• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lenz heated socks

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Did anyone had terrible experience with Lenz Heated socks, Slimfit, version?
I wore them about less than 14 times for 2 to 3 hours at a time when I noticed that both the heal area produced super thin areas.
I contacted Lenz, but they blames me for my ski boots to be too tight. Huh?
I have some thin merino wool ski socks that I have been using for several years without any thinning problems. They will not exchange for me. Anyone else had this problem?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Did anyone had terrible experience with Lenz Heated socks, Slimfit, version?
I wore them about less than 14 times for 2 to 3 hours at a time when I noticed that both the heal area produced super thin areas.
I contacted Lenz, but they blames me for my ski boots to be too tight. Huh?
I have some thin merino wool ski socks that I have been using for several years without any thinning problems. They will not exchange for me. Anyone else had this problem?
Is that the 6.0 version? My boot fitter wants me try to get them for next year. Of course I am in between the sizes. I told him I was going to get Hotronic boot heaters and he said I should get the socks instead. I would hope with the socks costing as much as a pair of boots that they would hold up 5 years! Oh and have great customer service

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Is that the 6.0 version? My boot fitter wants me try to get them for next year. Of course I am in between the sizes. I told him I was going to get Hotronic boot heaters and he said I should get the socks instead. I would hope with the socks costing as much as a pair of boots that they would hold up 5 years! Oh and have great customer service
No, they are 5.0.
I would not buy ANY of their products.
If you have a problem, they will not take care of it. They had a nerve to blame me for their horrible product.
I would buy the Hotronics heated insoles. I have them. They work and have not had any problems for years. My boot fitter recommends it also. He hates the Lenz Heated socks. Good luck.

newboots

Angel Diva
Never had any problems with my Hotronics. They lasted for 4-5 years, then the batteries needed replacing. I never tried heated socks, but I've read of others having trouble with the seams and the wires requiring boot modifications to be comfortable.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Never had any problems with my Hotronics. They lasted for 4-5 years, then the batteries needed replacing. I never tried heated socks, but I've read of others having trouble with the seams and the wires requiring boot modifications to be comfortable.
Me, too. They are a solid product.
I would not reccoment heated socks.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
No, they are 5.0.
I would not buy ANY of their products.
If you have a problem, they will not take care of it. They had a nerve to blame me for their horrible product.
I would buy the Hotronics heated insoles. I have them. They work and have not had any problems for years. My boot fitter recommends it also. He hates the Lenz Heated socks. Good luck.
I know he works for me, but I don't want him to not work with me. Ugh

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Can't any part be easy.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was pretty close to treating myself to a pair of Lenz socks - your experience with customer service has made me reconsider. At that price you'd think they'd be falling over themselves to fix the problem. I've had good experiences with other manufacturers; for example Mammut - an avy shovel handle broke after about 3 years and they offered to replace it, even though it was well out of warranty and cost a fraction of the price of those socks!

So will look at hotronics then.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Good choice.
I am beyond disgusted with Lenz.
Between my boyfriend and me, we bought 2 full sets and 2 pairs of extra socks. It was nearly $1000. Contacting them to let them know that my two socks made thin areas in the heals went no where. Like I mentioned, they blamed me for the problem. I have MANY Smartwool socks that I have been wearing for 8 years or so in skiing without ANY problem. So, how it that my fault? I have only noticed that there were thin spots in the heals in about 2 weeks after wearing them, but who knows when they started!
I am trying to share my experience with as many people as possible because I think that their business policy totally socks.

Attachments

• 20220111_075606.jpg
    20220111_075606.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 19

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Good choice.
Between my boyfriend and me, we bought 2 full sets and 2 pairs of extra socks. It was nearly $1000. Contacting them to let them know that my two socks made thin areas in the heals went no where. Like I mentioned, they blamed me for the problem. I have MANY Smartwool socks that I have been wearing for 8 years or so in skiing without ANY problem. So, how it that my fault? I have only noticed that there were thin spots in the heals in about 2 weeks after wearing them, but who knows when they started!
I am trying to share my experience with as many people as possible because I think that their business policy totally socks.
Sucks** Lol.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
You need a new boot fitter if he punishes you because you do not agree with him.
You should have an options. Something like this, he cannot tell you what to do all the time.
Very true, but I have few options. I am sure I will still need my boots stretched in the toe next year again. I wear a 10.5 and 11 Narrow show and am in a 25.5 boot. My bf and I both cringed when he insisted I size down (Yes I know a tighter fit is better-but I'm a recreational skier). I will give him a lot of credit though as he shell fitted me numerous times versus the last "Master" fitter who did not. We live in CT and he is in Ludlow, VT...so not a quick trip. No one wants to really work on "someone" else's boots. Next year I believe we are buying Ikon-so Killington/Stratton will be our mountains. I mean he probably wont refuse-but has told me numerous times to buy the Lenz 6.0 socks and last week his co-worker also reiterated that point!
He was talking about canting next year too...not sure about that. Thanks good luck and YES that is bogus for Lenz.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
If you have to continue altering your boots that much, you are not in the correct boots for you. You need to find a boot fitter who has more options for you to begin with. Boots are everything. BS about no boot filler wants to work on another person's boots. Took me awhile to find great boots for myself. Another thing to think about is those stock liners that come with boots. They are junk. Good luck.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
If you have to continue altering your boots that much, you are not in the correct boots for you. You need to find a boot fitter who has more options for you to begin with. Boots are everything. BS about no boot filler wants to work on another person's boots. Took me awhile to find great boots for myself. Another thing to think about is those stock liners that come with boots. They are junk. Good luck.
I am not exactly saying that....but you are correct 100%. My boots are awesome but hurt to "walk" if my heel is in the pocket-its fine to ski but my buckles need to be tight=hard to walk.
I have a skinny long high arched foot. These have been the best boots yet but they are a bit short so they have had work on them-which sadly makes them colder. I won't ski next year without some type of "heat". The neoprene boot covers and hand warmers do almost nothing.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
hey,
I have the Lenz 4.0 -- I just got them early this season. the socks are thick. I have followed the instructions and so far so good. I have been wearing them nearly everyday because it's been really cold here in Vermont up until recently. I will wear them again today.

They were recommended to me by a friend who has had them for years and swears by them. I believe she got them in 2016-2017 and I saw it on her in 2019, she still uses them this season and she says they are going strong. The key is to use the interval for an entire day out. The app makes it easy to use so you don't have to fiddle with it to turn it on/off or change how much heat.

My sister bought me a gift certificate so I could apply it to the purchase and they were 15% off and I paid the rest. Yes they're not cheap, but I think many others recommend Lenz as well.

I know Hottronics were a little iffy back in 2019 or so, but have since gotten a lot better. A lot of the instructors here have them for their boots and love them. There are some that have both the hottronics and the lenz. I'm seeing heated gloves as well.

@skinnyfootskis There's a reason that boot fitters size down, my bootfitter explained it to me they can make more room in a smaller boot, but if they put you in a larger boot there's almost nothing they can do for you. I wear a size 8 running shoe (size 7.5 regular shoe) and I'm in 23.5 mondo boots. I have a 24.5 alpine touring boot and he asked me if I do replace it, to get the 23.5. He has worked on both downhill and alpine touring boot (which was fitted to me 4 years ago by someone else) and my feet have never been happier. It sounds like you don't trust your bootfitter though. If he is charging for all the tweaks you keep going back for, I would not trust him. But if they fit you once and do not charge for each time you come in to get them adjusted -- then going back often is normal for a lot of people.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
hey,
I have the Lenz 4.0 -- I just got them early this season. the socks are thick. I have followed the instructions and so far so good. I have been wearing them nearly everyday because it's been really cold here in Vermont up until recently. I will wear them again today.

They were recommended to me by a friend who has had them for years and swears by them. I believe she got them in 2016-2017 and I saw it on her in 2019, she still uses them this season and she says they are going strong. The key is to use the interval for an entire day out. The app makes it easy to use so you don't have to fiddle with it to turn it on/off or change how much heat.

My sister bought me a gift certificate so I could apply it to the purchase and they were 15% off and I paid the rest. Yes they're not cheap, but I think many others recommend Lenz as well.

I know Hottronics were a little iffy back in 2019 or so, but have since gotten a lot better. A lot of the instructors here have them for their boots and love them. There are some that have both the hottronics and the lenz. I'm seeing heated gloves as well.

@skinnyfootskis There's a reason that boot fitters size down, my bootfitter explained it to me they can make more room in a smaller boot, but if they put you in a larger boot there's almost nothing they can do for you. I wear a size 8 running shoe (size 7.5 regular shoe) and I'm in 23.5 mondo boots. I have a 24.5 alpine touring boot and he asked me if I do replace it, to get the 23.5. He has worked on both downhill and alpine touring boot (which was fitted to me 4 years ago by someone else) and my feet have never been happier. It sounds like you don't trust your bootfitter though. If he is charging for all the tweaks you keep going back for, I would not trust him. But if they fit you once and do not charge for each time you come in to get them adjusted -- then going back often is normal for a lot of people.
I do trust him a lot. He has put hours into these boots and has only charged me a pittance. He knows that if he had them in stock I would have purchased from him. The fittings would have been part of the purchase. My Booster strap costs more!
My worry is to spend $400 on socks versus hotronics……

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.23.06 PM.png
@Mudgirl630, holes in socks in the heel like this usually result from rubbing between the heel of the foot and the back of the boot or shoe.

I've had socks develop this kind of wear in non-skiing shoes many times over the years. Some socks degrade faster than others. It's been my experience that 100% wool socks wear faster than other kinds, but that's an impression on my part and doesn't reflect any kind of systematic recording of which socks did what over the years. Some are just more sensitive to rubbing.

Have you figured out when your heel might be rubbing against the back of the boot? Is there any chance your heel repeatedly rubbed up and down or sideways against the back of the boot, either when you put your foot in, or while you were skiing? Sometimes heels move a little bit up and down in the boots and the skier doesn't feel the movement. If the rubbing was timy but was persistently repeated, that could have done it. Same thing for sideways movement of the heel inside the boot. Maybe it could have happened when you booted up or when you took the boots off if the boots are very hard to force onto and off your foot.

Or your skiing technique might have changed. Have you been doing hop turns? Or you got new boots or aftermarket liners that fit differently from in the past.

The socks would not have developed a hole if rubbing did not happen in that spot. Perhaps if you can figure out when the rubbing happens and why, you can find a way to eliminate the rubbing in order to protect all your ski socks in the future.

What do you think?

Last edited:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you know that the Lenz socks are mostly polyester? That could explain the horrible wear.

I have used Hotronics for the last 12 seasons. I broke a wire 7 years ago and had it replaced by my boot fitter. I'm still on my first set of batteries. I turn on the boot heaters when I take the boots out of the bag in the lodge and by the time I'm dressed and ready, the boots are soft and warm.

Jilly

Staff member
I had my foot into a pair of Rossi boots that had a heated liner. So basically the whole toe cap is wired and heated. I'm sure there must other companies doing this. Didn't look at the price. My foot is sample size for ski boots, so I get to try on a few when the rep's come calling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna