• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lake Compounce 5K race 7/27/2008

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did it!!! I finished my first ever 5K! :D

So those who have been following the journey know that I started the Couch to 5K training plan in early May. Never ran before in my life. On May 20th, to keep myself motivated, I signed up for the 5K that I ran today. I had a couple setbacks along the way... had to take a week off of training in the early days due to knee pain, and in the last couple weeks I had to take another week off due to an infected sebaceous cyst on my sternum that had to be opened up. I never managed more than 2.5 miles running in training. My goals for today were to NOT finish last, and to finish in 35 minutes (which I thought the latter was a really lofty goal, but I figured I'd set the bar high).

Results!!!!

Finished 71 out of 74. One of the 3 behind me I passed about 1.7 miles in and stayed ahead of him the rest of the race. He even stopped after he finished to tell me that I kicked his ass. :D

Total race time: 34 minutes 5 seconds :D :D :D

Pace: 10:59 mile

(I usually average 12.5-13 minute miles.)

I far exceeded my expectations for this race! Thanks for all the support on here! I thought of you girls every time I wanted to give up. I did have to slow to a quick walk a few times, but never for very long. I ran at least 2.75 miles of the whole thing, which is phenomenal for me. I can't wait for the next one!

Some photos (thanks to Brian):
Waiting to start (I have the turquoise top, navy running shorts, #609)
Pictures_064.sized.jpg

And we're off!
Pictures_065.sized.jpg

Coming around the corner heading to the finish line:
Pictures_067.sized.jpg

Almost there!!!
Pictures_068.sized.jpg

Pictures_069.sized.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:fireworks:

Congratulations, Sev! We knew you could do it! Your tenacity and can-do attitude are an inspiration to us all. We are so proud of you!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well done Carrie. You must be so pleased to have attained your goals, good for you.

You're looking in great shape in the photos, this is a real achievement.

What's next??? You know they say you don't stop at one .....

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Way to go, Carrie! I knew you could do it! :yahoo:

That's a great time for your first 5k. You must have been going a decent pace when you were running to average an 11 mm even with some walking! :thumbsup:

So, what do you think? Triathlons next? :wink:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev, I'm more excited for you than you can possibly imagine.

I knew you'd exceed your own expectations!!!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:laugh: No plans for triathalons. I don't road bike. I originally signed up for a 5 mile race that's 2 weeks from now, but I think I'm going to bow out of that. It was a bit over-ambitious. But I'm signing up for another 5K on 9/27 (and there's a fitness walk at the same time that Brian's going to do with the kids). I may do one more race this year around Thanksgiving. Next year, the goal is a 10K in early summer and MAYBE a half marathon in the fall. :eek:

It is addictive.... although I have to say there are many times when I'm running that I ask myself "why the hell am I doing this?" :laugh: I just like how it feels to accomplish something I never thought I could. Not only was I never athletic, but I had so many things stacked against me this year between the partial ACL tear in February, my life-changing situation in late April (which was actually a catalyst to get me to finally try running)... finding time when it was just me and the kids for 7 weeks... It's really helped turn around what was an otherwise crappy situation. And I feel really great about myself right now, having done more than I dreamed I could.

So, that's why I do it. :D I'll be working on getting faster for the next 5K.

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You don't have to have a road bike for a triathlon. Originally I was going to ride my "comfort" bike, but recently changed my mind to a road bike. I think anything goes!

BTW - great job on the 5K!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, totally don't need a road bike. It's nice, but not necessary. I did my first two on my mountain bike, although I did put slick tires on it.

I think a 10k and a half for next summer are fabulous goals, and you can totally do it! I highly recommend Hal Higdon's training programs. He has some great beginner level training programs. I used his beginner half program this spring, and it was perfect. Not too intense, but enough that I was well-prepared for the race. https://www.halhigdon.com/index.html

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Fantastic, Severine! :clap:
YOU DID IT!
:jumphappy:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you anywhere Winding Trails? If so, take a look here and scroll down to the Winding Trails Tri-Training Series. Looks like a lot of fun!

https://www.windingtrails.com/news-spring/news02-SpEvents.html
That does sound interesting! Winding Trails is about 40 minutes from where I live right now... but I will likely be moving, so it's possible it will be closer next summer. Something to consider... thanks! :D

ETA: Hubby also located a couple interesting options for next year that are tris that involve MTBing instead of road biking (and trail running) ... I'll definitely be looking further into those!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That does sound interesting! Winding Trails is about 40 minutes from where I live right now... but I will likely be moving, so it's possible it will be closer next summer. Something to consider... thanks! :D

ETA: Hubby also located a couple interesting options for next year that are tris that involve MTBing instead of road biking (and trail running) ... I'll definitely be looking further into those!

You know, I gotta pass on the love. It really is addictive and exhilarating. I can't wait until I get my freaking foot under control so I can do a full tri. :becky:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow Severine! Way to go!!!

What a change in you from May. You're looking GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna