• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Japan in December

Sandrine

Diva in Training
I'm planning a trip to Japan in December and looking for advice. I have to be in Yokohama (just South of Tokyo) from December 4 to 8, so the ski part of the trip would be from December 9 to 14 of this year.
Would it be too risky to plan to ski on the main island this early in the season? I'm not sure how much snow there is there. I could potentially go to Hokkaido, but I'm trying to keep the trip fairly cheap, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Paging @alison wong . Pretty sure she's done some planning for a Dec trip to Japan. Not just for skiing but she's great at researching for any trip.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@Sandrine: very sorry about my late reply. I am also planning my first ski trip to Japan, but my trip is in late December and it will only be ~3 days.

My knowledge about skiing in Japan and ski resorts in Japan is very limited. Based on the research and readings I've done about skiing in Japan, this is what I know:

1) To foreigners, most popular are Niseko and Hakuba. But there are other places, better think of Japan in terms of 'regions' to ski: Hokkaido, Nagano, Yuzawa, Niigata,Tohoku, Aizu region, etc. Website https://www.powderhounds.com/Japan/Resort-Comparisons.aspx provides good info.

Most major resorts in Nagano region can be reached via Shinkansen from Tokyo + bus ride from a Shinkansen station. End to end travel time from Tokyo station is usually 3-4.5 hours (in general). Best to avoid travel really late in the evening as bus service might be limited at that time.

Some of the popular resorts in Nagano are:
- Hakuba
- Nozawa Onsen
- Myoko Kogen (in Niigata, neighbouring Nagano)
- Madarao Kogen
- Shiga Kogen

2) Besides snow conditions and snow depth, do you have preference to stay in places that are western? or traditional Japanese type village? Do you know / speak any Japanese?
There are some Japanese lodging /accommodations (Ryokan) won't host foreigners if they don't speak Japanese. Reason: in case of emergency, they need to be able to communicate with you....

Niseko in Hokkaido is very western, you don't need to know any Japanese to get around.

3) Lodging: recommend Rakuten website.

Hotel cancellation in Japan is quite strict. Usually reservation deposit is non-refundable, based on the research I've done. This is what I know: "Cancellation policies is a vexed issue for lodge owners in Japan. Traditionally when Japanese people book they are genuine and turn up and pay for their accommodation. Unfortunately far too many have been burnt by westerners booking and cancelling at the last minute. Or booking multiple places and only turning up at one place. So these policies have changed.

It might be ok for a big hotel to have a fairly liberal cancellation policy but many Ryokans are small with only dozen rooms, they turn away many other bookings and then if the booking you have is cancelled the day before you arrive, their business will be struggled to survive...."

4) Generally, Japanese hotels don't open booking until around 3 months out. However, if you're looking western owned places, they generally do it in a different way, and have open booking year round.

5) If you won't have rental car and need to rely on public transportation to get to resort, use this website to "time" your arrival and departure, as well as determine how "accessible" the resorts are in reference to public transportation.

https://www.hyperdia.com

6) Some resorts are easier if you have car to get from area "A" to "B" .... if no rental car, I'd avoid those resorts.

7) For me, I plan to go to Nozawa Onsen. I booked my lodging through the local tourism board in Nozawa Onsen.

After I decided on Nozawa Onsen, I started looking for lodging. I don't have much luck using Rakuten website because I am looking for traditional Japanese lodging (Ryokan). Most Ryokans don't have websites, I tried to call but I don't speak Japanese, so I wasn't able to communicate with the hotel staff.

Then I realize there are local tourism boards that can help you to look for lodging and facilitate booking, so I utilized their service. Basically, from the website, you submit a form, provide your criteria, e.g. budget, # of guests, include/exclude meals, traditional tatami or western bed, etc....
It may take few days before they reply back, be patient....

Tourism board websites I am referring are, for e.g.:
1) https://www.naeba.gr.jp/en/
2) https://booking.nozawakanko.jp
3) https://www.kagura-mitsumata.ne.jp/english/mit_area/mit_area.html

My suggestion is, once you decide on where you want to go, if you have trouble finding lodging, try to see if there are local tourism board website, it'd be the best to utilize their service. Staff I dealt with from Nozawa Onsen tourism board are very professional and knowledgable. They found me a place that is very close to bus station. When I asked them about non-skiing activities, they were able to provide detail info. as well..... All these were done in English via email, so communication was not an issue for me.

I also PM'd you about the websites that I'd think you can visit to ask questions....

That's all I know and hope it is helpful.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@alison wong - amazing planning info! I’ve been thinking about Japan since Niseko joined the Ikon pass this year. Your research is very thorough and helpful to consider as I decide on my travel options. Thank you for sharing!

newboots

Angel Diva
I second @Tvan’s comment! @alison wong, when you become the Official Women’s Ski Travel Agent, I will be calling for your services!

alison wong

Angel Diva
I second @Tvan’s comment! @alison wong, when you become the Official Women’s Ski Travel Agent, I will be calling for your services!

Thank you.... When I decide to switch job to become a ski travel agent, you'd be the first one to know and I will give you a discount for my service....

All joking aside, travel planning is my stress reliever. Some people go shopping for stress relief, I plan trips (near and far). I have been doing lots of it this summer!

Daniele

Certified Ski Diva
I'm planning a trip to Japan in December and looking for advice. I have to be in Yokohama (just South of Tokyo) from December 4 to 8, so the ski part of the trip would be from December 9 to 14 of this year.
Would it be too risky to plan to ski on the main island this early in the season? I'm not sure how much snow there is there. I could potentially go to Hokkaido, but I'm trying to keep the trip fairly cheap, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sandrine, I've skied in Japan few times, but by no means an expert. That time of year could be a little risky in terms of snowfall; it could be great, but at the same time it might not be. When I was booking my trip for this year, there were plenty of places through sites like Booking.com that had free cancellation up until about a couple of days beforehand so perhaps check that out. You could even book one place in Honshu and one in Hokkaido and decide a week out which is looking better in terms of conditions. It's not peak season so even booking accommodation last minute probably wouldn't be so difficult.

The skiing in Honshu is great, so if Hokkaido seems too far away or too expensive don't worry. You'll also get a more authentic experince outside of Niseko (and Hakuba to a lesser extent). You can get to Myoko Kogen, Hakuba, Madarao, Nozawa Onsen and Shiga Kogen all by catching the bullet train to Nagano then catching a local bus or train from there, depending where you're going. You can get a JR East pass for 18,900 when you arrive at Narita which can be used any 5 days out 14 days, which is a great option when you'll only be doing the bullet train trips a couple of days. The bullet train goes through Shin-Yokohama, so you can catch it from there or go into Tokyo or Shinjuku depending what you prefer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga