• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Little help? Accommodation @ Breckenridge, CO.

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
Hello All,

I’ve been reading the posts with some amount of jealousy for awhile. But now I’m excited as I’m planning a Ski Trip of my own. A group of 10 my friends are heading from Australia to Colorado in April for a weeks worth of skiing. Yay! We’ve decided to stay in Breckenridge but I wondered if those in the know out there can help me out a little.

Can people please tell me which sites they’ve used to book holiday vacation rentals? I’ve found quite a few, but it would provide me some level of comfort knowing that someone else has successfully booked via a website before. (I’ve found VRBO quite useful and craigslist has a few links, but I’m always reluctant to book anything found within craigslist)

Also which area would be best for a group of 29-35 year olds who would like to ski in/ski out. We’re a mix of skiers. We have those comfortable on double black to intermediate skiers who dabble on black runs when in a group. I’ve read ski in homes on Peak 9 need expert/advanced level skiing from peak 10 to ski in. Can a developing intermediate realistically do these runs? Also other areas list Ski In/ Ski Out but after further reading they aren't true Ski In/ Ski Out rentals. It's all doing my head in a little.

Thanks for any help!

mlle nessa

Diva in Training
I was just in Breck last week. We stayed at Pine Ridge Condominiums right on Four 'O' Clock road. They were fully furnished and really great. They are definitely ski in, but we took the town's free bus to Snowflake lift up the road or the Beaver Run lift at the base of peak 9. Navigating from peak to peak is pretty easy at Breck, and can be done doing all blues & greens if that's what you need! I would recommend anything along Four O'Clock road and the closer to the Four O'Clock trail or Snowflake trail, the better.

Also, concerning peak 10 skill level. The blue/black runs are wide, not that steep, and definitely do-able for a developing intermediate in my opinion. I had a lot of fun on peak 10 and I would consider myself at the advanced intermediate to advanced level. Imperial Bowl/North Bowl, peak 7 trees, and the 6-Chair runs were a blast, too!

Lift tickets included Keystone, A-Basin, and Vail/Beaver Creek (2 days only on a 4 day pass) if you're interested in checking out other resorts in the area, too!

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the useful info!

One thing, do we need to tip the driver on the Free bus if we use it? I'm not 100% on all tipping customs. Better to ask now, instead of potentially insulting some one later.

mlle nessa

Diva in Training
Tipping the driver did not seem obligatory; my ski buddy and I did not tip them, nor did we see anyone else do so.

Here's the webpage with scedule links:
HTML:
https://www.townofbreckenridge.com/index.aspx?page=136

What a nice way to be brought directly to the lift without feeling exhausted from an uphill trek in boots that were not definitely not made for walkin'! :thumbsup:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with mlle nessa. I live in Sundowner (next door to Pine Ridge). If you are on the bus route - you will be fine. I prefer Peak 9 to Peak 8 as the gondola to Peak 8 has added extra skier traffic and I think Peak 9 is easier to navigate. When the mountain is crowded, avoid going to the base of Peak 8 and stay up on 6 Chair, T Bar, Imperial Chair, E Chair and you should be fine.

If you stay on Peak 10, you may need to drive to town so I think the Pine Ridge, Four O Clock Rd is great as you are only a couple of blocks from Main Street where there are many restaurants, bars, shops etc. Have a great vacation!

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks heaps mlle nessa!

Skier31 - Having a look around there seem to be some great deals for houses near Peak 7 on Lone Hand Way. 4 O'clock seems like the best choice, but the difference in properties is about $5000, and even divided thats some nice long dinners we could be having instead! We would be renting 3 4WD so driving isn't a problem. I have heard you can't park at Peak 7, would we have to go down to the base or to Peak 8 to park our cars?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're thinking of renting 4wd SUV's from a rental car company at Denver International check prices very carefully. A friend of mine rented an SUV last week, he was told over the phone that it was 4wd, when he picked it up it turned out the SUV was not 4wd and there would be a $200 upgrade to get one. Because he did not have the information in writing he was stuck paying the surcharge.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll love your trip here. Breckenridge is a mining town founded in 1859 and it still has the charm of the Wild West.

I don't know that area very well, but Lone Hand Road looks like you'll be on the backside of Peak 7. Probably a little isolated and out of the way. Potentially you'd end up driving into town and getting paid parking, then riding the Gondola up the hill (or catching a bus). Free parking is out at Airport Road, and you'd have to catch the shuttle to town and take the Gondola/Bus. No need to tip the driver - but if you take lessons you should tip the instructor (another ongoing thread). Tipping in the US is a higher % than Europe.

I don't know what Australian skiing is like, but in Europe we're used to staying in town very close to the skiing and nightlife and not using a car to get around. Therefore my preference would always be to be more central in order to enjoy the bars and see the local life (as opposed to being in a very quiet wooded area, beautiful and relaxing, but not quite the vacation I'd be looking for having come all this way).

If there are 10 of you it is a good idea to have a car - especially these fun enormous US vehicles which can fit all your friends and luggage easily. You can use it to get to the other resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper, Winter Park etc.), and you'll probably want to have a rest day and go see Denver, and maybe Buffalo Bill's grave on the way down the hill. But on the days you ski Breck you can rely on local transport if you are not too far out of the way.

4 o'clock is a great location, convenient for everything. Warriors Mark is not too bad either, easy walking distance to town. Also if there is anything in the Historic district (as denoted on the VRBO map) it will be in a great location. Budget is always the deciding factor I know. VRBO is a very reliable site. I'm on the south side of Town on Highway 9, just beyond the ice rink, and it's great for skiing, but a little bit of a walk home on a cold night ......

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know it isn't Breck, but friends of mine used VRBO four or five years in a row for Copper and had great places to stay. I stayed with them one year and the condo was fab.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point SG.

If being in downtown Breck within walking distance of the action is not a key decision point, look at places in Silverthorne, Frisco and Dillon - all towns that local skiers use as bases along the I70 corridor. Usually they are better priced. You can use the summit stage bus service from these places to transfer to the ski resorts. They are lovely towns with great shops, restaurants and bars. I think I'd rather be in these towns than tucked away on the back end of Breck. Frisco main street also has a charming wild west feel.

Copper and Keystone have good accommodation and transportation to the other resorts, in addition to being good ski resorts themselves.

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
If you're thinking of renting 4wd SUV's from a rental car company at Denver International check prices very carefully.

Ah - didn't think of that. I've just double checked with Hertz, I'm booked in for an AWD or 4WD. I'll bring the email with me just in case.

I don't know that area very well, but Lone Hand Road looks like you'll be on the backside of Peak 7. Probably a little isolated and out of the way. Potentially you'd end up driving into town and getting paid parking, then riding the Gondola up the hill (or catching a bus). Free parking is out at Airport Road, and you'd have to catch the shuttle to town and take the Gondola/Bus.

Hey Lila, Is driving to the base from Peak 7 easier / better than driving to peak 9 and parking the car there? I'd like to cut out the 10 min gondola ride if I could.

The on snow accommodation here in Aus is generally really expensive and limited. We usually stay 45 mins away from the ski fields and its the same when we go to NZ

For some of my friends this will be the 4th ski week in row, those guys are doing Japan, Whistler, Banff then Co, so I think they'll just want to chill and be homebodies for the last week.

I know it isn't Breck, but friends of mine used VRBO four or five years in a row for Copper and had great places to stay. I stayed with them one year and the condo was fab.

Thanks for seconding VRBO ScottishGirlie, makes me feel better for using the site!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga