• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

La Nina: Wondering where it is?

Christy

Angel Diva
There was an interesting blog post from our local weather guru about La Nina. If anyone's wondering why we aren't getting hammered with snow, this helps explain it. He is talking mostly about WA state but this applies to any place where La Nina brings the rain/snow.

In general, La Nina years are wetter during the entire fall-winter season....but that is only on average. You can think of weighting a coin---instead of heads and tails being equally probable, heads is more likely. Throw the coin ten times and it could be heads eight times--BUT you STILL will get two tails.

This year it is more LIKELY to be wetter than normal, but some La Nina years HAVE been drier than normal.

But there is something else... a characteristic of La Nina years is the persistence of a major ridge in the eastern Pacific. Normally, that ridge is far enough west that we are in the
downstream trough...giving us cool, wet weather. This year, the trough has been farther east than normal...giving us drier than normal conditions. And we have seen the ridging day after day. For some reason the ridge is shifted--and so we have been generally dry and cool.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/12/where-is-la-nina.html

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's in my driveway! In CO it hits the front range rather than mountains. I have a foot in the driveway this morning (well to the side of the driveway and a sore back now.) Yay! I love the snow. I do prefer when it's at the ski areas though.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
That B*TCH! I want some snow already! :mad2:

SusieK

Certified Ski Diva
I'm out in CO for Christmas holiday, wow conditions are pretty poor. Did a day at Vail and a day at Breckinridge, and am considering spending the rest of my time in Denver with my siblings.

Everyone is crowded on the reduced number of open runs, icy, dirt patches, twigs picking through the snow, all spells increased risk for injury. Not to mention the lack of fun factor having to maneuver around all the people, look out for the few folks who are skiing too fast and out of control as well as keeping a mindful eye on snow conditions in my line. It just doesn't seem worth the risk. I would rather be injury free and look forward to another ski day this season than get hurt and potentially miss the whole season. Have I turned into a wimp in my middle age?

Hope it's better when I cme back in February!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for finding that! I must have deleted the bookmark sometime during the summer. Now I'm back to four weather bookmarks on my toolbar: the regular NWS forecast for Salt Lake, NWS meteogram for Alta, NWS Cottonwood Canyons forecast, and Herb's site.

Everyone's been saying it will snow in January, but if Herb says so, I'll really, really try to believe. :redface:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna