• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 Nancy, Salomon Scarlett, Volkl Auras

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday I tried three skis for powder. I am more timid and out of shape compared to last year due to my accident and had gotten some K2 Outlaws at the beginning of the season, but they are proving to be a ski for the skier I WAS, not the skier I AM. They tend to wear me out due to their weight. I loved my K2 Recons (and wish they weren't in the out-of-service category), so I thought I'd love the Outlaws.

Anyway, I've never liked women's skis in the past. I've tried them on and off thru the years and always found them too "squirrely-girly" for speed and crud. But, having heard great things about the latest crop of skis, I've been giving them more of a try this year.

Back in December I'd tried the Auras and thought they were a great ski. I've only been able to test them in a 163 so far, which is a bit short for me, but felt that in a longer length they'd be a good ski for me.

Yesterday I tested the K2 Nancys, the Salomon Scarlett, and once again the Volkl Aura. All were 160-something in length. First were the Nancys. I hated them. Once again, too squirrely-girly. Conditions were horrid yesterday for testing....rime on the goggles, low visibility, and lots of chopped up powder and lumpy-bumpy. I didn't even take the Nancys in the trees. They were too much all over the map in the lumpy bumps. I couldn't get back to the shop fast enough! Next were the Salomon Scarletts, which the shop said was a stiffer ski and supposedly their "hot" ski. It was....okay. But I didn't trust the edge hold when I stomped on it hard and it was tough to initiate turns without skidding. I was powering them down the hill quite a bit. I did take them down Good Med and they weren't too bad in the powder which in places was knee deep and not light. Finally, my daughter, who was also demoing with me, let me have the Auras for one run before the shop closed and she took the Scarlets. Once again, I liked the Auras and all I can say is it's a FUN ski! My daughter was in my way of thinking about the Scarlets as well. She's a much better skier than I am and used to race. She wants an all mountain and off piste ski and nothing but the Auras will do for her. She did tell me that my technique on the Auras sucked, but we were both really exhausted by the end of the day due to conditions and could hardly walk to the car, so I don't know how much that played into how I looked on the Auras, all I know is they were so easy to turn in the chop and FUN.

I will say that when I climbed onto my Outlaws at day's end to ski back to the lower lodge where we were parked that the total rock hard stability of the Outlaws felt wonderful. I didn't get that comfort level with any of the skis I tested, even the Auras. So, I might look for a season deal on the Auras, but not gonna pay full price for them. The daughter is antsy about me getting her a pair and naturally doesn't care WHAT I pay.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Ugh!!! I should have demoed more before I bought the Nancy's. I got a great deal on them so I'm not TOO PO'd...but a little.

Tomorrow I'm going to demo the Volkl Mantra's in 177, since they only have the Auras in a 156 or something. WAY too short for me.

My sweetie told me he thinks I rip on my Nancy's and that I'm doing awesome on them...so I can't wait to try the Volkls. The Nancy's are a bit soft and are NO GOOD for anything but a huge powder day. That being said, we've had a TON of big Pow days here in Aspen...so I've gotten some use out of them, that's for sure.

I just hope I don't LOVE the Mantras too much tomorrow. I'm taking them to Highlands & it has been snowing all day here. I mean....I don't want to HAVE to go buy new skis. LOL...:wink: Or do I?:D

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I thought of trying the Mantras, but the shortest pair were 170's and I thought that would be too much ski for me with the Outlaws at 167 being just a tad too much. The guy at the shop said the Nancys were just for powder, but in my opinion, you have to be able to ski the base area or somewhere to get TO the powder and you want to survive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga