• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Legs…so sore!

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
We are on our 5th day of skiing at Jackson Hole. The 2nd day here I skied in a group lesson from 10-3. All the other days I can only ski from 9-12:30ish before I need to call it quits. And I’m in good shape! Please tell me I’m not the only one whose legs turn to jelly after a few hours? Maybe it’s because I’m used to east coast skiing in Vermont. Or because I’m in my third season of skiing? Or because double blues here are like blacks out east. I dunno. All I know is it feels like a lot of work pushing all that snow around.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is a lot of work in heavier snow!! You don’t often use those muscles in that combo. And the altitude makes it slower work for your muscles to bounce back (scientific phrasing, I know ). I feel it in Park City every year after skiing a bunch out East. I try to control my alcohol intake and drink lots of water but sore is sore :smile:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on the area you usually ski, getting used to higher altitude, longer slopes, and working in some heavy snow conditions can totally wear you out. I know when my husband and I made our first trip to Utah, from Washington, DC, we skied from 9 and then took a break, we were tired after several runs and needed to take a break. We figured it was lunch time based on how tired we were, but it was only 10:30 LOL

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sore or tired? If really sore, I would wonder if the snow and/or steepness is making you ski a little backseated and/or if you are rushing your turns a bit if in 3d snow? Signed someone who has managed to kill my legs more times than I care to count after a few runs in heavy snow.. lol. Over time I have found that I don’t really get sore usually like I used to. My legs do get tired with lots of steep bumps though. Oh and Theragun usage before and after skiing and hot tub time can help a ton too.

Christy

Angel Diva
Powder days can be really tiring! And skiing many more hours than you usually do can be really tiring. But Missyski makes a good point as well.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Sore or tired? If really sore, I would wonder if the snow and/or steepness is making you ski a little backseated and/or if you are rushing your turns a bit if in 3d snow? Signed someone who has managed to kill my legs more times than I care to count after a few runs in heavy snow.. lol. Over time I have found that I don’t really get sore usually like I used to. My legs do get tired with lots of steep bumps though. Oh and Theragun usage before and after skiing and hot tub time can help a ton too.
There’s definitely a lot of rushed turns. that’s the main thing I work on…sometimes the steepness just gets me and pointing my skis down the fall line to make a rounded turn freaks me out! So I think it’s definitely a combo of back seat and rushing. Found the hot tub at the condo complex we are staying at and it’s been a lifesaver! Plus if you finish early in the day you get first dibs on the hot tub before all the bros show up.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Depending on the area you usually ski, getting used to higher altitude, longer slopes, and working in some heavy snow conditions can totally wear you out. I know when my husband and I made our first trip to Utah, from Washington, DC, we skied from 9 and then took a break, we were tired after several runs and needed to take a break. We figured it was lunch time based on how tired we were, but it was only 10:30 LOL
Yes same! We stopped for lunch at 11. I think part of is that my husband is an expert and doesn’t stop for breaks except to eat lunch. I just need to advocate for myself more.

Jesski

Certified Ski Diva
It's not just you! I am 46 and have been pretty athletic most of my adult life (running marathons, triathlons, getting back into skiing, road cycling etc.) and this last trip we took to Colorado from NY after not skiing for a year had me beat! We did four days in a row and my legs were completely jelly to the point that I had trouble on the 2nd and 3rd days already skiing trails that should have been easier for me. Just couldn't get my legs to cooperate. I hate to think its an age thing...but I do think we have to do more to maintain (let alone increase) our muscular/aerobic fitness as we age than when we were younger (along with all the other health issues that tend to creep up in our forties and beyond).

Ski63

Diva in Training
It's not just you! I am 46 and have been pretty athletic most of my adult life (running marathons, triathlons, getting back into skiing, road cycling etc.) and this last trip we took to Colorado from NY after not skiing for a year had me beat! We did four days in a row and my legs were completely jelly to the point that I had trouble on the 2nd and 3rd days already skiing trails that should have been easier for me. Just couldn't get my legs to cooperate. I hate to think its an age thing...but I do think we have to do more to maintain (let alone increase) our muscular/aerobic fitness as we age than when we were younger (along with all the other health issues that tend to creep up in our forties and beyond).
Oh man , I can relate to sore quads and one very painful calf especially after going from Eastern Canada( Mont Tremblant) to Utah( Alta & Snowbird) . I am 63 and wanting to continue to ski for many more years. We don’t tend to do partial days especially when paying big bucks in Utah( hadn’t planned on the trip and didn’t purchase the Icon pass unfortunately) It seems that sking multiple days( and not in a row) is what helps prepare you physically for sking comfortably . I just purchased and waiting for delivery of a travel size 18“ Original Massage Stick -self myofascial release muscle roller. I hope this helps !

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
We sound exactly alike…to the age! I don’t wanna believe it’s an age thing—I saw some older women tearing it up the last few days! Their turns are so smooth and slow and in control.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Oh man , I can relate to sore quads and one very painful calf especially after going from Eastern Canada( Mont Tremblant) to Utah( Alta & Snowbird) . I am 63 and wanting to continue to ski for many more years. We don’t tend to do partial days especially when paying big bucks in Utah( hadn’t planned on the trip and didn’t purchase the Icon pass unfortunately) It seems that sking multiple days( and not in a row) is what helps prepare you physically for sking comfortably . I just purchased and waiting for delivery of a travel size 18“ Original Massage Stick -self myofascial release muscle roller. I hope this helps !
Just used my sons Thera gun! Maybe that’ll do the trick!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna