• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lily 2.0 Awesome trail dog!

altagirl

Staff member
That video is what made DH want a JRT.

Of course, now he's impatient and is kind of disappointed that she isn't off leash trustworthy yet for more than short periods of time. Needless to say, DH is NOT the dog trainer in the house. .. he seems to think a good dog just naturally "gets" fetching and heeling. I think he forgets that none of our other dogs were naturals, they are good because of the hundreds of hours that I put in. Selective memory. ..

mustski

Angel Diva
It's like that in our house too. I do all the early - first year - training and then DH takes over and thinks he's a genius dog trainer!

altagirl

Staff member
It's like that in our house too. I do all the early - first year - training and then DH takes over and thinks he's a genius dog trainer!

Haha, boys. :smile: Mine doesn't really take over. He just says things like "I thought she was supposed to be smart?". Yeesh, give her some time!

We've only had our JRT for a few months and I think she's doing great, especially considering she was utterly out of control and just over a year old when we got her. She will do a down stay with treats balanced on her paws, and walks nicely on a leash. Occasionally I can get her to run at a heel dragging her leash behind her, but so far it only works for maybe a hundred yards at a time. When there is food involved, she's a master of recall (haha) and will sprint to me over and over again. When she knows I don't have anything, not so much yet... She finally fetches a ball and (usually) drops it on command (didn't get the idea of fetch at all for the first month or so)... She was super possessive of food and toys and I've broken her of that (no small feat since she had literally been starving before we got her). So I think we're doing great. DH still likes to compare her to our old lab. Shockingly, the couple months of training hasn't equalled what Moose learned over the 13 years he was with us. Weird how that works. :smile:
982b7a5d1aa533e04b269bad8656c2d1.jpg

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey AG, can I send Loki to you for a few hundred hours of remedial training? ;-)

altagirl

Staff member
Hey AG, can I send Loki to you for a few hundred hours of remedial training? ;-)

I was at an intersection with the dogs sitting on either side of me waiting for the signal to change, and a cop pulled over, rolled his window down and basically said the same thing. "Man, I wish you'd train my dogs to do that..." Haha. Made my day.

And yet they both still have plenty to learn! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna