• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Just signed up for a Dirt Series Clinic!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I missed out last year on the wait list I got in early this year. Please tell me what to expect! I'm signed up for the Winter Park one. I've ridden the cross country trails a ton- but never actually biked at the mountain.

I want to improve my technical skills- but really am more of a cross country rider. I requested one day on the mountain though- which I'm already a little terrified of after seeing all of the jumps etc.

I'd like to improve my skills for doing Xterras and just riding.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done the WP Dirt Series twice (2011 and 2012). It's fantastic. Stop being terrified, right this second. The lift-serviced terrain does not necessitate any jumps. Green World is a fantastic run that I call "my ideal XC trail" (ie, several miles of downhill with only one 300' or so uphill section). You've probably ridden more technical XC trails than Green World.

Have you received the questionnaire yet? It's fantastic. Don't let it intimidate you. They will split up groups by skill level and also by interest in XC vs. downhill.

Do you know what questions you have? I will try to answer =) Also, @altagirl was one of the coaches/teachers a few times.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm- second worry is- how much do they ride? Should I be really ramping up my fitness to ride all day- I mean I like to ride but rarely ride for more than two hours.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be honest - I have only done the downhill focused classes. Oh, but I just remembered, @RachelV did an XC day. She may have more useful input.

All morning is drills at the base. The actual rides aren't till after lunch. I get why they do it that way, but it's kind of a pain because afternoon thunderstorms are pretty typical during downhill season.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you soo much! I am really exited- looks like 7 of the camps are already sold out. Are you thinking of doing it again this year?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm. Probably not. I'm focusing on different stuff this year.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've done lots and lots of clinics over the years when I have some time later I can give my two cents. Many of the coaches I work with also coach for ds and the formats are usually pretty consistent

altagirl

Staff member
Hmm- second worry is- how much do they ride? Should I be really ramping up my fitness to ride all day- I mean I like to ride but rarely ride for more than two hours.

As bounceswoosh said, mornings are skill sessions, so while it's a lot of hours on your feet/bike and you're working on skills, it's not like you're out pedaling for hours. And if the skills sessions feel like too much effort - you can always sit down and take a break and watch whenever necessary. Though, obviously, it's always nice to have as much fitness as reasonably possible so you can get in all the practice you can or want to, you know? And like most things - you can go at it nonstop or you can try something a few times and rest and drink some water... your pace is up to you. That is the nice thing with morning skill sessions - you don't have to keep up with anyone and you can still learn no matter what.

And the afternoon is small group rides. And it will be broken down into XC and lift served riding groups. So if you aren't feeling up to pedaling (at elevation), you can certainly request to be in a lift served group. You would want to voice that early, as it's harder to change groups at the last minute, but it's generally not impossible if you are feeling more exhausted than expected. Personally, I think that unless you want to work on climbing skills, I always feel like you get more out of lift served riding for coaching anyway, whenever it's an option, because then you get to kind of save your energy to work on the features while descending, instead of burning up a lot of energy pedaling to get there. But that's just my nature too. :smile: I'm up for skipping the climb whenever it's an option! And if you do the XC ride groups, they will try to gauge things so the groups are reasonably matched, though it's never going to be perfect. So there will be some waiting by the fast people and catching up by the slower people, but you will have plenty of stops to discuss technique or session various obstacles or corners, so it's certainly not a race. I know in the past, we've had one or two people complain after the clinic that they "didn't even get their workout in and were going to have to go on a road ride afterwards." Well, yes. It's not fitness camp. It's a skills camp. Fitness may help you focus on the skills more, but the goal is not to test your fitness or give you a workout, you know? I think most people are pretty worn out after each day, but obviously it varies. There will be people there who don't ride much at all, and others who are high level endurance athletes - don't worry about being on either end of the spectrum, because you will still have a great opportunity to learn bike handling skills no matter what. :smile:

Definitely don't be scared about the bike park either. There are things to work on at seriously ANY ability level at Winter Park, including lift served riding. Green mile is fabulous fun for a lift served run, and there are a number of blue trails that are great stepping stones as well, and have jumps and things that are easy to roll if you don't want to be in the air.

I won't be coaching this year - I've been taking a break, as I've been really busy with my regular job, but there are a lot of really fantastic coaches and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

And I know they have talked about trying to figure out a way to do the riding in the morning and skills in the afternoon because of the afternoon storms, but I really don't know how to make that work. Hah, if you go out on group rides before working on the skills, it's definitely kind of backwards! :smile: So fingers crossed you have good weather!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I am pretty mediocre mountain biker and the DH stuff at Winter Park is AWESOME. Green World + a few of the easier blues are totally doable and don't require you to get air, ever. The XC day I did did start out with a bit of climbing (maybe 500'?) but was definitely not a super taxing afternoon.

The Dirt Series camps are a blast & completely non-intimidating and at your own pace. You're going to love it. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Connie pretty much covered it.

I will add a few things:
- I found it really helpful to make notes to myself at lunch, and at the end of the day. There is so much information it is hard to retain it all
- You will burn an amazing amount of energy, both mental and physical. I tend to keep high energy snacks in my pockets
-Be open minded. Some people have preconceived notions about what skills are DH or XC, but really, unless you are jumping, they are all relevant fundamental skills.
-If you go with a friend, then you will have someone to practice with on your regular rides afterwards. I found that was so helpful, to coach each other along with the things we each picked up at the clinic.

abc

Banned
So if you aren't feeling up to pedaling (at elevation), you can certainly request to be in a lift served group.
Personally, I think that unless you want to work on climbing skills, I always feel like you get more out of lift served riding for coaching anyway, whenever it's an option, because then you get to kind of save your energy to work on the features while descending, instead of burning up a lot of energy pedaling to get there. But that's just my nature too. :smile: I'm up for skipping the climb whenever it's an option!
Totally agree!

Also, having gravity on your side helps to make a lot of the techniques a little easier, especially when you're learning.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay! I'm getting so excited. I'm hoping the altitude will not hit me too much since we have been spending a lot of time at our condo up there. I was hoping if I did a cross country day I could get some climbing tips (but that's actually what I'm best at) and a day to work on my timidness on the downhills. Maybe I should request 2 days of downhill.

Also, do you suggest trying any demo gear? Or just ride my bike (Superlight 29er) I don't have any pads and just a regular helmet. I need to get flat pedals too and try them out.

I'd like to get some tips on passing people too.

altagirl

Staff member
The demo gear and bikes are free so I'd take advantage of it. It will be easier if you have some flat pedals to try before the clinic, but they will have demo flat pedals if not. And I'd use the demo shin guards and such if you don't have any. If nothing else, it gives you a little more sense of security to try things you haven't before. And it's also nice to try a full face helmet if you're doing lift served. It's not necessary, but if you don't have to pedal up, the extra gear won't hurt any and it's just an extra measure of security.

And I do think it's always a good idea to take advantage of opportunities to learn the things you're NOT good at. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I will be the devils advocate and suggest that if you happy with and comfortable on your bike, and it is appropriate for a clinic, take your own bike. By appropriate I mean that it has the appropriate amount of travel and or correct geometry for the clinic, and it is good working order. If it's a really old not very good bike, then it is certainly time to demo or rent. The last clinic I went to, where it was suggested to have 5/5 in travel, a gal showed up on her 1993 Univega hardtail with a blown front shock and side pull brakes. The coaches insisted she rent something she could be successful on. If you are on a Superlight, that sounds OK to me. I totally agree in taking advantage of any pads, helmet or pedal demos.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I recall, there are always more women at the clinic than available demos, so I'd be leery of counting on them. You may be able to reserve ahead of time.

altagirl

Staff member
As I recall, there are always more women at the clinic than available demos, so I'd be leery of counting on them. You may be able to reserve ahead of time.

You can definitely reserve demo bikes ahead of time if you're interested. Definitely don't count on it unless it's reserved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna