• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Latest Single Track Adventure

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend we went to the grand opening of a new biking "skills park" at Cannonsburg Ski Area. This summer they put in 1 "easiest" loop, 2 "more difficult" loops, and 2+ "expert loops". Let's just say that even the "easiest" loop was almost more than I could handle :eek: - there was a big boulder between 2 trees with a ramp down the back side then a teeter-totter about 2 bike lengths after that. There was no way to make that stupid rock without going right over it.....I watched 3 other people skid off it into the tree before I just got off the bike and walked way off the trail and around. I did make the teeter though. We ended up spending much of the time just watching these guys - their bike skills were amazing!!!

We got a very few really crappy pics that will at least give you an idea (click pic for larger view)

The 15' drop ramp with me standing at the top (NO I didn't try it, but we watched 3 guys who did!)

The main "skills" junction:

This pic shows one of the ladder skinnies. You ride the top ladder, down the ladder drop, along the tree trunk, then jump off the end. Here's one of the psychos doing a front wheelie on it (this is Uncle Jimmy - he's 43!!):

The giant teeter totter (the down end is tall enough to stand under when it's up):

When we got all done spectating, we went to a different trail which is quickly becoming my fave. I've been clearing 1 new stunt every time we go there. This time it was this one (24" wide):

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More pics

Here's some pics that others took:

skinny.jpg

11354.jpg

11351.jpg

11355.jpg

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow volkgirl! For someone who just started mountain biking and single track this year . . . I wonder if I could ever aspire to those heights? Thanks for sharing your pics.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola, I can't speak for Volklgirl, but I can say that each thing I have done in the past 5 seasons of riding has shown me at least one more confidence builder, per season, that I had previously thought I'd not likely accomplish.

I rode the first season on paths that a road bike could almost do, then got used to distances like 20 or more miles.
By the end of the first year, I was doing intermediate single track riding, much like you described in your trip report.

It seems that each accomplishment starts with an "oh Shiiiiiiiiit!" and ends up with a "Whoooo hooooo! lets do that again!"

A lot of the things in the pics above are things that I would not feel comfortable doing at this point. :help:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a beginner mountain biker, I would have taken one look at the jump, and :jaw:

I am still getting used to single track, and enjoying it for now. Although, the downhill switchbacks are still a challenge for me.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a beginner mountain biker, I would have taken one look at the jump, and :jaw:

I am still getting used to single track, and enjoying it for now. Although, the downhill switchbacks are still a challenge for me.

I'm not a beginner, and I would have looked at that jump like ..... :jaw:

As for getting used to single track, you're exactly where you should be, for a first season enthusiast.

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, I'm not a beginner either, and I still don't like stuff like that! I'm all about fast, flowy stuff - roots and rocks and things that don't put me way up in the air.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm not a beginner either, and I still don't like stuff like that! I'm all about fast, flowy stuff - roots and rocks and things that don't put me way up in the air.

So glad to hear you say that!! We went to Deer Valley on Sunday and I borrowed Yentna's bike and Skiguide's armor/helmet. Even with all that gear, those stunts FREAK ME OUT! I like challenging myself on the trail stuff...roots, drops, switchbacks, rock gardens, etc. Anything that puts me that high in the air scares the crap out of me. I kept thinking, "Am I a wuss? Would Altagirl/Skiguide/UTSG/Yentna do this stuff?" In SG's case - yes. She's crazy. :D

On the same note....I think I'm finally convinced that downhilling can be fun! Yentna's Stab is so plush, and it was fun railing the corners and hitting the bigger stuff. The confidence boost was huge!!

Can't wait to hear about Whistler!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm soooo excited!!

After our little adventure at Cannonsburg, we went to Boyne Highlands ski area for some lift served riding. It wasn't quite as exciting as AG's Whistler riding, but it was awesome for my first venture into midwest-style downhilling. Once again, I was in waaaay over my head. We walked lots of jumps, ladders, and log skinnies. I'm such a chicken-sh*t that I bailed on all but the 2 very smallest jump ramps (1-1 1/2 feet high). I even got right onto the ramp of a 2 1/2 footer three times, slamming on the brakes each time just as I got to the lip :mad2: .

Here's videos of a bunch of our local freeriders at Boyne. Unfortunately, we missed TG1 (video #1), but we did ride (OK, walked much of) Trooper (video #2). We also rode the practice skinny at the top over and over again (video #6 - Uncle Jimmi Wheelie).
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boyne+highlands+bike&search=Search

After a fabulously fun and tiring but equally frustrating day, I put out a call for help to the local freeriders, and they came through!! I'll be getting a jump lesson from Uncle Jimmi (hopefully next weekend). He's the guy in the white helmet in the pics from Cannonsburg - see another one of his videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-IJXVcNOEM&mode=related&search= I can't wait!! I'm thinking I probably should get a set of pads.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First Jump Lesson Update

I finally had my 1st jump lesson last Saturday. We met Uncle Jimmi and the 3 Matts (at least I didn't have to remember a bunch of names :cool: ) and headed out to the Midland BMX park.

Jimmi set up some cones in the parking lot for slow speed maneuvers - I had to ride around them as slowly and smoothly as possible without knocking them over or going outside the yellow parking lines (there was about 6" between the cones and the lines). The we worked on Track Stands (where you remain on the bike upright without moving forward), then "pumping" the bike to gain speed without pedalling. After an hour of this, we headed into the track. The rollers, jumps, and table-tops were really scary! It took me about 4 trips around before I got the guts to actually attempt to "jump":( .

When everyone was tired out from that, we headed out to "session" downtown Midland. We did some stair riding, curb riding and jumping, bunny hopping, and just plain goofy crap.

On Sunday, Hubby and I headed up to Traverse City to their BMX track to practice what I learned. By my 3rd trip around, I actually got about 1' of air off 1 roller and completely cleared a table-top jump for the 1st time :yahoo: .

Here's the first set of video clips from Saturday (Uncle Jimmi is in the white helmet and Matt is in the blue shirt):
Click here to watch Midland-Clips
Click here to watch Roof-and-Sign-Rides

I'll have more (including some of me) after I fight with my camcorder and computer to keep them from locking up during vide capture.

abc

Banned
Reminds me of one "accidental jump" I did at Kingdom trail. I was rolling down this trail and saw a bump that looks like it's meant to be jumped. So I let the bike go. Just as I was near the lip of the jump, I realized there's a tree just off the side of the landing...

As all mountain biker will tell you, your bike goes where you look! As I fixiated on the tree, the bike started to veer towards it. I better do something about it, fast!

I slam my fingers on the the brakes and push my butt back to counter the deceleration. But there's still too much speed I took off. Now my body was off balance and we were still airborne. Not good. Fortunately, the air I took was small enough I landed rubber side down. But I had to waste another second to re-gain my balance before I can brake again, narrowly missing the tree.

What do they say? ALWAYS scout the landing before jumping!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow Volklgirl! You are really progressing. Maybe I should consider lessons too? Anyway, congratulations and you are such an inspiration for me! Thanks again for sharing.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Puleeeeze, don't hurt me tomorrow!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga