• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Left leg is 7mm longer than right!

kirsje

Diva in Training
I have had trouble with my left ski/leg for the last few years, but this year was significantly worse. I found a sports medicine doctor that was a former doc for the Canadian ski team, yay! On my left side she found significant weakness in my glutes, limited ankle mobility, and super tight peroneal muscles. I also had super tight piriformis muscles, particularly on the right side. She sent me for a leg length discrepancy study and I just got the results - 7mm! I have been doing PT for three weeks and it has already made a huge difference in my skiing. I still feel weak on the left side, but can hold and inside edge properly now.

I will be fitted for custom orthotics with a 4mm lift on my right side to compensate. They don't go the full 7mm because it would be too much for my body to handle all at once. What I don't know, is how to level myself out for skiing. There is no earthly way a 4mm orthotic will fit in my SNUG intuition liners. I was so shocked I didn't even think to ask about what to do for skiing. Which is funny because trouble skiing was the whole reason I went to see her.... Anyway, anyone been through this? Or know if there is anything I can/should do? My shorter leg is the stronger more stable leg when I ski, so I'm not even sure I want to have a lift on that side. But if it will help even things out, then I would do it. I will be asking the PT that's going to analyze me for the orthotics on Wednesday, but I have no clue if he's ever dealt with skiers.

No wonder I could never run without injury! :doh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My lld is a bit more than 7mm ... and I have some done inside the boot, and some on the outside. I have plates on the bottom of my boots, and one is a few mm more than the other. Then the rest is done inside the boot, in the footbed.

By the way, I have separate orthotics for my boots and my other shoes. I would get the ski boot one done by a ski boot fitter. You don't want to put regular orthotics in your ski boots; it's better if they are posted. The boot fitter can grind away some of the material on the longer leg, as well, and then add a little to the shorter leg, so that the difference inside isn't as drastic.

callmijane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have different length legs too. I have custom orthotics for both boots and shoes, and one is thicker than the other, to compensate. But before I had the orthotics for the boots, I put a lift (just a little cork pad) in the shell, under the liner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna