• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lesson Rant

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is more for me to rant than anything.

After talking with the bootfitter I decided to take a lesson today to see what my problem is so that I can see if it really is a boot problem. I usually enjoy taking lessons. I am a slow skier but can link turns on all blues and easier blacks. I was given the option to take a beginner course or intermediate...of course I went intermediate. There were four of us and two of us were at the same level. We were both clear on our ability levels and what we wanted out of the class. One person in the class was a little lower than us ability wise and there was one person who was barely linking turns on blues and kept wedging. I don't expect a group lesson to have everyone at the same level and I have been in lessons where I am the lowest level skier. However, I would at least think the ski school would attempt to pair up like levels within the "intermediate" level. There were plenty of instructors and the ski school director even took us off an instructor and placed us with this other group. I am used to taking lessons where we are paired up by the 1-8 ability level.
In the lesson, we started on the magic carpet, went to the green run and then did a few on the easiest blues. The lesson was focused on what the younger skier needed with a focus on linking big turns. I can pole plant and was reverted to the hold your hands out front thing. I wish I could afford a private as that would have been ideal but money has been tight so this lesson was a HUGE splurge for me. I am dissapointed that not only did I get nothing out of my lesson, I wasted a morning of skiing since I only had my son in half day ski school. My son has a lesson pass so at least that did not cost me anything.

Thanks for the rant!

Christy

Angel Diva
If I were you I'd write them a letter and ask for another lesson for free. Tell them exactly what you told us (huge splurge, magic carpet in an intermediate class for god's sake, etc) and ask specifically to be comped. It's worth a shot. I've been in group lessons and never had that kind of spread in abilities.

altagirl

Staff member
I'd go talk to the ski school about it. Hopefully they can offer you something to make up for it.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, and you just made me feel way better about buying the 5-for-4 pack private lesson pack at Stevens. (Okay, actually my husband bought it for me for an early birthday present, but it was a splurge nonetheless).

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yup, another vote for talking to them. You were clear about your expectations for a class and they did not even come close.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I would definitely write a letter or ask to speak with the ski school supervisor about your lesson! :mad2: It is really not fair to saddle you with a lesson in which you and your classmates are not closely matched in ability levels. I have taught many a "group" private lesson because the abilities of the skiers at the intermediate level were so diverse. Intermediate covers a big ability range and all skill levels there are not created equal. It is the supervisors job to see that the customer was satisfied with the quality of the lesson given. When you get down to it we are selling a product (our knowledge and ability to share it)called the ski lesson. If the product doesn't meet with your expectaions, or meet your standards then you should let the supervisor know about it. When I attend a PSIA event I am asked to fill out an evaluation form on the clinician, and the quality of the clinic. If I didn't enjoy the clinic or find the clinician particularly knowledgeble I give a negative evaluation. On the other hand if the clinic was good I give a great evaluation andd remember to tip! Lol! Clinics and lessons are expensive you should come out of them feeling like you got your money's worth from them. They should get you stoked up about your skiing not leave you feeling Jipped!!!!

abc

Banned
Sounds like the instructor was also not too good at dealing with different levels. Usually good instructors are able to teach different skills to different students on the same slope. Not every student has to do the same drill on the whole class!

You've got good advice to talk or write to the ski school. If you're local, I'd say go TALK to them!

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with Perma-grin. Talk to the ski school. You got nothing for your money. Trust me they will do something. Bad word of mouth is not a good thing. Customer service is one of the most important things to a snow school and a resort.

Mention the name of the instructor too! This may not be the first time this has happened with this instructor. Some can't handle a large diverse group. More experienced ones can!

Yes, Perma-grin has the right idea. This same experience happened to my daughter at Stratton and they gave me a credit voucher for another group lesson on another day, without any hassle or guilt-tripping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna