• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

It's usually LITTLE kids we're talking about, but...

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure wish I'd thought to take a picture!

When we started skiing ten seasons ago, we got the girls started too. They were teens, and one had a boyfriend we were bringing up with us. Time passed, marriage, college, etc. got the kids distracted from the sport.

Our oldest grandson is four now. He's in ski school for the first time this month, and he loves it. Our newest son-in-law is in ski school for the first time too. He might not be so sure, but is determined to give this a good chance, because his wife skis and he doesn't want to be a stick in the mud. It's a long way down when you're 6'4" and you tip over on those boards! I sure know what he's feeling, and I'm nowhere near tall like him!

Xander asked the other night if Tim could be in his class. We decided that the little yellow vests with the handles on the back were probably too small for uncle Tim, so he'd have to be in his own class.

Yesterday, we drove them up for class. Daughter, to make things easier for her new husband who's a bit shy, came along, originally planning to hang out in the lodge since it's not cheap to ski for two hours -- but then we discovered the $10 bunny hill only pass, and she decided to ski for a couple of hours too.

DH and I went off on our own.

She re-familiarized herself, and just enjoyed the nasty cold, windy morning.

The boys, Xander and Tim, were in their classes, learning to ride the chair, and make pizzas and french fries with their skis.

WE practiced bumpy pushed around powder skiing.

When we came back after class, Alicia had picked Xander up from the Mouse House and taken him up the chair -- and gotten him another sticker on his season pass -- and they'd caught up with Tim.

I wish I'd taken a picture -- they were so cute, the three of them, skiing down like a little family. Auntie 'Licia, Uncle Tim, and little Xander between them. Those two are going to be delightful parents some day!

Tim looked like he felt much better than he had the first run of the day. Both of the grown-up kids were so proud of Xander, telling stories of how he was zipping down with his class, hollering "Hi Tim!" every time they passed, and how he was telling the little "pink marshmallow" in his group how to do things as they skied together when they happened to get a little bit away from their teacher. Alicia was telling his mom when we delivered him back to mom after he slept all the way down the mountain that he was a star pupil, and "I'm not just saying that cuz he's ours!"

What a fun day!

Karen in Boise

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ah, next time remember to bring your camera! You just never know when an incredible Kodak moment will present. At least you've got that "picture" in your brain forever more! Sounds lovely.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The worst of it, MSL, is that the camera was in my pocket -- inside two zippers, and I may have given it a quick thought and figured by the time I got my gloves off and it out and booted up, the picture would be gone. Still, I wish!

Karen in Boise

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an additional, long "lanyard" that I hooked to my camera (along with the camera's own wrist strap) so I can loop it over my neck and then put the camera in my inside jacket pocket. It makes it easy to pull out of the pocket (while remaining attached to me) to take pix then just slide the camera back into the pocket. It looks a little bunchy sometimes, but, oh well, I get good pix.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an additional, long "lanyard" that I hooked to my camera (along with the camera's own wrist strap) so I can loop it over my neck and then put the camera in my inside jacket pocket. It makes it easy to pull out of the pocket (while remaining attached to me) to take pix then just slide the camera back into the pocket. It looks a little bunchy sometimes, but, oh well, I get good pix.

That's brilliant! So doing that for the summit.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we came back after class, Alicia had picked Xander up from the Mouse House and taken him up the chair -- and gotten him another sticker on his season pass -- and they'd caught up with Tim.

Wait a second! Do they still do stickers on season passes at Bogus? Goodness, that brings back memories of totally filled front and back passes. Ah, nostalgia...

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, Robin they still do stickers on the season passes at Bogus!

So, a couple of week have passed, and our boys have "graduated."

BOTH will need plenty more lessons.

Tim learned a very valuable one last weekend, when he got going too fast for himself and had a bit of a nasty crash. He has agreed now that he needs to stick to what he's capable of rather than pushing himself to try to keep up with his darling wife until he's more able to control his speed and has better control over turning and stopping.

The story as I heard it via text message --

They'd gotten well ahead of DH, and grandson Xander and his mom and dad, so after waiting a bit at the lift, decided to go up and check on things.

Alicia suggested to Tim that he take his familiar, easier route, and she would go the higher route that the others had tried (with the four year old? the kid who was nearly asleep on the lift on the way up?)

He chose to try the more challenging route with her, and got nearly to the bottom before having any sort of mishap. He'd gotten going too fast for himself, and couldn't manage to turn away from the tree stump that was looming fast.

Alicia was mighty concerned.

Tim is still achy, nearly a week later.

She asked him what happened.

He's an adorable young man -- again, pictures of this rookie skier would be delightful to have. He's 6'4, thin and gangly. Never been athletic in his life, holds the poles all goofy, does pizza really well, and has this big grin all the while he looks somewhat terrified on the way down any given run.

He told her he wasn't sure, exactly, but that it MIGHT have had something to do with sliding down the hill on two waxed planks.

Alicia said, easily avoided, we can have you never do this again.

His response? That's unacceptable.

She says she'll never introduce him to skiing again.

(with his early fall record, she was kind of hoping he'd be willing to quit. She says "dammit, he likes it!" HE says he's stubborn and WILL get the hang of it! DH says she's just forgotten about all the falling down when she was getting started.)

They stopped at the ski shop today to pick up a new pair of extra long ski pants that actually fit him, and his brand new season ski pass for next season, on their way up to ski today.

With about 20 inches of new snow this week, DH and I were up there by 10a.m. when the mountain opened (along with what appeared to be half the population of Boise), and when last we saw Alicia and Tim around 4:20p.m., he'd stayed upright so far -- and both appeared to be having a fine time.

I haven't heard yet if things continued to go well, and I hope that's a good sign -- they were supposed to be going to his family's for dinner this evening. I'll cross my fingers for a bedtime ski report from Alicia!

Karen in Boise

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more update --

Xander wants to solve Mommy's whining problem: mommy got cold today. He's having great fun skiing, and can get onto and off of the chair himself, at least on the "baby hill." The others are all a bit higher, and he needs a bit of a boost. Generally, he misses all of the obstacles. We went on "Tim's run" today -- a long cat track and about a third of a real run, followed by the cat track back to the lift. We were learning about traversing today, cuz straight down is too fast and spooky. Used the ski pole much like a hula hoop, and instead of the fear that this run inspired last time (with daddy and grandpa), we "wheeeed" all the way down today, and wanted to go around again!

Tim, he stayed upright again today, and got safely down two runs that have had him splattered on the hillside before today. Alicia is glad about this, and HE is delighted with skiing! He's thanked us several times for the lessons, and the season pass (which came with the lessons -- it's for next year, but good for the rest of this year too! AND he gets equipment rental the rest of this season -- SUCH a bargain!). Today, he said again "Thank you SO much for skiing!" He said it feels like flying must, and he can hardly wait to be skiing all over the mountain, though as mentioned above, he has learned that he must crawl before he runs!

What a kid! (yeah, he's 32, but what a kid!)

Oh yeah -- DH and I, we practiced some bump skiing, and some powder skiing, when we weren't playing with all our kids!

Karen in Boise

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga