• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Keeping Kids Fit.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more I think about it the more it drives me nuts what is served at ski lodges. As a coach I really ask parents to pack the kids lunches, it's tough to organize kids in ski gear to get lunch etc but on occasion we end up having to buy it. The kids are drawn to (and without parents having told me they aren't allowed to have something it's hard to put my foot down) pizza, french fries, candy, coke or powerade etc. Getting them to choose chili or soup is tough if not impossible. And the candy right where we stand to wait to pay is disastrous. I really feel for you parents who fight the battle every day.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more I think about it the more it drives me nuts what is served at ski lodges. As a coach I really ask parents to pack the kids lunches, it's tough to organize kids in ski gear to get lunch etc but on occasion we end up having to buy it. The kids are drawn to (and without parents having told me they aren't allowed to have something it's hard to put my foot down) pizza, french fries, candy, coke or powerade etc. Getting them to choose chili or soup is tough if not impossible. And the candy right where we stand to wait to pay is disastrous. I really feel for you parents who fight the battle every day.

Yeah, and in a situation like that, I just wouldn't worry about it too much. In a group dynamic, you don't want to be the one telling Bobby that his mother won't let him have fries, but all the other kids are getting them, etc.

As far as ski school/team lunches, I always figured one day a week of pizza and fries for a couple of months out of the year wasn't going to kill anyone. There is a freedom that the kids really enjoy, getting to choose their own food without anyone harping on the health benefits.

You can only hope that the other 6 days are full of better food.

(I am a bit nervous about judging other's food choices, though, so I think I might just keep it to my own family. I can see this going downhill fast. I mean, sometimes I like the biggest ugliest greasiest meal washed down with -- gasp -- beer at lunch on a ski day. Do I always eat like that? Of course not. But I hope no one is looking down his nose at me.)

(And speaking of big ugly greasy ski lunches, you Canadians got it going with poutine! Mmmmm. Can you tell that my weakness isn't sweets so much as FAT....)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have kids, but at some point in the future I will. I really do admire and hold my fSIL and fBIL as a role model for a mother. I may not do some of the things they do (homeschooling, running sub-7min/miles), but I think they have a great home life. THe kids are very well behaved, they eat well and ENJOY eating well, because mom and dad eat the same way. They enjoy activity, because mom and dad place value on activity as well.

They aren't forbidden from eating bad foods at places outside of the house, but they don't get them at home. It's not that they're not allowed, its that they just get the good stuff at home, so when they get offered crappy stuff (last week, fried chicken at a funeral), they prefer the healthy stuff.

And they don't watch tv, because mom and dad don't watch tv.

So I think the real thing is to be a good role model for your kids. If they see you doing something that they're not allowed to do, you'll have problems.

That being said, the occassional baked good isn't a problem. Heck if you tried to take away my twice-monthly ice creams, I'd probably go crazy.

But it's important to thing of fruit and veggies as a treat, instead of as a punishment. And the same for being sent outside. As a kid I spent all day outside on my own. I think it's very important that being told to 'go outside and play' isn't used as a punishment. It breaks my heart to see/hear of adults who view the outdoors as a miserable place that they'd rather not be. Seriously? Do they know what they're missing??

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I'm not perfect either but I think what gets me is when parents snicker at my healthy stuff.

Jilly

Staff member
(And speaking of big ugly greasy ski lunches, you Canadians got it going with poutine! Mmmmm

Lots of that goes out too at Tremblant. But its better at a chip truck. The other big thing at Tremblant and Ottawa is "beaver tails" This thing is just a deep fried doughnut flatten to look like a beaver tail. If the dough, sugar isn't bad enough, then add toppings - chocolate, cinnamon, icing, fruit spreads and more chocolate. I haven't had one in years, makes my teeth hurt thinking about it, but we've friends that have to hit that place every time they come up.

Marigee

Angel Diva
The more I think about it the more it drives me nuts what is served at ski lodges.

I agree. Also, the lunches that my kids were offered when in ski school were always things like burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. Most of the ski schools they were in had a separate lunch area and a select few choices for lunch. I actually have kids that would have preferred soup and salad or turkey sandwich and fruit - even when they were very young. They hated the ski school lunches. I used to leave a snack with the ski school for them so they wouldn't go hungry.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
In thinking about all of this, I confess that as a kid I ate junk. Not sure how that would translate into the quantity/availability of today, but I ate my share. It's very curious that so many more really young kids (5 and up) are so overweight. Has to be combination of both bad food and lack of exercise, don't you think?? :noidea:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In thinking about all of this, I confess that as a kid I ate junk. Not sure how that would translate into the quantity/availability of today, but I ate my share. It's very curious that so many more really young kids (5 and up) are so overweight. Has to be combination of both bad food and lack of exercise, don't you think?? :noidea:
Living in a world where the technology means there is plenty of sedentary fun.
Top that off with the fear factor, of not letting your kids out of your sight.........you have kids that don't do what we used to do.

Skimom, I applaud you for your parenting.

I recall going to town on our bikes as kids and not talking to our mom all day.
Literally 6+ hrs, and she never worried. We lived in a small town where the community knew you and you knew the community. If we'd gotten hurt, someone would have called mom. If we'd got into trouble, someone would have called mom.
Lots of fearless activity, with the exception of the fear of someone telling mom that they caught you doing something baaaaaad, but then, that kept us gooooooood!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of fearless activity, with the exception of the fear of someone telling mom that they caught you doing something baaaaaad, but then, that kept us gooooooood!

You? Good? :p:laugh:

I agree though, technology makes it so much easier for kids to sit and do nothing and be entertained. Before, for entertainment we had to make it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I agree though, technology makes it so much easier for kids to sit and do nothing and be entertained. Before, for entertainment we had to make it.

That and a whole lot of general paranoia. I just don't know too many parents, unless living in small, quiet towns, who let their kids out the door in the a.m. to do "whatever." Times have changed. There's trouble out there - or at the very least, "perceived" trouble. It's just not innocent anymore. Really too bad --- for us all..... As a result, more and more kids - at least the lucky ones - are in much more scheduled, structured activities. Many do not have that luxury or privilege.

Listen, it was also altogether possible for kids to be sedentary 50 years ago. I knew plenty who were happy to sit on a couch and watch reruns all summer on 4 tv channels. Or play board games, or cards. And eat junk. Plenty of it in the 50's, believe me. I had friends and cousins who sat. Most are now dealing with osteoporosis, arthritis, even joint replacement, and all the lovely effects of decades of being overweight: statin drugs for high cholesterol, glucose intolerance/borderline type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular issues.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's only 11:45 p.m., can I go to the gym NOW????!!!!!
Being a hyper, tomboy kid has had its long-range benefits!!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Food and entertainment....but you know what I see? It's a whole mind set. I see three, four, five, six and SEVEN year olds in strollers!!! We need a ban on kids older than two in strollers. Seriously.

The other night when I was out on a bike ride, I saw a mom and dad on a walk, with a kid ( who looked perfectly healthy and slightly bored)who must have been 6 or 7, in stroller, with a DVD player watching a movie. There is something so wrong with this, not only from a fitness point of view, but lifestyle, entitlement etc etc etc.

/rant over, sorry. I just couldn't believe that....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ :eek: ^^^^ 5-7 year olds in STROLLERS??? Yeah, that would bother me, too, much less the electronic accessories.... Have times really changed THIS MUCH?? :noidea: Heck, 20 years ago, my then-7 year old hiked through 3 Disney parks in a 3 day time span. (Doubt he'd have been seen dead in a stroller by that age.)

My rant: when I see blatantly, grossly overweight younger kids (<10), at places like fairs, etc., wolfing down sheer junk, like cotton candy, etc.

Isn't there any happy medium anymore? The statistics re: bonafide anorexia/bulimia are also simply alarming, to-wit: 1 in 5 girls admits to being or having been on a diet - by age TEN.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Food and entertainment....but you know what I see? It's a whole mind set. I see three, four, five, six and SEVEN year olds in strollers!!! We need a ban on kids older than two in strollers. Seriously.

The other night when I was out on a bike ride, I saw a mom and dad on a walk, with a kid ( who looked perfectly healthy and slightly bored)who must have been 6 or 7, in stroller, with a DVD player watching a movie. There is something so wrong with this, not only from a fitness point of view, but lifestyle, entitlement etc etc etc.

For the most part totally YES to you. (A DVD player? Hello? You're outside! Birds and animals and trucks to look at!) My four-year-old LOVES to walk when we are hiking or walking with his toddler brother in backpack or stroller. Or should I say, he loves to RUN! He doesn't want to slow us down, and even when we try to slow down he will jog for up to 30min or so.

That said, there are still times when the big kid goes in the double jogging stroller. He only has 30-45min of stamina, so when we choose to go for a long *adventure walk* he ends up in and out of the stroller/backpack. Plus, we are trying to show our kids how cool nature is, so that means hiking. Most kids in the 2-6yo range don't have the coordination or stamina to do much more than little bits and pieces of a hike on their own two feet.

And the fact that we sometimes have to help them? That's a workout for whoever is pushing/carrying. Stroller, full-loaded with both kids, is 85lbs+. :eek: Try pushing THAT uphill on a gravel path! (I feel like Bode, training with the tennis court roller.) And the big one in the backpack is a good 43lbs. . . and that doesn't count kid odds and ends.

So while I agree that kids over 2-3 don't need to be *strollerized* for a short jaunt to the mall or the neighborhood ice cream shop. . . sometimes they need a wee break! :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
they do, but you caught my drift exactly. I carried one of mine in a pack, on errands, a lot because he was a holy terror and would destroy whole stores in a matter of minutes. But the scene I described was like an evening walk around the neighborhood.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, boob tube off unless it's something special or a crappy day. Good food choices. Lots of outside time. :thumbsup:

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally don't have children, but watching my niece grow up has been a joy. She just turned 10, and I did live with her for the first 5 years of her life.

She has always been an active kid, and I attribute that to 1. her wanting to do various activities, and 2. my parents who are raising her, they were conditioned by me <as a kid and teen> into running around constantly taking me to various practices and activities!

She's a normal kid, she eats well <my mother loves to cook, my father is diabetic and has health issues of his own> and my mother cooks "lite" meals full of organic foods, non-processed, not overly salted or sugared, and lots of veggies. She eats cookies, brownies, and whatever other junk you can think of, but the key is "moderation"....

She also only drinks water. My mother started giving her water at an early age instead of fruit <ie sugar> drinks. Now all she likes to drink is water. We'd offer her anything, from pop to gatorade, to fruit drinks, but she prefers water.... she's 10!!! How awesome is that???

She's also very active. She's tried every sport I can think of, loves horseback riding <she just finished a week long camp that she goes to every year for riding>, has wall climbed, loves skiing, and is a member of a youth group called "indian maidens" which keeps her busy.

Basically I think parents are key in a childs health and well being. Too many parents let their children become sedentary because they themselves don't want the hassle of managing a childs activities. It's sad, but these days video games and computers have become babysitters instead of evening down-time activities... Don't get me wrong, my niece has a Wii.... I'm an avid gamer myself, but again, the key is "moderation"!

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a parent of a 9 year old boy who is super thin, I don't have to worry about him being overweight. If that ever gets to be a problem, I will limit the amount of snacks that are in the house. I believe the obesity problem with kids could be helped if parents would get off their butts and do stuff with them! My husband and I take our son on long bike rides (up to 10 miles), go kayaking, hiking, skiing (not to mention play baseball/catch outside with him). I live in a suburban neighborhood and very rarely do I ever see any of the parents on our street out for a bike ride with their children. I will agree with the other posters who mention diet - that is also important, but I must admit that we do not always eat healthy in my home.

numb3rs

Certified Ski Diva
so being 17 I honestly still consider myself a kid (i mean I live at home). Here's my perspective on this.
I think that kids really are getting way too fat. It is unhealthy but I think it's better than being too skinny. I just wanted to bring up the fact that it does seem a little hard to find a happy medium. I would much rather have an obese kid than an anorexic one. Both would be terrible, but anorexia seems much more serious and can lead to a death as a teenager. Obese children can live longer (not as long as if they were healthy obviously). I have a friend who was kind of chunky as a kid and I just saw her recently. She has started exercising and is incredibly thin! It's a little scary and I think it has something to do with media and just other teenagers being obnoxious. I think you have to start kids out with good eating habits when they're young, but still let them eat fast food after a soccer game or something were they obviously burned a lot of energy. Don't make them so worried about being fat that they become too thin. I also think it's ridiculous that some parents will no longer have their kids eating PB&J because of carbs...that's like depriving someone of their childhood (ok so that's kind of melodramatic but still)

This being said, I am definitely not the most active person. I love just sitting in my basement and watching tv but when friends are over I definitely burn a lot of energy. My number one recommendation is to get kids a dog that they have to walk or a trampoline (!). My friends and I will still jump on my trampoline for hours and let me tell you that it takes a lot of endurance and can make you sweat like you're running a marathon on a hot day. Kids absolutely love just jumping around for some reason too! I'm terrible about eating vegetables and I've never liked milk but I'm still skinny thanks to being active. Ok my fast metabolism doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna