, so I am proposing this trip as a comprise. Plan to hit Alta first, because I want him take a lesson or two, DV maybe last stop? May ski Park City if he really wants.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think what I may do is, get a 4WD, stay near the bus station, so I have the flexibility of driving vs taking bus. I don't like mountain driving, consider it as un-necessary stress and prefer to avoid if I can.
If you know you aren't going to drive if there is snow on the road, rent a 2WD. Then drive to a UTA Ski Bus stop that's a bit farther out on days you need to take the bus. The reason to park farther away is that the bus will be relatively empty and you are more likely to be able to get a seat. Need to plan a bit to make sure to catch a bus back in the afternoon, but I'm sure you'll find out what works beforehand.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is not a solo trip, I plan to take my nephew there. Originally, I promised him for a ski trip during his spring break in March. Then I found out I can't take time off during that week, so I am proposing this trip as a comprise. Plan to hit Alta first, because I want him take a lesson or two, DV maybe last stop? May ski Park City if he really wants.
Ah, a trip with your nephew. Assuming the first ski day is Sun, 1/5, then Alta first should work. Most families will be heading home by then. I wouldn't leave DV for the last day though. Unless you don't want to leave open the possibility of going more than one day. From what you said about his skiing, I think he would like the groomers there quite a bit. Definitely would like the food.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That’s the week of the Physics of Quantum Electronics conference at Snowbird. DH is considering going this year.
Staying at Snowbird would work out well for you. Can always get a free ride to Alta if you want more mellow blues.

Have heard of plenty of medical conferences at ski resorts. First time for physicists. :smile:

alison wong

Angel Diva
If you know you aren't going to drive if there is snow on the road, rent a 2WD. Then drive to a UTA Ski Bus stop that's a bit farther out on days you need to take the bus.
Thanks for the advice, I have thought about all that. If i were going myself, I don't mind taking public transportation. But I am going w/ a kid.... who still prefers comfort and convenience, hauling ski gears and hop on / off buses may not fit his "vision" of ski trip. Can't be too harsh on him since he is still a kid (at least in my mind).

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have heard of plenty of medical conferences at ski resorts. First time for physicists. :smile:[/QUOTE]
Apparently they’ve been holding this conference there since 1978.

Yep, it does seem like a good conference to tag along to if he decides to go. And I have been wanting to check out this Alta place I’ve heard you mention

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the advice, I have thought about all that. If i were going myself, I don't mind taking public transportation. But I am going w/ a kid.... who still prefers comfort and convenience, hauling ski gears and hop on / off buses may not fit his "vision" of ski trip. Can't be too harsh on him since he is still a kid (at least in my mind).
With DV as an option, you can always head in that direction if there is any snow on the LCC/BCC roads. That said, I always rent 4WD for a ski trip.

Bill hates public transportation. So I'm spoiled because he always prefer to drive to the slopes and he provides the 4WD and snow driving expertise, if needed. That's why I tend to book lodging that isn't slopeside. Except for Alta Lodge. The only place we've taken the shuttle bus was for Aspen Highlands. And then he forgot something and had to ride back to get it out of the car.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna