• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kids--how much wind is too much?

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, Wildcat Mtn in north NH is $9 this Friday. :ski3: It's supposed to be a fantastic mountain, and all the kids are skiing well enough that we can go a-wandering some now. But, the winds will be high, 10-15 mph range. Gusts are supposed to be in the mid-30's range. On the mountain it should be even worse.

How windy is too windy for a little 4 year old? We're ages 4,6,8,10. Roughly, about when do little guys started sailing across the snow from a standstill just because of the wind? It happened to my 4yo earlier, but I have no idea what the wind strength was that day. What about the lift chairs being blown around?

I'm salivating to get us up there, but not if we're going to compromised because of the wind. :brr:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, Wildcat Mtn in north NH is $9 this Friday. :ski3: It's supposed to be a fantastic mountain, and all the kids are skiing well enough that we can go a-wandering some now. But, the winds will be high, 10-15 mph range. Gusts are supposed to be in the mid-30's range. On the mountain it should be even worse.

How windy is too windy for a little 4 year old? We're ages 4,6,8,10. Roughly, about when do little guys started sailing across the snow from a standstill just because of the wind? It happened to my 4yo earlier, but I have no idea what the wind strength was that day. What about the lift chairs being blown around?

I'm salivating to get us up there, but not if we're going to compromised because of the wind. :brr:

How far a drive is it? I don't think I'd worry too much about it if gusts are just mid-30s. If there is danger to chairs, they will (should) close the lift, so that's not an issue. In my experience, if you stay low on the mountain and in a protected area, you can really hide from wind; ask around (patrollers, etc.) when you get there.

At $9 a ticket, if the drive isn't too far, I personally would risk it. Would it be worth it to get three runs in, if it did end up being too bad? Of course, I've never taken four kids under 10 skiing before, either... (you are a saint)

(and yes, cover faces etc.)

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's 75 miles away, 2 hours max. Our local slope is great, only 30 minutes away, and to get to anything significantly better it's at least 1.5 hours away to any of them. I figured for $9 it would be worth it. Actually, I met a lady today whose daughter works at Wildcat. Gave her my e-mail and she's going to ask her daughter about conditions and give me some guidance regarding the kids. She lives about halfway between me and Wildcat. It was extremely windy up at her place today, way to windy to ski, but I think Friday's wind is supposed to be much less.

And, as always, weather predictions change overnight!

Can you tell I'm really hoping we get to go?!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course, I've never taken four kids under 10 skiing before, either... (you are a saint)

(and yes, cover faces etc.)

I'd be happy to introduce you to the idea next season, you can be my helper one day...:eyebrows:

I regularly ski in these sorts of conditions with little ones (5&6) and the key is covered faces and frequent warm up/hot chocolate breaks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga