• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is the K2 True Luv right for me??

madelyn_teresa

Diva in Training
Hi Ski Divas

I’m so thankful for this site and the collective knowledge of all the divas. I’ve been researching to purchase some new gear and was hoping that some Divas could help me with a few questions.

About me: I grew up in central Alaska skiing at small resorts. At my peak I was comfortable on a black diamond, probably an intermediate skier. However, when I moved to northern CA I didn’t ski for about 7 years. Over the last 3-4 years I have returned to skiing but have only made it to Tahoe about 2-6 per season. So, Although I have skied for 20 years, my ability level is probably something less then intermediate. BUT – I’m looking to change that this season. This year I have bought a season pass at Heavenly and bought into a ski lease to so I plan to be in Tahoe every other weekend (skiing both Sat & Sun). The reason for my posting is that I’m looking to purchase some gear.

Height: 5’2”
Weight: 110-120
I currently ski blue runs comfortably

Based on all the info I’ve read on this site I have decided to go see a custom boot fitter. I went into reputable ski shop in San Mateo and began asking about the custom boot fitting and was basically told that “zip lining” or the custom foam fitting was for advanced skiers and that since I wasn’t at the level it was unnecessary. Is that true? Any thoughts on the custom boot fitting?

After researching, I think I want to purchase the K2 True Luv. Although it is an intermediate ski, I’ve heard K2 skis are forgiving. My thinking was that this ski would also give me something to grow into this season and next. Does this sound about right? Also, at 5’2” / 115lbs – should I go for the 149 or the 156?

I’ve attended three ski swaps in Northern CA looking for a deal on a used K2 true luv – but I didn’t find anything. The swaps themselves didn’t have much used or demo skis. Actually, they seemed like a ploy to get people like me to show up to the store and shop for new gear. So, I’ve found a new pair online but they are out of my price range. Any thoughts on how or where to find this ski used?

Anyway - Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Jilly

Staff member
I can't comment on the K2's as I no experience with them, but boot fitting is another thing.

Do not go back to that shop!! Wrong attitude there. Since you're skiing most of the time at Tahoe, I would look for a reputable shop there. That is where you'll be skiing and that's where you'll want any problems fixed NOW! California/Tahoe Diva's - beside Start Haus in Reno???

Liners are not the total answer to a boot fit. Read our section in the gearpedia about boot fittings then you can go in armed and dangerous. Shell fits, foot beds etc. Not just liners. If they ask you your running shoe size and don't put you on the foot measure, politely walk away!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to also recommend Start Haus (which is in Truckee) but seeing she will be skiing at Heavenly, that's rather out of the way. Not sure of good shops on the south shore of Tahoe.

That being said, the True Luv (which is last year's model, correct?) might not be enough ski for you. I'll let others pipe in on that, though. I can only say that I'm probably not as advanced a skier as you, and I bought the Lotta Luvs last year and they have worked out great for me. As for finding deals, you could try ebay, and of course post a WTB thread here :D

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also agreeing with contesstant...the True Luv's may not be enough for you. If you're dead set on sticking with K2, I'd check out the One Luv or the Lotta Luv. I've skied both of them and I prefer my Lotta Luv's. They are super in all kinds of conditions. I've mostly skied them in crud or ice because that's what I get on the East Coast. It's a pretty forgiving ski. I wouldn't worry about it being too advanced.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2011 Dynastar Exclusive Legend Idyll 152.
https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-exclusive-legend-idyll-womens.aspx
20% off with coupon FIRSTSNOW.
$298 & change, absolutely killer deal for a ski I would highly recommend to an intermediate, and this one will take you awhile to outgrow, PLUS will do mixed snow and not-super-deep powder.

LOTS of good deals on great 2011 skis on that site! I do see the K2 Lotta Luvs, which I would think with the mild rocker you could do a 156, although a 149 would probably work, too. The unfortunate thing about buying last year's skis is you can't demo them anymore. I have decided that this winter, I am going to demo then wait for the skis to go on sale :D Make sure if you DO buy from EVO to check if the skis are sold with bindings or not. Bindings will add $200+ to the price.

I made the plunge last year, after a long hiatus myself, and bought without demoing. I have been really happy with the Lotta Luvs, but can't get past the fact that there might be a better ski out there for me.

Another option for you might be to demo a ski that hasn't changed since last year's model. Or demo this year's but be prepared to pay more for them.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been skiing True Luvs for 3 years now, 163 cm. I'm a bigger girl than you and I have started wondering if (1) I need a heavier, more aggressive ski and (2) if my abilities have surpassed the ski. So if you're comfortable on Tahoe's blues then I would agree with the other Divas, go bigger (i.e. more ski). I have hear GREAT things about those Dynastars and that's a pretty hard price to beat, even with having to add bindings to the setup.

I bought a pair of Tough Luvs last year and I understand they are the women's equivalent of K2's Apache Recon, which DH has and he says they wanna go FAST. I'm a little apprehensive, but still excited to try them; that said - I'll be keeping those True Luvs for the time being. Just in case!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna