• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 '07 Lotta Luv

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Lotta Luv (160cm) for the first time today. It took me a while to get used to the turn radius, I'm used to a GS ski. Unfortunately, the conditions were crap. There were rocks all over the place (recent high winds blew away a good layer of fresh & man-made snow), which resulted in a lot of obsticle dodging.

I really like these skis and the size I chose was perfect. They did awsome on most of the conditions. They performed great on the hard pack, they loved the softer snow on the groomers and were very happy when I hit the powder. I was amazed that transitioning from the different conditions didn't require a whole lot of thought on my part.

The biggest surprise form me was the transition from the super hard pack (almost ice) to powder. I didn't even realize the powder was there and was surprised to find my self in it (it wasn't too deep, but definitely nice untracted soft powder) especially after comming off the iciest run on the hill. These skis figured out what was going on before I did and just plowed right through. There was non of the kick back I'm used to and when I wanted to turn, they just did. On my skies I have to adjust my stance to avoid falling when they suddenly slow down on the powder and turning is just work.

They didn't like the real icy stuff at all, they tend to slide out. Super hard pack was dueable, but required more work. Unfortunately, I think I need a ski that is a bit more versitle or cheaper. I don't think I would get the best use of them where I ski the most, if we got more powder or just MORE snow, I'd definitely consider them although I'll bet they would work great for the slush fests we tend to get (12 noon temp was 60 degrees today).

I'll be skiing them again tomorrow (a one day rental gives me 1 1/2 days of skiing) and see how it goes with more time on the skis, I may change my mind - AGAIN.

I'll have to try the Volkl AC3s again, this time on my home turf and maybe I'll try the Burnin Luvs also, from what I have read, both do better in icy conditions as well as handle the powder well.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
smpayne said:
I'll be skiing them again tomorrow (a one day rental gives me 1 1/2 days of skiing) and see how it goes with more time on the skis, I may change my mind - AGAIN.

I'll have to try the Volkl AC3s again, this time on my home turf and maybe I'll try the Burnin Luvs also, from what I have read, both do better in icy conditions as well as handle the powder well.

I'd be interested to hear your comparison of these three skis, so please post when you try the Volkl's and Burnin' Luvs!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two of the women in my Ladies Day group ski on the Lotta Luv--but you are right it is more of a Western all mountain ski than a good carver. The Burnin Luv is a neat ski too---it has a smaller waist--69 instead of 76, so it will handle the hard pack better--but, it has a wide tip and I think you will be surprised that it handles powder quite well too. I skied it through about 18 inches of new, fluffly stuff last spring and I was impressed by how well it did.

The AC3 is an awesome ski--it is a little stiffer and make sure that you are really flexing it into the turn. The K2 ski has a slightly different shape which makes it easier to initiate the turn. Both of those skis would work well with Eastern hard pack.

I ski a "carving ski" as an all mountain ski---I skied it off groomed all day today and loved it. the advantage to a 69mm waist is that the ski is easy to turn--on and off groomed. I ski an Elan Speed Magic--would recommend the Elan Wave Magic to you. It is about the same stiffness as the Burnin Luv, but it has more liveliness to it. Have fun with the demos. Kelly

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm definitely surprised to hear the AC3 is a stiffer ski than the Lotta Luv. I will definitely have to try that one next weekend.

Right now I am at my work bench with my son's skis on the blocks - boy am I glad I wasn't skiing my own skis today, what I spent on the rental, I saved on base work and got to have some fun on very cool skis. He is going to need some Ptex work done soon. Right now we will just have to do with filing the bases, an edge sharpen and wax.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did much better today - conditions were a bit more favorable, not so many ice patches and closer to typical conditions.

Just for clarification, what most of us Westerners call ice, I have called super hard pack. I don't want to insult the Eastern skiiers by calling it ice. What I am calling ice, is that really shinny, slick patch (may be under a bit of loose snow), that looks and feels like you would need an ice pick to get rid of it.

Other than the really icy spots, these skis did fine once the operator error was dealt with. I did notice that they wanted to go fast on the hard pack and super hard pack. They carved and held an edge just fine, until I got scared and tried to slide instead of carve trying to slow down. Stopping took a lot of real estate on the really hard stuff. They are very stable under foot and while they had me flying, they were easier on my legs than my skis. If you don't want to go as fast, go with a smaller size.

Their favorite place to be is still the powder (didn't have much of this to test) and the soft and super soft groomers. I think I really like these skis.

Now, what to test next??? I think I will try to reserve the AC3s since they are the closest by comparison.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review!

I bought a pair of Lottas, without demoing - since I also have a pair of Burnin's, which I love in every condition.

I'm interested in the fact that you think 160 is a mite long - may I ask your approximate dimensions?

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think 160 is too long - for me it was perfect. I just couldn't make it go slow on the steeps without skidding and this ski doesn't skid very well, it does much better carving definite turns. I think if I had been on the 153, it would not have wanted to go as fast and wanted to turn more, but I may be wrong. A year ago, this would have been what I wanted, but not now.

I was speaking with a number of other women today and they kept saying things like, "I don't like to ski fast" and "I won't ski conditions like these - too icy" and these were ski team moms. It was these comments that made me think that some women might want the performace without the speed, my mom would be one of these she likes precise style and even enjoys different conditions, but likes to take it slow and easy.

Most of my skiing on these skis was on Black Diamond groomed runs and upper level Blue runs.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
smpayne said:
I was speaking with a number of other women today and they kept saying things like, "I don't like to ski fast" and "I won't ski conditions like these - too icy" and these were ski team moms. It was these comments that made me think that some women might want the performace without the speed, my mom would be one of these she likes precise style and even enjoys different conditions, but likes to take it slow and easy.

What I've found in many of these cases is that they're on a ski that doesn't inspire conficence at speed or in gucky conditions....as soon as they pick up a little speed, the ski wanders, skitters, and chatters. Once they get on a more stable ski they tend to ski much faster than before. And 90% of the time, they're in boots that either don't fit or are too soft.

NW Ski Gal

Diva in Training
NO way, Kelly! I loved your review...I just picked up the K2 Lotta Luz ('07--last year's model) at the Spokane Swap, and got it home to realize that maybe it might be lightly longer than I wanted...what are your thoughts on length for the Lotta Luv? Remember I had those old Spires, but think the wider ski might be more fun in heavier snow...tell me what you think on length these days...I'm 5'3 but weigh a lot (140), so I might be fine, plus I'm aggressive. What length did you demo them? ...I used to work with you at Big Mountain...WS

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course I remember the Spires--they were a great ski too--didnt't you have the in a 160? They had a 68 waist---which seemed like plenty at the time.

I have skied the Lotta too---I am heavier than you--about 155---and I used the 160 which was fine. The ski will not seem stiff to you at all and I think even a 163 would work for you. What length did you get? When Trish got a pair of Volkl Auras in a 168 last year we all fell over laughing. It looked like she was skiing the Queen Mary!!!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that if you feel like you cannot slow the skis down then maybe they are a little too stiff for you. If you cannot flex the skis, then they will not arc for you. I would try a One Luv and see how that feels.

Also, think of your turns as going around a dinner plate rim---and allow yourself to go slightly uphill before you start the new turn. This will help you to slow the ski down so that you remain in control. Many times, my clients get nervous about being in the fall line and try to rush their turns---and they start to go faster and faster. So, ski a full turn, allow yourself to complete the turn and to drift very slightly uphill, then start the new turn. I think that it is dangerous to be going faster than you want.

Also, lots of my clients have some trouble stopping at the bottom of a steep hill because they lean back into the hill as they try to turn into a hockey stop. You must lean into the turn and have your arms over the down hill ski as you stop---you will have much more control of your stops--- so check to make sure that you are not leaning uphill.

It seems like you are really committed to skiing and loving it too!! I am glad to hear that---a lesson or two should make it easier to move forward in your skiing. Good luck!!

NW Ski Gal

Diva in Training
I thought they were gonna be close to the spires in length, but I don't think "160" means the same, even within a particular manufacturor. I looked at them, they about as tall as me, so about 10 cm longer than the spires were. I thought about seeing if Arrow would hook me up for a pair via pro form (I'm still coaching), but found these for @ $600, brand new, in the package, w/ bindings (I think that's how they come), so it seemed like a good deal to me.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, 600 is a great deal----but, are they taller than your forehead? The problem with waiting is that K2 runs out of Stock and then you can't get another pair. There is a lot more ski underfoot than the 160 Spires---the next size down is 153, I think, which might be more comfortable in bumps----but, in deep pow pow, I think you can easily handle the longer ski---you are really a strong skier. They are about the same stiffness as the spire if that helps too.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that if you feel like you cannot slow the skis down then maybe they are a little too stiff for you. If you cannot flex the skis, then they will not arc for you. I would try a One Luv and see how that feels.

Also, think of your turns as going around a dinner plate rim---and allow yourself to go slightly uphill before you start the new turn. This will help you to slow the ski down so that you remain in control. Many times, my clients get nervous about being in the fall line and try to rush their turns---and they start to go faster and faster. So, ski a full turn, allow yourself to complete the turn and to drift very slightly uphill, then start the new turn. I think that it is dangerous to be going faster than you want.

Also, lots of my clients have some trouble stopping at the bottom of a steep hill because they lean back into the hill as they try to turn into a hockey stop. You must lean into the turn and have your arms over the down hill ski as you stop---you will have much more control of your stops--- so check to make sure that you are not leaning uphill.

It seems like you are really committed to skiing and loving it too!! I am glad to hear that---a lesson or two should make it easier to move forward in your skiing. Good luck!!

When I bought my Lotta Luv's last year my skiing was in transition and I alternated between rushing my turns and making nice smooth turns. When I went back to my "old ways" the Lotta Luvs didn't ski as well.

We had a run at Keystone last spring that was bullet proof. Skiers were falling all over the place. My so held back because so many people were falling. I started out thinking that I needed my Volkls but mentally I decided I knew what to do, just be patient and make good turns. The skis performed beautifully, they didn't miss a beat, and I was down before my so, very unusual.

I could use these skis for all-mtn skis if I needed to

NW Ski Gal

Diva in Training
I think I'll bring 'em to Colorado this Christmas, but they should also be good in the NW "powder," the spires were sometimes a little draggy. Hey, did I tell you I took a bumps clinic with Wayne Wong? What a beautiful skier! I remember him from the '70s from hot doggin' --Parker and I went up to Mission Ridge winter before last and skiied with the bumps master himself. They had just had a huge dump, so it was all pow and no bumps. What fun! So, you're going for Level III at 49? We'll have to get together regardless! You better call me!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I wish it were 49---but, it is 63----soon, I may be the oldest living ski instructor!!! Wayne wong skied at Whitefish last year for a week--0ne of Clay's clients brought him to the Big. He was an amazing man---he was fabulous in the bumps--and he must be about my age!!!

Yeah, I will see you this winter, especially if I head up to 49 degrees north. When Wayne Wong went down Windowpane I was right behind him---what a graceful skier--I miss the old ski ballet techniques!!!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review!

I bought a pair of Lottas, without demoing - since I also have a pair of Burnin's, which I love in every condition.

I'm interested in the fact that you think 160 is a mite long - may I ask your approximate dimensions?

I have skied on the Burnin' Luvs since their 1st season out..so I think this is my 5th season on them. And I'm absolutely in love with them. Powder, crud, steeps, groomed, trees, bumps...they do it all. And, I swear, at the end of the day when I'm tired, they just go on autopilot and I dont' have to do a thing!

The skis I was on prior, were the TNine flights. I skied a 167 in those...most likely too long since I'm 5'2". But, I wasn't aware at that time there was a difference in sizing between straight & shaped skis. The Burnin' Luvs I have are 160s..they do very well for me.

Well, this year, couldn't pass up the deal on the Lotta Luvs at the Denver Snow Expo. Since they are a more agressive ski than the Burnin' Luvs, I bought the 153s..which actually is my size. I think that will give me more control in the bumps & tress, but still be agressive enough for the whole mountain.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SAC had them on last week for $283.00 Brand New w/bindings. I tried to get them but by the time I clicked buy they were *poof* gone!:frusty:

jnmcarroll

Certified Ski Diva
K2 '08 Lotta Luv

I got a chance yesterday to use my new Lotta Luv's (153's) for the first time in 5 inches of fresh powder and I was blown away!!! They are exactly what I was looking for in a new ski. On my old ski's (Salomon 500's) I could shred up the groomers just fine, but trying to ski off piste with my husband was frustrating for me. I stayed in the powder all day yesterday and it was one of the greatest days skiing I have ever had:yahoo: I live near the Wa./Idaho border so I am excited to be able to take better advantage of the powder we get here.

I am not a ski professional who does a lot of demoing, but I can tell you that if you are an advanced intermediate who wants to take that next step and really rip up the freshies and get off-piste more--these skiis rock! I couldn't believe how they floated through the powder, even the crud at the end of the day. I didn't get thrown off balance like I used to with my old skiis. This is going to be a great year!:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga