• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kids' ski pants for the petite chick

Lese

Diva in Training
Hey guys,

I'm back again with an informational post. As part of the whole "buying new skis" experience I ended up getting very interested in updating the rest of my ski gear. One of the things I'm wrangling a lot with is appropriately sized gear, especially b/c I'm pretty small at 5'0 105-110 lbs (32-26-34 ... my preferred inseam is about 26 inches). I've been having a helluva time finding ski pants; your average XS in any brand has a waist/inseam that is 2-3 inches too long :/ I've come to terms with the fact that kids' gear is usually not quite as tricked out as adult stuff; mostly I just want a lot of pockets :smile:

I recently went to a local store that had a selection of kids' stuff, and wanted to give my feedback on some pants I tried on.

Womens XS Roxy Backyard pant - lol, way too wide and way too long
Womens XS Leschi pant - shockingly tight in the waist/hips, and then still way too long. I looked this brand up later and their XS is geared towards a woman with a waist of ~24.

Boys L Quiksilver State pant - it was labelled "youth" so I only found out later that it's actually boys. Waist/hip was too big, inseam was ok to slightly big
Boys M Quiksilver State pant - waist was ok to slightly big, I forgot to make note of the hips, and the inseam was still ok to slightly big (I didn't try these on consecutively... whoops... but assume the inseam was slightly shorter)
Boys M Quiksilver Mission pant - Waist slightly tight to OK, hips were pretty tight, inseam was perfect
Girls M Ride Dart pant - this was essentially perfect in the waist and hips, but inseam was about 1 inch too short. I grappled with buying it and just using the growth extension system, but decided I didn't like the color enough

I also tried a few other pairs of mostly youth M pants (didn't take more notes, sorry), and generally the consensus was that the hips were the limiting factor; on the other hand, I did try some youth L pants that were just too big overall. I suspect this will have to be one of those "must try on individually to ascertain fit" things which is SUPER annoying given the lack of some central repository of girls ski pants I can easily access.

Thoughts on kids pants? Anyone have any specific recommendations? Hope this helped at least one person out there!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My very good friend is also tiny (5' and about 100 lbs. soaking wet) and she bought some Salomon boys pants last season and they fit her really well.

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
Hey guys,

I'm back again with an informational post. As part of the whole "buying new skis" experience I ended up getting very interested in updating the rest of my ski gear. One of the things I'm wrangling a lot with is appropriately sized gear, especially b/c I'm pretty small at 5'0 105-110 lbs (32-26-34 ... my preferred inseam is about 26 inches). I've been having a helluva time finding ski pants; your average XS in any brand has a waist/inseam that is 2-3 inches too long :/ I've come to terms with the fact that kids' gear is usually not quite as tricked out as adult stuff; mostly I just want a lot of pockets :smile:

I recently went to a local store that had a selection of kids' stuff, and wanted to give my feedback on some pants I tried on.

Womens XS Roxy Backyard pant - lol, way too wide and way too long
Womens XS Leschi pant - shockingly tight in the waist/hips, and then still way too long. I looked this brand up later and their XS is geared towards a woman with a waist of ~24.

Boys L Quiksilver State pant - it was labelled "youth" so I only found out later that it's actually boys. Waist/hip was too big, inseam was ok to slightly big
Boys M Quiksilver State pant - waist was ok to slightly big, I forgot to make note of the hips, and the inseam was still ok to slightly big (I didn't try these on consecutively... whoops... but assume the inseam was slightly shorter)
Boys M Quiksilver Mission pant - Waist slightly tight to OK, hips were pretty tight, inseam was perfect
Girls M Ride Dart pant - this was essentially perfect in the waist and hips, but inseam was about 1 inch too short. I grappled with buying it and just using the growth extension system, but decided I didn't like the color enough

I also tried a few other pairs of mostly youth M pants (didn't take more notes, sorry), and generally the consensus was that the hips were the limiting factor; on the other hand, I did try some youth L pants that were just too big overall. I suspect this will have to be one of those "must try on individually to ascertain fit" things which is SUPER annoying given the lack of some central repository of girls ski pants I can easily access.

Thoughts on kids pants? Anyone have any specific recommendations? Hope this helped at least one person out there!
I'm about the same size. I use Burton women's small for shells. I can also fit pretty well into Spyder girls 16. Marker size 6 short also work.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm about the same size. I use Burton women's small for shells. I can also fit pretty well into Spyder girls 16. Marker size 6 short also work.

This is what I do... I've got some XS Burton Lucky pants that fit well.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've often tried on kids' pants (I'm a bit under 5 ft and about 105 lb) and never had much luck. I'm just not shaped like a kid, I guess. So always end up with ladies small and get them shortened. Seems to work.

Lese

Diva in Training
I wanted to update for any interested parties. I finally bought a pair today! So last time I had tried on the quiksilver state pant in an orange color (M, slightly too big?) and this pretty neon yellow/green color (L, overall large) ... I went to another store today and tried on the yellow/green ("sulphur spring") in M and it was PERFECT. Final measurements on the pant were waist 28, hip 34-35, inseam 26, and they have lots of pockets and thigh vents.

I also took a look at the Burton Lucky pants - a nearby shop had them down to XXS (waist was tiny, yet inseam still too long...). The same shop had a some Spyders in 16 (too long), and I tried on Columbia Starchaser pants in both M and L (I believe the color is light grape). M was way too small, L was ok with inseam but otherwise could have functioned as palazzo pants (huge).

I guess my final conclusion is that even among kids pants there was huge variability (so keep trying, Skibam!) and there is no substituting trying on pants in real life. :smile:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga