• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Lessons?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, so I've probably looked like a gaper :doh: the last three years having not taken any lessons. My only lessons were 20-some odd years ago where I was taught how to stop and turn in a wedge. My plan is to finally invest in some lessons this upcoming year! :clap: So I'm looking for some advice...

Would you takes lessons at...

a.) local small mountain that is less than a half hour from home. mostly green trails, even their harder terrain is pretty flat
b.) slightly larger mountain with harder terrain, but still a small mountain, about an hour from home
c.) go to the "big" mountain, relatively speaking, that has moguls and quite a few steep diamonds, but is the farthest away at 1.5 hrs.

I'm confused about what would be best, because while I'm sure the local hill could dissect my self-taught technique all day long on their greens, I'd like for them to see me on steeper stuff as well... :confused:

Also, would you spring for some privates or start with a few group lessons? I'm thinking a few privates so they can pick apart my technique?

My skill level: solid intermediate (I think?) that can ski pretty much everything at our local mountains, albeit not pretty, but I'm always in control and can stop at will, even on the steepest pitches. I can somewhat carve on shallower ground, and mostly skid turn on the steeper stuff. My mogul abilities are :ROTF:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would go to wherever has the best snow conditions. It'll likely be where the ski instructor hiring is more competitive and better. You're best off with a private, and the general consensus here is to request a PSIA-III instructor -- which can be trickier to find at smaller ski areas. I would also try to get that lesson in early in the season, so if it turns out that the local conditions are crummy early on and you wind up doing your first days of the season up in VT, I would take a private up there. FWIW, a good instructor can tell based on how someone skis on easier terrain how he or she will hold up on steeper terrain. For instance, what you're doing that is noticeable as a skid on steeper terrain shows up on flatter terrain, too. It's just not as noticeably skid-like because it's flat. :smile:

Just my 2 cents.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would go to wherever has the best snow conditions. It'll likely be where the ski instructor hiring is more competitive and better. You're best off with a private, and the general consensus here is to request a PSIA-III instructor -- which can be trickier to find at smaller ski areas. I would also try to get that lesson in early in the season, so if it turns out that the local conditions are crummy early on and you wind up doing your first days of the season up in VT, I would take a private up there. FWIW, a good instructor can tell based on how someone skis on easier terrain how he or she will hold up on steeper terrain. For instance, what you're doing that is noticeable as a skid on steeper terrain shows up on flatter terrain, too. It's just not as noticeably skid-like because it's flat. :smile:

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that a good instructor will be able to watch your skiing on an easy run and give you tips that will help you overall. You personally may feel frustrated if you're taking lessons on easy slopes, but if you just go with it and can take your ego out of it (something I have trouble doing), you can learn a lot.

While private lessons are nice, you can learn a lot from a group lesson - especially if you haven't taken a lesson in 20 years and didn't take lessons past wedging. Group lessons are a lot cheaper, of course. I would be leery of shelling out for a private lesson if I didn't already know the instructor; I've had some personality / teaching style mismatches. Maybe I'm just prickly =)

Jilly

Staff member
Privates are great. We instructors like them too, but they can be $$$

I would first look for a group clinic. Something that runs for 6-8 weeks. At Tremblant we have "Elle ski". It's a Saturday all day lesson and lunch running for 8 weeks. You get to meet some neat people. (wish I could committ to this group, but not up every weekend)

I also teach at a smaller hill here in Ontario. That group is called "Ladies Night". It's a 5 week program with 2 hours lessons every Wednesday night. Again you meet some great people. But the terrain is limited to intermediate only.

You don't say where you are located. We have many Diva's that are instructors in many resorts around the world even!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Agree with those who recommend a group lesson on green runs (for starters anyway). This is something I've had to drum into my own head, but you can learn as much or more with a good lesson on greens than trying steeper stuff before the basics are mastered. (And keep practising on those greens afterwards.)

I would, however, ask what certification the instructor has. Here in Canada, where we have four levels, I would advise people to ask for at least a level 2 and if you're above intermediate level, a level 3. In the U.S., maybe ask for a level 2? You might even watch some instructors in action before you sign up – and ask others for recommendations.

Good luck with the learning. And, remember, it should be fun!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you haven't taken lessons, I suggest you start with a group or clinic. There may be a lot of basic corrections that you'll get (and hear related to others' skiing) at a much cheaper cost.

In addition to Jilly's suggestion of a multi-week clinic, another option is a multi-day clinic. Some places run weekend clinics specifically for women. I researched this for east coast locations about 3 years ago. Okemo is one that comes to mind and has been recommended. I believe Elk had some kind of program too. I'll try to dig up that info and post a few items. When you reach the required number of posts (25, is it?) and can send/receive private messages, I'll forward you the list, if you like. The info will be dated, but might be a decent starting point.

To respond to your question, though ... generally speaking, the value of your lessons will come from the instructor, not from the terrain. But tiny mountains may not draw the type of instructor you want or need. You may want to talk to the ski school at each place you are considering and ask about the instructors -- how many they have, how many are certified at Level 2, how many are certified at Level 3 -- about their group lessons, about any clinics they offer, etc. There is not a right or wrong answer to any specific question but you will get an idea of how robust their training programs are.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice, ladies! I appreciate it.

I live in the Philly area, so Blue Mountain and Bear Creek would probably be my closest options for clinics. I'll have to look into weekend things, since weeknights could be tricky to make after work, without having to take off work early for 6-8 weeks straight. That's one other reason I was leaning towards privates, since you schedule them when it's good for you.

Vickie - I'll definitely take you up on that list once I hit 25 posts. I'm trying to get there sooner rather than later. :smile:

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in the Philly area, so Blue Mountain and Bear Creek would probably be my closest options for clinics.

I took some privates up at Blue Knob (had different instructors each time) and I had a good experience with those folks. And the privates are priced very well, $50 for an hour.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Privates can be good, but for them to be great, there has to be a good dynamic between you and the instructor. That's nearly as important as the coach's certification level. (In my experience, certification is less important at a big hill than at a small one. I've worked in all kinds of settings -- at the larger mountains, a ot of really good people eschew PSIA certification, on principle. At smaller ones, where training is often less productive, PSIA certified coaches tend to seek out more enhanced training opportunities.)

I think a group lesson not only can be a great learning opportunity, but it also can be a great way to determine who'd be a good instructor for you. There's nothing worse then shelling out $120 for 90 minutes with someone you can't "mesh" with. If you like the coach you "drew" from line-up, then take privates from him or her. If you don't like the coach, take another group lesson with someone else.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I've skied a lot at both Blue Mountain and Bear Creek, and have taken lessons at both areas. Your best bet will be Bear Creek because:

a) it is less busy than Blue, even on weekends
b) the ski school staff at Bear Creek is excellent (OK, maybe I'm biased about this because I work there, but I'm familiar with both ski schools and how they are run, and I really respect Bear Creek's system. The director of development, who trains all the instructors, is excellent, very well instructed, and he works the instructors hard with a lot of clinics, etc. Before work, we take a morning clinic before the lifts open, every day).
c) Even though Bear Creek is smaller, with less vertical, believe me, you can really develop skills for challenging terrain there, with the help of a good instructor. This is where I learned the tactics to handle very steep terrain...I did not learn these tactics well at Blue. Sasquatch is pretty darn steep and often not groomed, so is ideal for that kind of stuff.
d) Snow conditions are generally better at Bear Creek...a lot less icy.

If you take a private lesson during the week, ask for Mary. She's fabulous, and a lot of fun. She's helped me develop tremendously. Sometimes she works weekends. Eileen and Mandy are other great women instructors who work weekends and do privates. Bear Creek also has a weekend women's clinic that is awesome, and you will pretty much have private instruction.

Good luck!!!! Let us know! Send me a pm if you head to Bear Creek; I live only 15 minutes away from there. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
vanhoskier - I suppose you're not familiar with Spring Mountain's ski school are you? They're a bit closer to me than Bear Creek, 30 min. vs about an hour to Bear Creek. I was eyeing up Bear Creek's women's weekend clinics online yesterday. They look like they might be a good option for me. Glad to hear you've had such good experiences there! I generally try to avoid Blue at all costs on the weekend, except for Sunday nights. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
I'd agree that it comes down to the instructor more than the terrain. While it's nice to have them understand where you feel like you're having the most trouble, usually it's going to come back down to fundamentals, which can be worked on almost anywhere, and are a lot easier to work on on terrain that you are very comfortable on, not somewhere that you're distracted by the terrain.

It's always tempting to want to get instruction on the challenging stuff - it's more fun and you feel like you accomplished something. But working on the fundamentals with someone who really knows what they are doing will take you a lot farther. So if you can find recomendations on a specific instructor who is really great, it might be worth trying to work with them regardless of where they are teaching.

SkiW

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the advice, ladies! I appreciate it.

I live in the Philly area, so Blue Mountain and Bear Creek would probably be my closest options for clinics. I'll have to look into weekend things, since weeknights could be tricky to make after work, without having to take off work early for 6-8 weeks straight. That's one other reason I was leaning towards privates, since you schedule them when it's good for you.

Vickie - I'll definitely take you up on that list once I hit 25 posts. I'm trying to get there sooner rather than later. :smile:

hi Tinymoose,
if you look at https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12233 you could follow a link to my website and find details of 5 resorts in PA that offer lessons/programs/clinics for women. Dates for next winter yet to be confirmed .....

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, SkiW! It looks like both Elk and Bear Creek have good weekend options. I'll keep an eye out for their 2011/2012 schedules.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Tinymoose,
If you have access to a program/clinic that meets weekly, I highly recommend that approach. I did this last year and the sheer volume of skiing was really helpful not to mention exposure to different trails and challenges. Private lessons are very helpful but also expensive. So, clinics can be very helpful and are much less expensive. When you feel like its time for one/one attention, I would try to get a recommendation by word of mouth. I agree with the others; technical skill may separate out instructors to some degree but much more so is the ability to know how to explain so that the student understands (not an easy task). The more experienced the instructor, usually the more quickly they can diagnose what's going wrong and how to get those points across to you!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
vanhoskier - I suppose you're not familiar with Spring Mountain's ski school are you? They're a bit closer to me than Bear Creek, 30 min. vs about an hour to Bear Creek. I was eyeing up Bear Creek's women's weekend clinics online yesterday. They look like they might be a good option for me. Glad to hear you've had such good experiences there! I generally try to avoid Blue at all costs on the weekend, except for Sunday nights. :smile:

I haven't been to Spring Mtn simply because Bear Creek is so close, but I could be convinced to go if there are Divas there. :smile:

I too avoid Blue Mountain on weekends, even on Sunday nights. I used to be the advisor for my high school's ski club, and we skied there Sunday afternoon/nights. It got really icy. I saw too many Med-Evac helicopters land at the base of the mountain on Sundays to pick up injured skiers/riders! :eek:

I'd rather spend the extra hour in the car to get to Elk than ski at Blue.

Skylark84

Diva in Training
I'm a colorado skier so I have no idea which resorts in the Philly area would be best, but I would recommend going to a resort that has terrain that will challenge you. Having an instructor there to coach you while facing challenges will be the most beneficial.

I have had a lot of success in group lessons, especially if you are able to go up on a week day of a non-holiday week. On week days the mountain is not as crowded and fewer people sign up for lessons. I even ended up with a private lesson at the group rate once. Regardless the groups are usually much smaller on week days.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi tinymoose,
I found that Liberty Mountain also had classes on Saturday mornings in January/February. No idea if this would be any closer for you ....

Eh, Liberty would be quite a bit farther for me. More like 2.5 hours. For that I could haul up to Elk! :D Thanks for the idea, though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna